Diglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

15 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Indonesian, Malay

Message 1 of 3
07 April 2013 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I have recently come across a free Indonesian course offered online by the University of
Hawaii. It includes over 100 lessons with audio and Anki flashcard decks. Has anyone had
any experience using this program?

The Indonesian Way

http://ipll.manoa.hawaii.edu/ind/tiw/lessons/
13 persons have voted this message useful

snoonan
Triglot
United States
learningindones
Joined 6047 days ago

23 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Indonesian

Message 2 of 3
08 April 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
mgr.graham wrote:
I have recently come across a free Indonesian course offered online by the University of
Hawaii. It includes over 100 lessons with audio and Anki flashcard decks. Has anyone had
any experience using this program?

The Indonesian Way

http://ipll.manoa.hawaii.edu/ind/tiw/lessons/

FIrst, let me say I'm biased as professional course developer for Indonesian. This is solid content for self-motivated
learners willing to do their own exercises. I think it lacks a progressive learning curve and directed prompting to
make things easier, which may be difficult for a lot of new learners. That can be overcome by working through it
with some extra discipline, though.

It's good work and I would honestly love to have these dialogs in my own program. You might pair it with the easier
free lessons on my site if you need a kickstart from absolute zero knowledge (sort of Michel Thomas / Pimsleur
directed approach as starting point). If you can fill the gap between that and this material, you should do fine with
it. Take that biased opinion for what it's worth. I believe it personally and it's why I worked with my wife to help me
learn myself.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 3 of 3
08 April 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
It seems very comprehensive!! Reminds me of the old Malay course from a French website, but it's much more comprehensive, or so it seems.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version