simonov
Portugal
Joined 5377 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 25 of 28
11 April 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Yes. I can talk to people, and I can read slowly, but I am not functional at B1+. I certainly don't understand almost everything. At least not everything written.
Anyway we just have different criteria for what it means to speak a language.

If you can talk to people, then you can speak the language. And if you have problems understanding what you read, then you are not functional as far as "reading" is concerned, and you had better concentrate on that, rather than tell other people that they can't "speak" because you can't "read".
I think Tim Doner is quite exceptional, don't you? Isn't that why you are so upset?
3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 28
11 April 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

In fact, when you look at how many people study languages and usually have very little to show for it, achieving a high level of proficiency as an adult is a major accomplishment.

I agree with basically your whole post, but I would quibble with this one statement. I think lots of people achieve a high level of proficiency with a language as adults. I grew up in Melbourne, and my mother and grandmother were both refugees from Lithuanian. My grandmother and mother both spoke Lithuanian, fluent German (C1+ - my mother was enrolled in school in Germany from 1942-1948) and English. My grandmother also spoke Russian but I am not sure at what level. I grew up with Italian neighbors that had emigrated from a poor village outside of Florence, and they all learnt English to C2+ level. My first girlfriend was Greek and her family likewise had learnt English to C2 level.

I guess one aspect of this is that none of these people would have claimed to have spoken English well until they were basically fluent (C2). It's the (bad) reason I didn't grow up bilingual in Lithuanian and English (even German) because immigrants (at least at that time in Australia - 1940s-1970s) wanted to blend in and language ability was a real determinant as to whether you achieved that.

I have never really thought about it before, but that's probably why when someone says they "speak" a language, I assume they mean they are relatively fluent if not in the C2 level of my family and my childhood neighbors, but at least at a C1-level. Of course, other people are welcome to claim speaking/fluency at much lower levels if that works for them. Perhaps the big difference between me and some of the others here, is that I an immigrant to Germany attempting to learn German, so just like my family B1 German (or even C1 German) is not the right level for me to function properly.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 28
11 April 2013 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
simonov wrote:

I think Tim Doner is quite exceptional, don't you? Isn't that why you are so upset?

I think you are implying the wrong motivations to me. Really. I am always amazed at good language learners (as I said my grandmother spoke 4 languages, my mother three, my wife 3-4 - not sure if she'd count her Latin). One of my heroes at university up in the early 1980s was Richard Burton and his amazing command of languages.

So no I am not upset because I think Tim Doner is exceptional. I would be amazed and delighted if I actually found out he could speak all the languages he claims to speak.

Edited by patrickwilken on 11 April 2013 at 2:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6167 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 28
11 April 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
So no I am not upset because I think Tim Doner is exceptional.

On that note, we can close this thread.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version