Tags: Cantonese | Hindi | German | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 29
15 April 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
So, I wanted to post more on this forum, but I have little to contribute, and most of my questions have been answered, so I figured I should start my log. This is going to be my single all purpose language learning log, that I'll use for as long as I post here.

Intro
------------
So I love watching films, and particularly I love watching films from all different countries. For years I was content watching films with subtitles, but the more I explored the more I realized how many film industries were completely inaccessible to English-speaking monoglots. So I decided I want try to reach a level of basic comprehension in as many languages as I can over my lifetime. This doesn't necessarily mean I'll stop studying a language when I hit basic comprehension, just that for my current language learning needs, I'd rather be able to understand many languages, than be able to speak fluently with a perfect accent in a few. Though I do hope to go beyond simple comprehension with some of my main languages.

I will focus on language learning, but will probably also post about how language learning affects my experiences watching films. I'll try to update once a week at first, but I may change to once a month, if I don't think weekly updates are interesting enough.

Languages
------------
So despite many warnings that it's better to study only 1-2 languages at a time, I've decided to try and do 3-4. My reasoning for this is because I spend a lot of time watching films in all different languages. So I want to be able to get language learning benefits from my time watching films as soon as possible.

To avoid some of the common problems with trying to learn too many languages at once, I've decided to employ the following methods. 1) My first set of languages I have chosen are all different enough there shouldn't be much risk of getting them confused. 2) I will try and practice every language ever day to keep them all fresh. 3) I have prioritized the languages and will study them in order of priority every day, so if I end up spreading myself too thin, I won't be hurting the progress of my higher priority languages.

The first 4 languages I'm trying to learn are the most important, and I'm hoping to go beyond simple comprehension and be able to speak and write proficiently in all these languages one day, no matter how long it takes.

1) Cantonese - Hong Kong cinema is my favorite national cinemas, and I really love the culture and want to learn more about it. Many Hong Kong films are available in English, so I'm not really learning Cantonese to be able to study them, though it will help for studying Cantonese films from before the 1960s. Mostly I just want to learn as much about the culture as possible, and one day visit Hong Kong.

2) French - There are tons of great french films from the dawn of cinema to the present. A lot of them are available in English, but I'm also studying French to be able to read in French as well, and because I find it easier than Cantonese so it makes a nice #2 language.

3) Hindi - I'm not very familiar with Hindi language cinema, but I've been wanting to explore it in more depth for a long time. A lot of Hindi films are available in English, but there are many film industries in closely related languages that aren't. So a big reason for learning Hindi is as a jumping off point for many future languages I'd like to learn. Since this is my #3 language I'm going to take my studies slowly and try to stress retention over learning new things. Basically I'm planning on studying this more intensely in the future, so for now I'm just trying to slowly develop a sturdy base in the basics of this language.

4) German - I studied German in high school, and there are quite a few great German films, and lots of great German literature. I'm not going to study this every day, only if I have some desire to after I practice my other 3 languages. Once I get good enough in one of the others I'll start studying German more intensely.

After I get good enough with these 4, next on my hit list would be Malay/Indonesian, Turkish, Punjabi, Telugu, Pashto, Russian, and Czech, but that day will be a long time from now and my goals may change between now and then.

Added Languages
I decided whenever I add a new language I'll add a description to my initial post. Though I'll leave the original section unchanged for the sake of documentation

5) Indonesian - My primary interest in Indonesian is for it's mutual intelligibility with Malay. A lot of the big film studios in Hong Kong like Shaw Brothers made Malay language films in a 50s. These films aren't available in English, and I consider them absolutely essential for my study of Hong Kong cinema. Additionally there a lot of interesting Indonesian films out there as well, so that's an added bonus.

6) Russian - Russian was non-essential for me, because a lot of Russian culture is available to English speakers. I'm primarily studying it because of it's supposed difficulty combined with the fact there are tons of great learning materials for it, and I just can't resist to see what matters more in learning a language. It doesn't hurt that there's tons and tons of great Russian cinema and literature. Even if I can consume them in English translations, it's always more fun in the original language.

Progress
------------
This is the format all my future entries will take. I'll post my progress in each individual language first, then my overall thoughts on doing multiple languages at once.

Cantonese
------------
Completed: Pimsleur Cantonese I

Current Tools: FSI Cantonese Lesson 3, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lessson 3, Anki

Thoughts: Pimsleur Cantonese gave me a great base I'd say, and learning Cantonese has been lots of fun so far. I'm having a bit of trouble adapting to FSI and Teach Yourself, as they seem to require more active attention and planning on my part than FSI. I started using Anki as a study tool for the vocab I pick up from FSI and TY, since the words don't become a natural part of my vocabulary upon completing a lesson. My current method is to do the lesson, study with Anki, and then keep re-doing the lesson until I feel I have a solid grasp of the material. So far I enjoy Cantonese a lot, the most difficult thing is the non-intuitive vocabulary. Speaking tones doesn't seem to be too problematic, but I'm sure when I get into higher level listening, I'll be struggling to figure out which word they meant.

French
------------
Completed: Pimsleur French I, Michel Thomas Foundations

Current Tools: Pimsleur French II, Duolingo

Thoughts: French is a lot of fun, and I find it much easier than cantonese mainly due to the partially intuitive vocabulary, though the grammar is more difficult. At first I started charging through Pimsleur as fast as I could, but eventually I got lost by the grammar. Michel Thomas helped me re-gain my bearings in that regard. I'm using Duolingo primarily as reading-writing practice.

Hindi
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Hindi I Lesson 8

Thoughts: Just getting my toes wet with Hindi at the moment, but so far the language is a lot of fun and I haven't encountered anything too difficult yet. Mostly just taking my time and slowly absorbing the vocabulary and making sure I don't forget it.

German
------------
Completed: 5 years of public school German

Current Tools: Pimsleur German I Lesson 3, Duolingo

Thoughts: I'm probably not as good at German as I should be after 5 years of study, because I wasn't really dedicated to it growing up and my public schooling probably didn't employ the best learning techniques. Luckily though I spoke lots of German with my classmates outside of class, so I find German grammar to be pretty intuitive. My pronunciation is awful though, so I plan on going through Pimsleur from the beginning. I've only done a little bit of practice with German so far, but it seems to come back to me quite readily.

Overall Thoughts
------------
So far I'm pretty comfortable studying these languages simultaneously. I don't have too many issues with mixing them up, though sometimes if I switch from doing Pimsleur in one language to another, I'm tempted to answer in my previous language for a few minutes. But then I get into the groove of the next language I'm practicing and they're different enough I haven't mixed any of them up so far. I find switching between languages makes studying a lot more fun, and I've actually been better about studying every day since I added French and Hindi into my program as opposed to when I was just doing Cantonese by itself. Hopefully my enthusiasm holds up in the long run.

Edited by YnEoS on 15 June 2013 at 6:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 29
21 April 2013 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Time for my next update...

Cantonese
------------

Current Tools: DLI Vol 1 Lessons 11-14, FSI Cantonese Lesson 5, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lessson 3-4, Anki, Naked Cantonese Lesson 12, Popup Cantonese

Thoughts: I was a bit discouraged at the beginning of this week, because I didn't feel like I was getting a lot out of FSI and Teach Yourself Cantonese for the amount of time I was putting into studying them. My biggest problem with FSI is that the drills have really complicated instruction, and even when I'm familiar with all the words in grammar I find it's difficult to do the drills without the book in front of me, just to remind myself. I'm just not quick enough in Cantonese yet to be able to figure out what they want me to do from the example, then remember what they said while listening for "nod" or "shake" of the head, and trying to figure out what I was supposed to do on that command.

So I started using the Naked Cantonese and Popup Cantonese podcasts to keep practicing each day and keep Cantonese fun. Then I decided to try the DLI course and have to say I prefer it way more than FSI, the drills are much more direct and to the point, and the material is very comprehensive. So DLI is going to be my main learning program, though. Though I like reading through FSI and Teach Yourself for learning grammar and cultural notes, and getting vocabulary for Anki, and also just to help gauge my progress. So I'll probably keep doing them, just not as my main study exercises. I also like learning things from multiple sources.

French
------------

Current Tools: Pimsleur French II Lesson 8, Duolingo

Thoughts: Not much to say about french, the language is a lot of fun and it's a lot easier than Cantonese or Hindi so far. Thinking of throwing in Michel Thomas Advanced French into the mix at some point, not sure when though.

Hindi
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Hindi I Lesson 13, Anki

Thoughts: Hindi is quite difficult and I've had to repeat lessons more as I'm getting further. But I enjoy it and I'm glad I'm learning it, albeit slowly. Some of my hiccups with Cantonese have made me realize though, that once I finish Pimsleur Hindi, I probably won't be able to move on to more intensive Hindi materials until after I've reached a good spot with Cantonese. So I've started using Anki with Hindi to practice the Hindi Alphabet, and I think when I've completed Pimsleur Hindi, I'm going to study Hindi mostly through Anki/reading, and just do a few brief speaking exercises every day to keep in practice. I feel this way I can slowly build up my vocabulary so when I'm ready to start studying Hindi full time, I'll have a strong base and I'll be pretty familiar with the writing.

German
------------

Current Tools: Pimsleur German I Lesson 3, Duolingo

Thoughts: Haven't been studying German at all, but in terms of my overall study plan I think once I finish Pimsleur Hindi, I'm going to start doing 1 lesson of Pimsleur German a day to start re-activating it slowly and work on my pronunciation. I probably won't be able to begin studying it intensely til I'm in a good place with my French.

Overall Thoughts
------------
I'm still really happy to be actively studying 3 languages, and the whole process is a lot of fun. Some of these early challenges are making me re-consider some of my choices for my next languages, as I'm realizing how much an impact having good study materials available has on acquiring a language. Of course this is years away, but I think when I'm ready to throw another language into the rotation, Russian will be a much stronger candidate because of how many great materials are available for it.

Edited by YnEoS on 21 April 2013 at 5:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5002 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 29
21 April 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forums, YnEoS. I don't know whether it would be feasible for you to visit Canada in Autumn,
but as I wrote on another thread...

... for a wonderful binge, I can recommend the Toronto Film Festival in September:
TIFF: "Over 300 films, from 60+ countries", in ten days.

All usually undubbed, and - if not in already English - subtitled in English.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. - I've attended every year since 1990.

3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 4 of 29
21 April 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the welcome!

Not sure I'd be able to make it this year to TIFF, but it's a festival I definitely hope to go to one day!
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 5 of 29
28 April 2013 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
Cantonese
------------

Current Tools: DLI Vol 1 Lessons 11-20, Sidney Lau Vol 1 Lesson 3, FSI Cantonese Lesson 6, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lessson 3-5, Anki, Naked Cantonese Lesson 12, Popup Cantonese

Thoughts: Added yet another learning method to my crazy Cantonese attempt, doing Sidney Lau Cantonese, which I like a lot. Right now I think DLI, Sidney Lau, and TY will be my main methods of learning. It seems like most of my learning methods have a steeper learning curve than I'm ready for. So I feel like if I keep trying to learn from a bunch of different methods at some point something will click and I'll push forward.

So far I haven't really been advancing very fast with any of my methods, but they're all getting clearer and clearer every time. It feels like with Pimsleur I was learning small bits at a time, but I learned them well and moved on. Now it feels like I'm trying to learn a lot that's beyond my level, but I'm slowly getting more and more comfortable with it. Hopefully I'll move on from my current lessons soon and start working on new material.

French
------------

Current Tools: Pimsleur French II Lesson 20, Duolingo

Thoughts: Not much has changed with this one, though I'm now technically half way through Pimsleur, having done 50 of the 100 lessons. Excited to see how far a full Pimsleur program gets me compared to the smaller ones.

Hindi
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Hindi I Lesson 16, Anki

Thoughts: Still chugging along very slowly with Hindi, but I feel like I made a lot of progress this week. I had to re-do a lot of Pimsleur lessons, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the very basic grammar I have to use for these lessons.

German
------------

Current Tools: Pimsleur German I Lesson 5, Duolingo

Thoughts: I did 2 more lessons of Pimsleur German because I had some extra time, and it immediately began interfering with my French, if I couldn't conjure up a French word right away, German rushed in. Gonna avoid German for a while til my French gets further. Hopefully it has more to do with the similar cues from Pimsleur than from the languages themselves, and when I move on from French Pimsleur I'll be able to start Pimsleur German without too much trouble.

Overall Thoughts
------------
Really enjoying it so far, and I think language learning is becoming a pretty strong staple of my daily routine. I'm a bit worried about what I'm going to do once I finish my pimsleur lessons, since one of the reasons I'm able to study 3 languages a day, is because I can use Pimsleur while I'm cooking and doing chores. Maybe I'll see how moving to shadowing works (does it count as shadowing if you're not walking outside?). Though I'm also pretty tempted to try and complete as many Pimsleur programs as possible, just to have a base in many different languages. Though I don't want to abandon any of my current languages. I'll just have to wait and see how other programs can be integrated into my schedule.

Edited by YnEoS on 28 April 2013 at 7:01am

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 6 of 29
07 May 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I was on a film set this past weekend so I couldn't study or update my log then, here is my current progress.

Cantonese
------------

Current Tools: Sidney Lau Vol 1 Lesson 5, DLI Vol 1 Lessons 15-20, FSI Cantonese Lesson 6, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lessson 3-5, Anki, Naked Cantonese Lesson 13, Popup Cantonese

Thoughts: Still having trouble finding a good rhythm for studying Cantonese. It feels like I need 1-2 hours of focused study to get anywhere with the language. I've been trying to find more efficient ways of using my materials. I edited some of the early TY dialogues so they only had the dialogues and none of the questions in between, and I've been shadowing these. Still, I find the lack of an English translation of the dialogues in TY to be really frustrating. It's annoying to go back and forth between the dialogue and the vocab list to figure out the words, and sometimes even knowing all the words I'm not always 100% sure I have the exact meaning. I think I'm going to spend less time with TY and focus more on Sidney Lau and DLI

DLI is going well, but the learning curve seems quite steep. I found though that the Cantonese and translated texts can quite quickly be put together to make a good bilingual sheet for L-R. I used this to help me master one of the dialogues that was giving me trouble, and plan on using it more on future lessons.

Although recently I was a bit intimidated by written Chinese, I've found noticing characters in the Sidney Lau book to be quite helpful in remembering words. So I've increased my number of anki cards for written Chinese characters, and I hope to start learning to read Chinese soon.

Sidney Lau seems to have a more comfortable learning curve than my other materials, and I really enjoy the provided drills. That in addition to having English, Written Cantonese, and Romanization all on the same page I think makes this my favorite resource so far. This week I'm going to try and focus more heavily on Sidney Lau, and see if that makes it easier to progress with DLI and the other programs.

French
------------

Current Tools: Pimsleur French II Lesson 29, Duolingo

Thoughts: Just moving through Pimsleur lessons.

Hindi
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Hindi I Lesson 21, Anki

Thoughts: I always worry about how well I will retain my Hindi, since so far it feels a lot less intuitive than French or Cantonese. I was worried missing 2 days of study, I'd lose a lot of progress with my Hindi studies, but I found I got back into them quite comfortable and they're starting to feel quite a bit more intuitive than they were before.

German
------------

Thoughts: No studying this week

Overall Thoughts
------------
Not much has changed with my overall program, just my mind is dancing around with the possibilities of which languages to throw in next. Right now I'm really interested in Russian, Czech, Korean, Indonesian, and Pashto. I've been playing around a bit with Learning Indonesian lessons, but not enough to start a log about it yet.

Edited by YnEoS on 07 May 2013 at 4:48pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 7 of 29
13 May 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Cantonese
------------

Current Tools: Sidney Lau Vol 1 Lesson 6, DLI Vol 1 Lessons 15-23, FSI Cantonese Lesson 6, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lessson 3-5, Anki, Naked Cantonese Lesson 30, Popup Cantonese

Thoughts: Didn't get to study as much Cantonese as I'd've liked this week, but I think my studies are beginning to settle down a bit. Switching over to studying characters rather than romanizations has made Anki a lot more fun. Sidney Lau is still my favorite thing ever. Overall Cantonese has been quite challenging, but I think I'm learning a lot about my learning process overall. I have trouble hitting the same content over and over, but I find if I'm having trouble with one lesson, I can move onto the next one, and when I go back to the previous one it doesn't seem quite so challenging.

French
------------
Completed: Pimsleur French I & II, Michel Thomas Foundations

Current Tools: Pimsleur French III Lesson 8, Advanced Michel Thomas Lesson 1, Duolingo

Thoughts: Still going strong with French, I started the Advanced Michel Thomas course in addition to my normal Pimsleur studies.

Hindi
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Hindi I Lesson 28, Anki

Thoughts: Still my slowest and weakest language, but I can feel it starting to sink in more and more. For the first time this week when doing Pimsleur French, I had a few urges to respond in Hindi (normally when doing Pimsleur, French comes to mind when I can't think of a response in the language I'm studying). I've been fitting in more Hindi study time because I'm nearing the end of the Pimsleur course.

German
------------

Overall Thoughts
------------
Still very happy with how everything is going. Getting a bit nervous about how my program will change once I run out of Pimsleur lessons for French and Hindi, but I'll go over that more when I come to it, instead of flooding my log with what-if scenarios.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 8 of 29
19 May 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
So, this week I finished all the Pimsleur Hindi lessons, which brought up the question of how should I continue my Hindi studies. I realize I have quite a bit of time for using Pimsleur, since I can do it while doing other things, but a limited amount of time for direct language study. Since I really don't want to take time away from my French and Cantonese studies, which I consider most important, I decided on a new plan.

I decided rather than continue to dedicate a lot of time to Hindi, I would start a new language program, Pimsleur Indonesian to do in the time I normally would practice Hindi. However I didn't want to abandon Hindi completely and slowly forget it, so I decided to learn the Devangari script. From now I'll just study a tiny bit of Hindi every day, by using an Anki deck to practice reading and increase my vocabulary, and shadowing 10 minutes or so of Teach Yourself Hindi dialogues to keep in the habit of speaking and to keep up my pronunciation. When my french is good enough, I hope to pick up Hindi again more seriously in the future with Assimil Hindi.

I've decided that since there are a lot of languages I hope to learn, and since I'm a bit impatient to get to them, I'm going to go through all their Pimsleur programs one by one. This will mostly be to satisfy my curiosity, and to get a feel for the language. But I'm hoping to also maintain practicing those languages for a very short time every day, so that when I'm able to dedicate serious study to them, hopefully I'll have a good head start and a bit of grammar and vocabulary will have sunk in already.

Cantonese
------------

Current Tools: Sidney Lau Vol 1 Lesson 8, DLI Vol 1 Lessons 20-23, FSI Cantonese Lesson 6, Teach Yourself Cantonese Lesson 3-5, Anki, Naked Cantonese Lesson 30, Popup Cantonese

Thoughts: Since I've started using Sidney Lau, I feel like I'm making real progress with Cantonese. Before it felt like I was just switching between materials that were over my head and hoping eventually something would stick. But I find the Sidney Lau drills are really effects for getting down the grammar, and I found that after doing more Sidney Lau lessons I was able to get more out of the DLI. Gonna stick to daily Sidney Lau practice, and once I've gotten through it try the other materials and see if they're more accessible.

French
------------
Completed: Pimsleur French I & II, Advanced Michel Thomas & Foundations

Current Tools: Pimsleur French III Lesson 17, Duolingo

Thoughts: I went through the Michel Thomas Advanced course, though it was all at a much higher level than what I'm currently doing. I'm glad to know what's ahead of me with French, but I think I might re-do the Advanced course later down the road when I'm doing the relevant daily practice to make those grammar rules stick and become intuitive.

Indonesian
------------
Current Tools: Pimsleur Indonesian I Lesson 5, Learning Indonesian Lesson 10, Anki

Thoughts: Really enjoying Indonesian so far, though I've only gotten a taste of it. I'm using an Anki deck with a few hundred words and audio for pronunciations. When I finish the Pimsleur program I'll switch to a bigger deck without audio, and hopefully my pronunciation will be good enough then not to need it.

Hindi
------------
Completed: Pimsleur Hindi I, Pimsleur Reading I, Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script

Current Tools: Teach Yourself Hindi, Anki

Thoughts: Finished Pimsleur Hindi, and decided I needed to learn the Devangari script for effective further study. I'd been practicing the letters with an Anki deck for a while, which helped me get familiar with them, but definitely didn't prepare me to read words. When using Pimsleur, I usually skip the reading lessons, because I always assumed they weren't as effective, and were just there for the sake they had a reading component. I'm still not sure I would use them for every language, but I have to say for learning the Devangari script, they were wonderful. They don't really give you much practice with actual "reading" but I would say they are very effective exercises for learning to pronounce the Devangari alphabet. I also really enjoyed Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script, which had some useful tips on pronunciation and good explanations of everything.

At the moment I'm practicing reading by using an Anki deck of 200 or so words with audio pronunciations. At the moment I'd say I get roughly 2/3 of them right just from the script, and the ones I get wrong I'm usually off by one letter. I'll probably run through the Pimsleur reading exercises one more time as well to make sure I really know it.

After that I'll switch to a larger deck of the vocabulary from the Teach Yourself series. I won't have audio on hand, but hopefully my pronunciation of the script will be good enough by then, and hopefully I'll start recognizing words from the Teach Yourself dialogues, so I can check that my pronunciation is correct. I'm not sure how much I'll learn with this method, my only goals are to get more comfortable reading Hindi, to slowly expand my vocabulary, and to keep up my practice of pronunciation and speaking. It would be an added bonus though, if by repeating the dialogues daily, while studying the vocabulary they use, if I start naturally understanding them and perhaps even picking up an intuitive grasp of the grammar. I'm not counting on this, but if it starts happening, I'll update my progress here and show up to which lesson I can completely understand.

German
------------

Overall Thoughts
------------
So far I'm pretty excited with my new plan. I figure since some people try to study 5+ languages every day in very small intervals, why not study 1 or 2 languages intensely, and have a few other that I'm just exercising slowly. Whatever the outcome I'm having lots of fun playing around with all the different languages I've always wanted to speak, and also enjoying the more serious study I'm dedicating to my Cantonese and French.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version