Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 97 of 812
13 September 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
13th of September
You know, I can actually feel how offended German is leaving me, how language feels himself neglected.
I'd be extremely happy to pull him back, but I do not know how.
So, after yesterday's post in Authors with unique language styles thread I felt need to re-read Russian literature a but. Today morning I listened to some poetry (Mayakovsky, Pushkin, Yesenin, Blok...) and downloaded some prose to read. Starting with Накануне (On the Eve). But, as it usually happens to me, some crazy idea distracted me.
In another thread I wrote that I don't even dare to try to learn French. In some spite of protest I opened vk.com group of Russian "Polyglot" show and watched French season. Well... watched is not quite the word... I stopped after one and half series.
Not that it's too tricky or difficult - no, not at all! But all French things only disturb me now, I do not feel real desire to learn it. Funny to see how teacher is avoiding all pronunciation topics, telling some common advices which is completely useless in my case. Speak through the nose? Hehe, am I not speaking like this all the time?
But situation with different verb endings and same pronunciation is not at all funny. It's stupid for me now. I can't express it better with other words.
But I do like "Polyglot". I mentioned it here before and I'll say it again - I can't wait for German season! They promised it to come in the end of this year, and I'm waiting with eager.
It just gets me mad to think that there are seasons of English, Italian, French and Spanish (in that order), but no German yet! Aaaaargh!
I'll try to do Anki today, but now I'm off to re-watching "Now You See Me". Saw that in cinema with Russian dubbing, now it's time to English subs and original sound ^_^

And, my dear German language, come back to me, please!

Yeah, in THAT order :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 98 of 812
14 September 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Nothing to describe about actual learning. But I tried to read in German. Since I have absolutely no reading experience, I got awful result. But I want to share it, that should help me to check if there would be any progress.
I searched for some A1 text in google despite having two books on hard drive. I do not know why I can't choose something easy, maybe I'm just some king of crazy idiot?
So, here's text that I read:
Quote:
Dort wo die Bäume fast im Eis verenden hat der Winter selbst in dunkler Nacht seinen ganzen Prunk
entfacht. Hier glitzert Schnee wie weißes Silber und vor Kälte bleibt die Luft erstarrt. Man sieht nur
Holz und Weiß und Eis. Zwei öd’ Gehöft mit Vieh und Schuppen scheinen sich wie unberührte Seelen
zu entpuppen. Und doch ist hier noch Leben drin, vielmehr noch sitzt auf jedem Stuhl die Brut vom
Sündenpfuhl.
Der finstere Gesell stampft lüstern vorwärts und hält seine Gabel weit nach vorn gerichtet. „Anatol,
so geh doch, geh!“ Sein Knecht, er zieht und zieht die Kreuz’ hinauf zum ersten Schuppen. Und
während hier die Nacht noch schweigend Einzug hält, hat ihm der finstere Gesell schon längst bestellt,
den Schlitten schleunig abzuladen und für jedes Kreuz ein eignes Loch zu graben. „Stell auf die Kreuz
und mach dich frei. Nun sehn‘ ich Mord für Mord herbei. Ich hab‘ den Mut, ich hab‘ die Macht, bald
rinnt süß Blut durch Schnee und Nacht.“
Welch Argwohn steckt nun hinter diesem Hof? Welch tiefer Abgrund hat sich hier bloß über Jahre
aufgetan? Sind’s gar die Früchte einer strikt verbot’nen Saat? Hier sahen die Kinder immer anders
aus, der Prunk des Winters war bestimmt ihr größter Graus. Für den finsteren Gesell ist der Winter
mehr als eine Muse. Der Prunk des Winters schürt in Schüben Häme, Rausch und Lust. Die Wogen fast
verfror’ner, eisig kalter Bäche treiben seine Glieder an. Im Frost des Waldes fühlt er all die Macht von
Kälte, Sturm und Schnee, von Mord, Gemetzel, Blut und Weh’. Der Winter hüllt sich Berg und Wald, ja
Bach und See in ein großes, weißes Meer. Er tilgt die Blätter, macht die Wiesen schwer und löscht den
Klee. Genau in diese Schönheit dann malt der finstere Gesell mit rotem Pinsel nun die Menschen an.
Für ihn ist’s dreiste Anarchie, des Waldes Klang und Poesie.

You can check the normal sounding of first two indents (not sure if this the right word, in Russian I meant абзац) by listening to the song Angizia - Ich hab‘ den Mut, ich hab‘ die Macht.
And here's my reading.
Any feedback would be good. Of course, even I understand that somewhere were wrong stresses, but the most worrying things for me now are called umlaut. I consider that they behave themselves somewhat like this: ö as Russian ё, ä as Russian э and ü as Russian ю. How close to the reality is that?..

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 99 of 812
15 September 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
15th of September

Even my smartphone thinks that I'm mad, hehe.
After this bad reading I felt need to listen to the very album, and, apparently, it meant something.
Well, that wasn't all that I heard in German yesterday, I did LR chapter 3 of HP1 (I don't want even think how much it'll take time to be finished). Then I remembered that I downloaded audio of Faust in German and Russian. No, no, no, I didn't intended to use it as educational material, but it was rather interesting to compare. Russian version won without proper fight.
Then in 1:08 AM approximately I started using my phone in educational purpose, trying to get low battery.
Seriously.
It was much easier for me to play a bit or listen to some music, but I opened Memrise. I even turned music off for battery to stay not that low longer. The further I went, the more stupid mistakes I did. And when I got to the next level (to be honest, it didn't take long because there wasn't much to do), my phone got stuck in test question when I was to choose between 4 variants. I close level, open it again and then another similar app mistake. It wasn't at all funny, I closed Memrise and opened Duolingo.
It's actually sad to see there sentence like this: Deine Katze ist deine Familie. Have he/she someone else in his/her family?!
I ran out of hearts in first part of "family" topic in the very last task because I saw "Your" instead of "The" and therefore wrote Dein Bruder isst nicht instead of Der Bruder isst nicht.
It was 1:42 AM, battery got low from 25% to 13% and I left it charging, feeling a bit satisfied. And if I'll ever want to remember about that finny time, I have some screenshots on my phone, including sad sentence about cat and family relationship...

and so on...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 100 of 812
15 September 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
15th of September, part 2
Actually I have some English homework for tomorrow. Verb infinitive needs to be worked out as best as we only can. We were told to find some exercises and practice. So I did search in our brand Russian google and found wonderful site nonstopenglish.com. I'm not sure that I really need to look into these type of exercises, I'm better to work on constructions, but I did three tests. Here's my mistakes:

Some answers were intuitive... Well, I'm actually not sure whether I choose answers because of some rules that lay deep inside my brain or because of intuition. But I think that these results are not very bad, it definitely could be worse...
Don't know if I'll do something else related to any language today.
Oh, by the way, I'm planning to start FSI. Swedish FSI.
Ok, that was a joke, but I actually have a Swedish FSI. I'm planning to try German course, hope to start tomorrow, but if audio is important while being too bad it wouldn't work. Anyway, I'll tell you about results.

Wrote in my Russian F1 blog. I compared F1 teams with characters from Dream Theater's album Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Yeah. I'm mental...
I'm just curious - languages are keeping me relatively sane or driving me mad even more?..

Edited by Via Diva on 15 September 2013 at 4:34pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 101 of 812
15 September 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
I used the Swedish FSI course. I completed it in four months, I was able to speak more or
less after that. Two months of speaking practice and I got there. It's THOROUGH. And
Swedish grammar is really easy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 102 of 812
15 September 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
tarvos, and what about pronunciation? :)
I'll keep that in mind for the future, hope that Swedish grammar would be easy even for me, walking grammar trouble...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 103 of 812
15 September 2013 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Swedes don't conjugate verbs for person or number, only tense :)

The pronunciation is a bit complicated, and the FSI doesn't really have speakers that
reliably approximate what they teach (any dialectal variation notwithstanding). I
personally can pronounce Swedish in a reliably understandable way, but wouldn't pride
myself on a perfect pronunciation. It's doable, but it's harder than German. Although the
spelling is logical unlike English.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 104 of 812
15 September 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
tarvos, sounds promising :)
I'm curious about pronunciation because after reading about it in Russian-Swedish textbook I felt strong desire to delete all materials immediately:

I have problem with stresses even in my native Russian and we all were thrilled about it before school grading examination of Russian: the very first task was to quess where stress is marked right/ wrong.
The only thought that in one word could be more that one stress did hurt my mind even in English (I read about some cases in old USSR textbook for self-studying),
Anyway, I will see what I can do only when I'll try to do it properly, hence I can definitely claim that it wouldn't be soon due to chemical English and more motivating German.

Edited by Via Diva on 15 September 2013 at 7:03pm

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version