Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 105 of 812
16 September 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
16th of September

It's likely that I won't start German FSI today.
New Dream Theater album has been leaked and therefore I have other things to listen now, 'cause it's not enough to listen to the album just once.
But I did some German today. That Memrise mistake still happens on my phone even despite that fact that downloaded materials for offline learning yesterday late evening. Hope that some progress in the very memrise.com will help to pass crashing moment and that they will not appear again.
Played in LingLing Deutsch from English base in hope that all words in this way of application would be translated correctly (there are some complaints about wrong translation in Russian Google Play), but I haven't got very far to check if my hopes are right.
English lesson today was quite normal, we were discussing text rendering that'll appear on exam. Two of us even managed to practice that and I'm glad that I wasn't asked to try doing it for I was completely unprepared (didn't do homework, speaking honestly).
If I won't start FSI tomorrow, you better to kick me. You can see the reasons in meme from my previous posts.

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 106 of 812
17 September 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
I started German FSI.
I'm only trying to fight through "Basic Sentences", but I already have some questions.
I know that it's rather stupid to expect some answers right away, but there's always a hope...

Add whatever you can add and explain whatever you can explain, please! I never was good in direction talks even in Russian (not because of language. hehe), but it doesn't mean that I shouldn't try to understand the difference between da and dort, eh?

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 107 of 812
17 September 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Oh, what can I say about FSI... you need a lot of motivation and time to do 1 unit per day. And I'm not that fluent as it was expected when I reached the Substitution Drill, so I had to drop it.
This course is teaching to respond fast, to get into simple constructions and to be absolutely sure in what you're saying.
Haven't I mentioned earlier that everything that I need is to read and translate? Well, now I think that these goals are slightly changing. When I'll finish my English in university, maybe I'll really concentrate on this course to reach out to the real speaking, but now I'm not sure that this is the thing that I need.
I didn't see any explanation why we need to use sind after plurals, and I'm sure that I wouldn't got it if I didn't all forms of sein before.
So I really need to think if I need to worry about this now. Tomorrow will be physical chemistry practice and I didn't even look into lections. Well, I wouldn't lie: I'd preferred German FSI to physical chemistry, but I need to do my best to stay in university till diploma. German will not help me better than PC, that's for sure...

No Anki or Memrise but LingLing and headache after fast tempo of this game...

I seriously doubt that I'll do something else today because I want to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

P.S. There will be rain of new albums by interesting groups. Next in my list is DAAU (Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung), they uploaded the song with Dutch title. But they're not singing much and maybe I shouldn't think about learning Dutch too right now, hehe :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6687 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 812
17 September 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Oh, what can I say about FSI... you need a lot of motivation and time to do 1 unit per day.

Are you in a hurry? I'm pretty sure that the recommendation is one unit per week (full time!).

Via Diva wrote:
I didn't see any explanation why we need to use sind after plurals, and I'm sure that I wouldn't got it if I didn't all forms of sein before.

Sind is the form for 1st and 3rd person plural. I've seen more confusing verb paradigms than this. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6002 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 109 of 812
17 September 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I would say "Die Bank ist auch dort, nicht wahr"
The "h" is important.
Because "wahr" is "true". "Nicht wahr" is in English "isn't it". Very common is also "oder" instead of "nicht wahr".
"war" is the past tense of "sein". For example: Gestern war ich beim Sport.

I read your explanations between da vs dort.
Here is a complete other explanation http://christianlangenegger.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/138/
I use definitly more dort than da, but maybe it's only a personal thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 110 of 812
18 September 2013 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist, one unit per week? Hmmm...
*Writres: always read the instructions!*
It's not very clear how to do it - write all that you need to write once and then just read and listen to the tape?
And I know forms of sein, I just missed the word know in post... :)

Mareike, that was a writing mistake... I even translated it literally in Russian just because I heard/ read nicht wahr before. I also know about war (one of the few which past tense form I know, hehe).
Explanation of dort/da is not mine, I wrote in down from yahoo.answers. And I like the other explanation much, much more, hehe)

Thanks for the answers :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 111 of 812
18 September 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
18th of September
Downloaded Teach Yourself German. Yeah, I'm maniac, mental, idiot - call me whatever you prefer.
I hope that I'll keep on using FSI, but, honestly, I'm not sure now. When I'm looking at German texts, I realize that I'm losing something about the language. As you probably can guess, my exposure to German fades away. I do not listen that much of German-languaged music, I'm not watching German-languaged films as I did some time before. Whether it's useful or not I do not feel good about it.
Of course, I should read or listen to the language. But it's very hard for me to read due to my very small vocabulary. I can't listen to the music if I do not want to do it (thank you, DAAU and Dream Theater). I can't even stick to some simple things like Anki.
To sum it up: motivation is fading.
And that's awful. I'm sure that if I'll give up, I'll lose even that small amount of knowledge that I already have learned. Of course, it could be restored, no doubts about that, but what was the point in all these hours of studying then?
I'm starting to think that having some kind of teacher could help me. He could be able to understand my abilities even better than I do, compare his expectations to my progress and - the most important point - criticizes me. I'm not masochist, but I prefer to hear the truth in all possible situations. Even if that truth could hurt my feelings badly.
But this is just the dream. It's enough to ask myself: Und wieviel kostet dieser Traum?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 112 of 812
18 September 2013 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Ну продолжай! Не теряй! Все будет хорошо! И в конце концов, немецкий - красивый язык!

Edited by tarvos on 18 September 2013 at 12:26pm

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version