Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 465 of 812
08 July 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks to both of you :) :P

I met a German girl right in the centre of our city today. She was
holding a map with German titles and asking for a direction in quite
primitive Russian. Her destination was right in front of her, and I
wasn't quite sure what to do, so I just pointed at it, said "вон там"
(over there) and walked away. A few moments after I was loudly
complaining to my best friend that I should've said "geradeaus“, but
the moment was goooone... eh.

Summary
English: chatting (yesterday), some songs
German: Das doppelte Lottchen Ger+ Ger (yesterday), Memrise,
songs
Greek: some Michel Thomas
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 466 of 812
08 July 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Watched Die kommenden Tage Ger+Ger. It wasn't entirely awful to my own surprise, I think I know (and I mean really know) about 20-30% of stuff, which is just great, considering me being still below A1 from the point of vocabulary and slightly advanced grammar. Of course I was able to go on due to my knowledge of the plot, otherwise I would have given up in first 30 minutes for sure.
But that would be so much more useful if I could use both German and English subtitles. I tried to do so, but my player refused to perform that kind of action. What a bastard!
Also I seem to be having subs issue which turns umlauts into a disaster. Ugh. But that's even better for my studies - I should be able to distinguish sounds, shouldn't I? But, of course, I ended up reading anyway because the disaster was quite the same every time for each letter.

Right now the only problem about that method that I can see is the lack of material to rewatch. It's terrifying even to think about what I will have to do if I'll ever get into the same situation with Greek or some more obscure language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 467 of 812
08 July 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Thanks to both of you :) :P

I met a German girl right in the centre of our city today. She was
holding a map with German titles and asking for a direction in quite
primitive Russian. Her destination was right in front of her, and I
wasn't quite sure what to do, so I just pointed at it, said "вон там"
(over there) and walked away. A few moments after I was loudly
complaining to my best friend that I should've said "geradeaus“, but
the moment was goooone... eh.

Directions is one area where you can prepare for. And there is a reasonable chance such a thing will happen again. You can boost this chance by looking out for people with German maps, and going up to them and offering to help in German.

Since you do not need an extensive vocabulary or grammar to explain directions, you can prepare a few sample directions beforehand. I also need to do this.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 468 of 812
09 July 2014 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
i don't think there's a big chance that it'll happen again, cause I mostly sit at home anyway, but of course I should know how to explain directions in German. More than that - I even learned directions vocabulary in short Memrise course. Unfortunately, this particular course was badly organized, there were lots of useless things, but I still remember "geradeaus", "links", "rechts"... And I also encountered these ones in some lesson of "Deutsch - Warum nicht?".
The problem is, however, in a simple fact that I'm not actually good at explaining directions even in Russian, let alone English and don't even mention German :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 469 of 812
09 July 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Last two days were full of events and I want to try to write an entry, like a diary one, and since I’m writing here I do not intend to do it in Russian.
I’m that type of person who nearly always sits at home. Maybe it’s not a life full of adventures, maybe this is boring for some people, but I’m okay with that. But even a home-stuck introvert like me needs to be outside sometimes. So, yesterday I met my best friend. We don’t see each other often and we recently closed our sessions, passed all exams without further problems, so this just had to be pointed out in some way. We chose to meet each other and to have fun.
Having fun resulted at some point in walking on hot dry sand under burning sun, sweating included. Yep, it was quite a warm day, even more than warm, to be honest. This is quite a usual July day for our region and its climate, but what does it matter if your skin is pale like death and you hate hot weather in general? I drank over a liter of mineral gaseous water and this might have saved my life yesterday, I think.
Today the two of us met another friend of mine and we walked to a cinema to see “How to train your dragon 2”. Yes, I was going to see it second time, but it was worth it. Then we walked around for a while and after that I went to my second friend’s home to help with her computer. Along the way I told her about things that happened to me this year (and in last few months in particular) – we haven’t seen each other for quite a while – and she told me that I was shining when I was telling her some things. Considering that neither of my stories ends well, I’m not sure where that shining was coming from, but it doesn’t matter anyway, I guess.
Oh, but I haven’t mentioned the most important thing about today. It was raining all day. And I wear the same clothes as yesterday, because at the time when I was leaving it was just as hot as yesterday! Well, yesterday these clothes were a little bit too warm for me, but today they were just horribly wrong. In the beginning it was fine, especially because I could compare it to the events of yesterday, but when we were walking to my friend’s home it was nearly unbearable. I guess I might have caught a cold, but that’s yet to be seen.
We can’t be totally isolated from the world, especially when we are in a big city. Yesterday I haven’t met anyone I know, but we have bumped into a German girl asking for a direction. Right by the Murphy’s Law every single word both in German and English disappeared from my head, and I didn’t do very well with my help. Today we’ve met our first chemistry teacher in the cinema – frankly, I wouldn’t have recognized her on my own, she was our teacher for less than a year. Still, my friends did while I was wondering about how small the world is sometimes.
This is honestly too much for me and tomorrow I’m most likely to stay at home, but if someone will call me, who knows, maybe I’ll be out once again? One thing for sure – I manage to learn German even in these eventful days due to easiness of Memrise mobile app :)

lang-8 for someone who has time

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 470 of 812
09 July 2014 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
English: songs, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 Eng+Eng (thanks to Memrise and mem on warum in particular), writing comprehension (got corrected on italki and I guess I have to believe that I am quite good :D)
German: songs, Memrise
Nothing on any other language.
Actually, Memrise seem to be finally integrating in my life. I just have to keep going on and end up used to it completely.
When I was waiting in the morning, I have seen a great, just great meme:

And in the evening right after finishing PotC I decided to do watering from my laptop. This is significantly harder that from my phone, because the app provides either letters or the whole separate words even when you have to type the word all by yourself. Web-version gives only the special symbols even if they are not required.
For example, if I have to answer what is weather in German, I should just type it from my laptop. If I'm using my phone I get words to combine. One of possible sets is: "der" "steigen" "das" "Muell" "morgen" "Wetter". And this goes for all the "plants" which has more than one word.
That makes watering in app just a whole lot easier, I rarely go below 90% there. And now...
92, 88, 92, 80, 84, 94 %/per session.
By the way, the last one is also the shortest one (14 words instead of 25).
I think this is bad. I expected more from myself. Got to work this out then.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 471 of 812
10 July 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Ich habe heute "Harodim. Nichts als die Wahrheit" gesehen. Es ist der Oesterreichische Film ueber die Vorgange des elftes Sempember 2001. Ein Kaempfer der United States Navy SEALs ist dienstlich tot. Er sucht nach den Terrorist, der hat seinen Vater ermordet. Er hat ihn gefunden, aber es ist nicht genug. Er will die Wahrheit zu wissen, also er ein Moeglichkeit alles zu erklaeren zu dem Terrrorist gegeben hat. Und diese Wahrheit ist zu absonderlich fuer der Kaempfer, er weißt nicht mehr was er tun soll.

Meh... lang-8 for the brave
P.S. No Memrise yet, but even all the unsuccessful watering sessions conducted on my laptop are better than my hopeless attempts to write without proper knowledge of grammar rules! I guess...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 472 of 812
10 July 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
English: 5 episodes of Doctor Who, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" (Eng+Eng), songs, some reading ahead, maybe
German: "Harodim. Nichts als die Wahrheit" (Ger+Rus), Memrise, songs, an attempt of writing just above

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version