Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 101 102 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 73 of 812
04 September 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
беда в том, что, очень часто на разговорном языке, люди говорят <<von der/dem/den>>
вместо <des/der>>. Для Вон надо употреблятьса дательный падеж.

Problem is in Russian you might say something else. I never got when you use "у тебя" and
when "тебе".

@Josquin - hence достаточно редко, not никогда

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2013 at 12:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 74 of 812
04 September 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Josquin, thank you for the fast answer :)

tarvos, то есть, в немецком пытаются уклониться от использования родительного падежа, употребляя von - предлог, который требует дательный падеж?
Speaking about у тебя and тебе... In English here's no difference, "you" in both cases. But у тебя is somewhat describing a still situation: "You have a cat" - У тебя есть кот whereas тебе is more of an action: "I give you a cat" - Я даю тебе кота.
Please tell me if that explanation is useful or not :)

Edited by Via Diva on 04 September 2013 at 1:13pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 75 of 812
04 September 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:

Пожалуйста!

Via Diva wrote:
то есть, в немецком пытаются уклониться от использования родительного падежа, употребляя von - предлог, который требует дательный падеж?

Это правильно, но существуют некоторые предлоги, которые требуют родительный падеж, например wegen или aufgrund. Von употребляется только, если говорится о владении:

Das Haus meines Vaters --> Das Haus von meinem Vater (Дом моего отца)

Edited by Josquin on 04 September 2013 at 1:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 76 of 812
04 September 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:

tarvos, то есть, в немецком пытаются уклониться от использования родительного
падежа, употребляя von - предлог, который требует дательный падеж?
Speaking about у тебя and тебе... In English here's no difference, "you"
in
both cases. But у тебя is somewhat describing a still situation: "You have a
cat"
- У тебя есть кот whereas тебе is more of an action: "I give you a cat" -
Я даю тебе кота.
Please tell me if that explanation is useful or not :)

That I get, but in the context of спрашивать/спросить... какая разница?

@Josquin - yes, but wegen and aufgrund don't really have much to do with possession.
Sometimes prepositions demand a certain case and there really isn't a good explanation
why.

Most cases of the use of the genitive (without a preposition) can be rephrased as using
von most of the time. That leaves the moments where you use wegen, aufgrund, and a few
others that take the genitive, but in my experience those prepositions usually sound
formal and paraphrasing them is also possible. But yes, of course it's still present.
It's just not used a WHOLE LOT.

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2013 at 2:16pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 77 of 812
04 September 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
tarvos, if i got the question right...
Я спрашиваю тебя / Я спрашиваю у тебя - I do not see much of a difference...
But you can't mix up у тебя и тебе when asking. There are informal cases like Тебе чай [сделать] с сахаром или без? - Would you like tea with or without sugar? but there is no way to change it to у тебя unless you want to ask about something that already happened У тебя чай с сахаром или без? - Is your tea with sugar or not? or, more naturally, Did I make tea for you with or without sugar?

Edited by Via Diva on 04 September 2013 at 2:28pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 78 of 812
04 September 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
@Josquin - yes, but wegen and aufgrund don't really have much to do with possession.
Sometimes prepositions demand a certain case and there really isn't a good explanation
why.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I said "von" is only used when talking about possession, not the genitive itself. Some prepositions in German (and they're getting more) require the genitive. In this case, you can't substitute the genitive with a "von" construction. This is only possible when talking about possession. Of course, the prepositions requiring the genitive don't have anything to do with possession. Anyway, Germans often don't agree on which case to use after which preposition and you may find a genitive where a dative is required and vice versa.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 79 of 812
04 September 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
No, I understand that perfectly. Of course the genitive is used after these
prepositions, hence why the genitive exists in spoken and written German. It's just
sufficiently rare to warrant less attention than the Dativ/Akkusativ. I personally am
terrible with the Genitiv because I always used paraphrases to get around the genitive.
The point is that there is usually a way to avoid the genitive, although sometimes you
can't. And the
common phrasing for possession (which is also the most common instance where you could
use a genitive) is avoided with von.

This is parallelled in Dutch, by the way, where the old way to form a possessive was by
using a genitive (and it is used in fixed expressions or to avoid repeating "van" all
the time). The difference is we no longer uses cases, so prepositions don't demand a
genitive.

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2013 at 4:08pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 80 of 812
04 September 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Well, you can avoid the genitive in spoken language (although you won't sound very educated), but there's no chance to get around it in written German.

Edited by Josquin on 04 September 2013 at 4:32pm

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version