Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 101 102 Next >>

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 153 of 812
10 October 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Author gives us Russian transcription for German words, but when I saw bitten and bieten without them, I realized that on no conditions I can pronounce these two verbs differently.

Double consonants usually imply a short vowel sound, while the -ie- vowel implies a long one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 154 of 812
10 October 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist, that was mentioned in the lesson. Well, the thing is not even connected to transcriptions, I think. It's just long and short vowels - well, I never was good at that. Double consonants - you're welcome. Double/ long vowel - no, thanks.

Actually, that's why I dropped thoughts about Finnish. When I was die-hard hockey fan, I was very interested in Finland and, therefore, all connected to it, including the language. I even downloaded some course (I definitely don't have it on my netbook, because I did not have the netbook in that time), but then I realized that the very idea is determined to fail. Plus, my desire to learn Finnish just faded away even without scary perspective of pronunciation.
Reading was normal, nothing unusual. I wasn't asked to actually read the text, and it was really sad, because yesterday I spent more time while reading, not translating. I would love to record it, but I need to do my homework first and find free replacement for SoundCloud...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 155 of 812
10 October 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
The transcription of German names into Russian rarely actually approaches the actual
pronunciation. I do not find their phonology very hard, but that is more because many of
their sounds are equivalent to something in my own. It just takes practice. Pronunciation
is something you really need to sit down with and practice to get right. I find this a
much harder thing to get good at than learning grammar or vocabulary.

Edited by tarvos on 10 October 2013 at 3:24pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 156 of 812
10 October 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
tarvos, it seems that I have the opposite opinion. I can try to work with pronunciation, but there is no one to control me, at least in German. Grammar/ vocabulary problems usually just work out, and for quite a time there are services like lang-8. Pronunciation... well, who cares about that? I saw statistics on SoundCloud - pretty much no one. This is kinda upsetting thing... but what makes the whole situation even worse - is that I can't understand most of instructions about improving pronunciation. To be precise: I can understand them, but I can't use them. It's personal problem, though, but that's why I need to be more careful when speaking.
And there's no one to control me. I will never get support equal to that I have on any English lesson, unless I will go to the German courses, because I'm too closed and shy to really use Skype, my pronunciation in general is a nightmare and, finally, I'm somewhat older to be easily taught.
I mean that, really. I saw that English th is headache when I didn't begin to study English in university, I just was reading mother's selfstudy coursebook. And I still can pronounce th closely to right only if I'm thinking "O, th! Say it right, stupid girl!"
Speaking of audio... Can't find alternative, everything either too specific, or forbids to publish someone else's works. And I do not write much in German to read. Well, I'll search a little bit more, but it seems that I will not find it. Damn.

Downloaded some group with Swedish songs, nearly blind method of choosing. Don't know where it'll lead me, because now I'm stuck to Letzte Instanz and one song by Saltatio Mortis :)

P.S. Started reading "The Compound" by S.A. Bodeen in English, thanks to one group on vk.com! Quite interesting so far, though I had to drop that for mind explosion because of applied mechanics. Never to miss these lections again!

Edited by Via Diva on 10 October 2013 at 4:37pm

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5392 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 157 of 812
10 October 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
On a whim I've read your entire log through, and found it very entertaining. It's also pretty cool to watch your
English improve; here I wish to offer nothing but encouragement.

Deutsch wird schon klappen. Viel Erfolg!

You had some unanswered questions throughout, did you still want an answer for those?

For ie and ei in German, pronounce as the name of the second letter in English, if that helps.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 158 of 812
10 October 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Belardur, thanks for good words about all that stuff :)

Danke, ich brauche wirklich es...

Yes, I do want answers all the time. If it's not difficult for you to answer.

I have no problems with ie and ei now. Meine Sprache ist nicht so schlecht :) It's just that I know the difference, bit it's hard for me to make it sound in case of bieten and bitten.

Edited by Via Diva on 10 October 2013 at 11:44pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 159 of 812
11 October 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
не стесняйся) говори с нами) все отлично будет! Я верю в тебя!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 160 of 812
11 October 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Crazy day. I would spent it with less of English if I'd don't have "The Compound". Still very interesting, I read 55.2% already and, to be honestly, this is not my limit, this is just that damn university. Relatively easy to read, sometimes I miss things, but that's because of my style of reading - always in a hurry at least for the first time.
German in this conditions perfectly adds up in the form of songs, mostly by Letzte Instanz. They are really something. I'm an atheist, but I like their song Singt Halleluja, my imagination works just as if they were singing about some fiction person. Well, to be atheist is actually to agree that "god" is a fiction, but here's no offense to my principles. God in this song reminds me of some book character, not the idol, in whose name people are still willing to threat and kill each other.
No offense to believers, though, not in the song, or from me.
Hope I'll be able to use some time for 2nd lesson of 30, but "The Compound" probably just wouldn't wait. And right now I'm arguing with my mobile operator, who's intended to take from me twice of my daily license fee... I guess, now I'll be told that I didn't read the conditions attentively (though I did), etc... Or that wouldn't be answered at all.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version