Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 39 ... 101 102 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 305 of 812
13 December 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
YouTube video:
pics+audio
. Since my pronunciation is awful, I give you text too:
Quote:
Hello everyone!
My name is Daria, but most of you know me as Via Diva - well, that's my nickname. It
has been chosen long ago and it doesn't mean a thing, so, please, don't think that I'm
fretful girl or something worse. I'm not an angel, but that doesn't mean that I should
be the opposite, eh?
I want to present myself in order to fulfill my own task for Team STARt. Yeah, everyone
is equal and why should I be an exception? Plus, I see that people are either busy or
shy to start posting their presentations. I could give up, but I'm a team leader and I
hope that my example will kick others to get down to the business.
My log originally was entitled "How NOT to learn languages" and I think that there is a
great deal of truth in this words. My experience is just another example of unsure
learner, which has no plan and no goal in language learning. The situation hasn't
changed since April (that is the month of my registration here on HTLAL), but now it
seems that I can find the way out of darkness and improve my ways of learning.
My target languages are English, German, Swedish and, as I plan, Italian. I'm not sure
about last two, but English and German are fixed on their places very tight and there
is simply no way to run away from these two. My relationship with English worth another
whole story and I do not intend to tell it now. German came up somewhere in the
beginning of this year or even in the end of past: the language gradually was torturing
me with its beauty and complexity. I moved from German movies to German music - to
Austrian band Angizia, to be precise - and end up here. There was a pause in all my
studies and, therefore, my presence here. It's completely normal for me because that's
who I am: I can be mad about something for a month and then forget about the very
existence of that something for another month.
But in 2014 situation should be different for now I have a responsibility to Team
STARt. Maybe I'll tell you how that one appeared from literally nothing, but not now,
hehe. Now I want to stop this quasi presentation and say some words in my TL.
Oh, dear German speakers, sorry for any type of mistakes which you'll hear (see):
Hallo und guten Tag! Mein Name ist Daria. Ich bin neunzehn Jahre alt, aber ich hoffe,
dass es nicht richtig ist :) Ich wohne in Russland, in der großer Stadt in kaltem
Sibirien. Es gibt hier viel weißen Schnee und durchsichtiges Eis, die die Straßen
bedeckt. Es ist wirklich kalt hier, aber wir haben uns gewöhnt.
Ich mag die deutsche Sprache und ich will es lernen. Ich weiß doch, dass es nicht
leicht ist, aber es kann nicht mich aufhören. Oder, vielleicht, ich hoffe, dass es
nicht mich aufhören kann...

Your pronunciation is understandable, but the bigger problem is the overall sentence
melody that sounds really off (you sound like a weird hybrid of a Russian and a German
speaking). Furthermore, you have the typical Russian problem in English of "where do
the articles go".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sepp
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 3837 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese

Message 306 of 812
13 December 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Via Diva wrote:
YouTube video:
pics+audio
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Your pronunciation is understandable, but the bigger problem is the overall sentence
melody that sounds really off (you sound like a weird hybrid of a Russian and a German
speaking). Furthermore, you have the typical Russian problem in English of "where do
the articles go".

I think this is a totally uncalled for bitty criticism. Via Diva does not sound "really off", like a "weird" hybrid of a Russian and a German, she sounds like a rather nice person. Her English pronunciation/entonation are way better than that of most other non-natives I know, and her sometimes making mistakes as far as articles are concerned is no worse than people getting gender wrong in often used French or German nouns, or don't care/know which aspect of verbs to use in Russian. You hate being corrected, so why criticise others. Via Diva made a good effort to motivate others and in my eyes that is admirable. Whereas your ungenerous criticism is anything but.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4019 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 307 of 812
14 December 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
First of all, I do admit that I sounded weird. Usually I speak faster and, therefore, less understandable, but I had to say all things clear, so it affected my pronunciation and my voice.
Articles for those who do not have ones in native language is walking evil, hehe.
Thanks for feedback, I really needed it :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4019 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 308 of 812
14 December 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Ok, languages. Yesterday I was finally gotten by Gewissen (guess, who's singing it, hehe) and made some writing exercises. One was awful and I dropped it. Finally I made this (click for original)

And today I decided to give another try to Deutsche Grammatik mit menschlichem Antlitz (I tried to type it by myself and my sole mistake was forgotten l in the Antlitz). Can't say anything now, but we'll see.
Also I watched Helden wie wir. That awkward moment when you rate it 9/10, but average rate is 6/10 and lower...
Since my Saturdays are always free, I plan to be doing nothing for the evening as well. Now I want to see and hear Live at Luna Park by my dear Dream Theater (finally), but I may get bored and I have some German movies to deal with it, hehe)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 309 of 812
14 December 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Sepp wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Via Diva wrote:
v=NfTOd39lidg">YouTube video:
pics+audio
Quote:
Hello everyone!

the articles go".

I think this is a totally uncalled for bitty criticism. Via Diva does not sound "really
off", like a "weird" hybrid of a Russian and a German, she sounds like a rather nice
person. Her English pronunciation/entonation are way better than that of most other
non-natives I know, and her sometimes making mistakes as far as articles are concerned
is no worse than people getting gender wrong in often used French or German nouns, or
don't care/know which aspect of verbs to use in Russian. You hate being corrected, so
why criticise others. Via Diva made a good effort to motivate others and in my eyes
that is admirable. Whereas your ungenerous criticism is anything but.

Tu quoque, Brute?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4019 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 310 of 812
16 December 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
After exhausting attempt to deal with physical chemistry I had to take some rest, but it wasn't about languages. Sad but true.
I was absorbing only English anyway. I watched Live at Luna Park and the documentary after (Eng+Eng subs). Speaking of documentary: I wanted to turn on German subs and I did, but something went wrong and there were English ones.
Yesterday's morning was kinda lazy, but I finished with watching M*A*S*H. Funny series, especially when you're able to choose sound without artificial laughter, but I'm afraid I can't carry on watching it for various reasons.
My re-reading of Deutsche Grammatik mit menschlichem Antlitz brings me absolutely no hope and no help. I feel overwhelmed and confused when I'm getting through the most of material. I don't think that anything from this book sinks into me without problems.
So I see that the best possible way for me is to study gradually and slowly. Unfortunately, the only way of studying gradually and slowly that I know is my school English. I can easily get school German textbook for free. The question is: should I waste my time for playing in school learning considering that I have no teacher on my side?
Don't bother, I know the answer already.
Another week of suffering (why I didn't learn a thing before and how in the hell I can learn it now) is ahead, starting with English lesson. We'll be talking about handful of phrasal verbs which I didn't bothered to learn. Seems that I have to do it when I'll be at the university, hehe...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4019 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 311 of 812
16 December 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 

So true...

Edited by Via Diva on 16 December 2013 at 5:29pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 312 of 812
16 December 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Поздравляю!

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version