Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 56 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 441 of 812
25 June 2014 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Aaaand the exam is passed. I had to use some tricks to get my 4 of 5, but now I can send scientific English to hell. Well, just for a while... but physical chemistry in English is definitely going to hell and for a hopefully longer while!
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 442 of 812
25 June 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I like to do crazy things sometimes. Ok, maybe not that crazy, as one might think, but still not the usual ones.
I also like to do the exact opposite of something I write here, apparently. One simple physical chemistry theory couldn't get out of my head. So couldn't do "human's comfort zones". So couldn't do English, in which I believe to have progressed over the past few months.
And here is the result. [Un]Fortunately, my phone couldn't film that any longer due to the lack of its storage space. I actually wasn't improvising, cause this idea came up a little bit earlier and I managed to lead it to the end in no less that 15 minutes for sure.
Anyway, here we go: click to see the video.
I don't need a shrink's number. But I could use tips on my spoken English :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 443 of 812
28 June 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
So, it's the end of June. half of this year is gone and I have to admit that I'm no closer to any of my goals. To be honest, I don't even remember them clearly. I read my log and discovered that I put out my goals somewhere else. Rookie mistake, yup, but there's nothing more to say.
Of course I can't clearly state that I really did nothing to get closer to my targets, but I know I wasn't doing much.
I am also a lousy team leader, going off the path dreaming to learn Swedish and Greek as well. Haha.
I don't expect anything to change in close future. I much better off concentrating on scientific English, trying to enroll myself into getting parallel English education (if it's not expensive) and doing some self-study. But, hey, this is a summer after all, I might do some more Greek (I still like the alphabet too much), dabble in Swedish, and try to make my German as close to A1 as it only is possible.
I had plans on Dutch, but since I'm a lousy language earner with motivation problems I have to drop it. Three clearly Germanic languages at once are good if you know at least one of them on some decent level, but I'm still a beginner everywhere. Yes, even in German.

Now to my current plans. I have to deal with my last exam and then, regardless of its results I need to do something about my listening comprehension. I watch a lot of House M.D., but I do not dare to do it without subtitles. Not that I care about medical terms - I don't understand them anyway - but the language itself does not fly into my ears easily. Which is actually funny if to remember one of my goals - to watch some German movie - Das Leben der Anderen, huh? - and understand most of it without subtitles. This is something I can't do even in English, let alone my poor German!
Anyway, the best way for me, I think, is to listen to audiobooks. I guess I will come back to Harry Potter (exactly as I did last summer), first in English and then in German, if it will be making any sense to me.
Also it would be great to actually read. I wanted to add "in English", but, honestly, I haven't been reading at all for quite a while, maybe even some Russian classics would be good for me.
Also to come back to Memrise. I just have to keep doing it for a long period of time and get used to it. I fail to get used every single time, dropping days and weeks off, but eventually I just will be able to open it every day.

And I want to end this looong post with some English handwriting, dedicated to all my failures (including language learning ones, hehe)

Oh, well, this is awful. Compare it to the older version of November:

I guess this is a thing to improve as well, ugh.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 444 of 812
29 June 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I guess this is kinda boring to just post about what have I done during the day, but I have to try it because I need to find out if this helps my language learning being somewhat consistent, regular, that sort of thing.
So...

English: lots of House M.D. (I think half of the whole sixth season) as Eng+Eng, a little bit of music, maybe some reading if I will have troubles sleeping (optional)
German: 1-50 daily counting (hehe), few minutes with Memrise (mostly watering the old stuff), maybe some more if I will have troubles sleeping (optional)
Any other languages: nothing except some exposure to Spanish via HMD.

By the way, HMD also bumped me into "I am yet/ I have yet" dilemma twice. And judging by Lisa Edelstein's (also known as Cuddy) speech, there is simply no dilemma at all, I have yet is the one. But I think that I am yet to bother about things that are so advanced :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 445 of 812
29 June 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Well, in American English it's indeed pretty clear, but I won't be surprised if you said it like that because you came across it in British stuff. I know I have.

(when speaking about yourself and your decisions, I'd also say there's no alternative to "I have yet to". In this case you're using it purely in the meaning of "have to", ie "I think I shouldn't bother". "I'm yet to" focuses on the external circumstances more :)))

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 446 of 812
30 June 2014 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
I think this was more about external circumstances, because if I will
stay in Russia and won't be using English actively enough (current
situation) I won't have to deal with such stuff, but if I'll go abroad I
just won't have a choice, I guess.
but right now I am not satisfied.
As for Memrise...
Ich diene dich mit ein schwarzen Brot und verdiene ein Hut voll des
Geldes.

There's gotta be something wrong, but I wrote this using new
vocabulary. And I have already done quite a bit while waiting and I
think I'll do even more.
And I've already watched ep1s7 of HMD. It's 10:27 here, but I'm
already not that lazy, huh?
Expect an evening summary.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 447 of 812
30 June 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Ich bediene dich mit einem schwarzen Brot und verdiene einen Hut voll Geld.

Now, the sentence is grammatically correct, but I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to mean. Word by word, the meaning is: "I serve you with a black bread and earn a hat full of money."

Well, this doesn't really make sense in German, so I'd change it into something like:

Ich bediene dich mit einem Schwarzbrot und verdiene einen Haufen Geld.

Is that what you meant to say?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 448 of 812
30 June 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Josquin, yeah, I wanted to say that I give (=serve) someone some black bread and receive lots of money (enough to fill a hat). Sounds stupid, but this was the way to connect the words.
Emphasis on dienen and verdienen, because Memrise course here points out how prefixes are changing verbs' meanings.
If the meaning stays the same after correction, that's great, but why do I have to use bediene and what's wrong with ein Hut voll Geld, is it not idiomatic or colloquial?
And thanks for the help!

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version