Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 ... 101 102 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 449 of 812
30 June 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome!

"Dienen" is an intransitive verb, so it can't take an accusative object. In order to make it transitive, you need the prefix "be-".

Also, the meaning is slightly different. "Jemandem dienen" is "to serve" in a very general way: to serve a master, to serve in the military. "Jemanden bedienen", however, is the concrete act of serving a person at table, i.e. serving them food etc.

I've never heard "ein Hut voll Geld". Of course, you could say that, but it's not an idiomatic expression. Normally, we would say "ein Haufen Geld" or "eine Menge Geld".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 450 of 812
30 June 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
English: three episodes of HMD, singing aloud (significant enough), maybe an attempt of reading ahead
German: lots of Memrise (and lots of new words in there), listening to songs, maybe of both these actions ahead

I hate speaking wrong, but right now I just want to use some German. Meh...

Ich stehe hier mit meinen Problemen und bleibe ruhig. Ich schalte das Licht aus und gehe ins Bett, aber ich bin nicht müde. Die Leute wählen zwischen Demokratie und Dictatur, aber sie wissen nicht, dass es kein Spiel ist. Obwohl wir denken über viele, wir machen nichts. Ein Sinn und ein Blödsinn gestalten sich ein. Die Gesetze fliegen in der Mülleimer und hier ist keine Wand, die es zu aufhören oder verbergen kann. Mein groß Alptraum wache mich aus und ich kann es nicht verstehen. Ich habe keine Träume. Ich leiste nichts.
Wo wohnst du? Wohin komme ich? Warum zähle ich die Tage? Ich mag das Kissen, das mich immer stütze ab. Ich hasse die Sinne, die mich nicht schlafen erlauben.

lang-8 for the brave ones

I wanted to underline new words, but, believe me, it's more than half of this blöd (blöder Text?) text anyway, hence no point in that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 451 of 812
01 July 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
English: seven episodes of HMD, songs, chatting
German: some Memrise (way less than yesterday), songs including lots of singing aloud, a sad look at my stupid mistakes at lang-8 and accidentally seen table with weak adjectives' declension (can't really remember it now)

Lazy day with purely lazy outcome. I don't want to sleep, so I guess I can watch even more of House and Co.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 452 of 812
02 July 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Handwriting Checkup

I am confident enough to write in three languages. I also have three songs on my mind... in these three languages. Convenient, huh?
click on pics for original resolution
Russian: Гражданская Оборона - Город детства
(for those who doesn't know Russian or the band: it's a song based on Robert Rozhdestvensky's poem arranged by Grazhdanskaya Oborona, and it's presumably about Omsk, which happens to be my hometown)

English: Savatage - Tonight He Grins Again

German: Letzte Instanz - Das schönste Lied der Welt

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 453 of 812
02 July 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I opened Memrise purely to fulfill my daily plan of "do something there, lazy ass". While I was going on there I thought that it would be useful to have something like this on grammar. Interactive apps are the best if you want to take a break from your actual business (i.e. answering electrotechnics' exam questions).
I know that nearly all of you will think about Duolingo, but this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Duolingo is nice, but it explains grammar not much better than Rosetta Stone, apart from knowing what exactly you are practicing, everything else is misty. Plus it requires a lot of translations and vocabulary usage is weird there. I prefer to practice these things separately, I don't want to deal with adjectives if I know like 15 of them, which is certainly not enough.

Funny fact: I encountered the verb duschen (to shower), which is particularly easy for me to deal with due to Russian noun "душ". Unfortunately, this connection is kinda lousy, because if you try to make verb-verb connection, you will most likely get "душить", which means to strangle. And even if you try to make it reflexive you won't get what you need ("душиться" is to perfume yourself). More than that, you won't manage to get away with a single verb, because in Russian "to shower" cannot be translated with one verb.
Though it's all bad for those who tries to learn Russian through German, I'm okay with "duschen-душ" :)

Summary:
English: HMD (wasn't counting episodes), songs
German: a little bit of Memrise, songs

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 454 of 812
02 July 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
There are other language in which "to shower" isn't translated by a verb but a
construction with another verb and a noun. But there's still only a single verb (!)
involved. In some languages like in Dutch they exist side by side. Cf. French:

"prendre une douche" (lit. "to take a shower")

Dutch has both:

"douchen" = "to shower"
"een douche nemen" = "to take a shower"

To take a shower is an equally acceptable and common variant of "to shower", so you
can't necessarily translate it with a verb, but "to take a shower" is a perfectly
acceptable substitute.

Russian usually uses the second variant, right? "принимать душ"

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 455 of 812
02 July 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Yup, принимать душ, идти в душ, that sort of thing. Same goes about taking a bath as well.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 456 of 812
03 July 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
English: HMD (6? 7 episodes? wasn't counting, really), songs
German: a significant amount of Memrise, songs

Actually, today was quite a weird day and Memrise was like a last straw keeping me relatively same. Endless bus rides when even music is just not enough, distraction while waiting and sometimes even walking on streets paying more attention to the app on the phone than to surroundings. That's just me, I will probably be into Memrise for some amount of time and then I will be extremely bored.
But right now I want to add some Greek courses there. Not sure if I will be able to use them straightaway (the last exam is on Saturday, ouch), but I should've added them long ago.
And let's hope I won't get bored too soon.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version