Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 70 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 553 of 812
01 September 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Handwriting time. Corrected post above (click for the original size):

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 554 of 812
02 September 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
The ultimate laziness, awkwardness and stuff

I don't do languages currently. Just don't. But this means that I have other stuff constantly coming up and why not to try to describe it in my eternal L2?

Our university is weird.
1st of September turned out to be completely empty and not worth the time spent on getting there. Today we had 2 lessons less that we should have. I mean it:

Fortunately we finally got our first lesson at 15:30 (okay, a little later) and it was sort of funny.
There were more than 60 people in an auditorium too small. Tables for two were taken by 3 persons quite often, every seat was taken with one little exception. I sat alone in the front row in the middle. It doesn't mean I don't ever talk to anyone, but, well, that does mean something else. But I am not the person who would get really upset because of that and the lesson went just fine for me except for the constant feeling of dumbness and shyness. Sometimes I knew the answer to the question, but wasn't sure, and sometimes I hadn't a slightest idea of what's going on.
This was an ecology lecture, but my beating out knowledge of English worked even there. When we were asked "What's an out-ecology?" I mumbled "out-ecology" in Russian and after a long explanation of some other ecologies lectures admitted that I caught the right thought but had to expand it. Speaking honestly, his explanation wasn't very clear and I'm afraid I have no idea what I was close to, haha.
Even though we haven't had lessons before that one we were there and the most arguable topic was which additional course to choose. Russians are always attracted to халява, therefore we all will go to the psychology course, I think, although "Gender conflicts in the modern world" sounds tempting... but I don't want to go alone, hehe.
We also have some courses about English (Advanced English, the course about business correspondence and the course about movies), but they all are in 2nd semester. And yup, I have to choose one of them here. That's cruel.
However, we do have a language-involved course which comes sooner. Our university has some connections with Japan, so we have a few lecturers coming to give 10 lectures about Japanese culture in Japanese with translations. I won't pretend it doesn't sound interesting, but I am not that into Japan and there were no guarantee that this won't interfere with my schedule.
I have said I don't do languages currently. I would read Angst further, but Dawkins is way more interesting for me now (though in Russian). I also spend so much time on 9GAG that I could actually count it as English studies.
Gosh, I have to get back to German, not after I have done so much. But tomorrow I'm to be out of my apartment at 6:10 AM and it's 9:58 PM. Even if I do something, that won't be much.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 555 of 812
03 September 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Heute habe ich früh nach Hause gekommen, deshalb war es mir sehr langweilig. Ich wusste doch, dass ich mit meinen Deutsch etwas tun muss. Morgen habe ich etwas Michel Thomas gehört, aber es war zu wenig. Aber ich bin auch faul und schon müde von meiner Universität.
Ich habe das Buch von Dawkins noch nicht zu lesen beendet, also kann ich kein anderes Buch nehmen. Na ja, ich werde "Angst" bald beenden, glaube ich, weil morgen habe ich 4 freie Stunden, die ich nur in meiner Universität bleiben kann. Ich kann doch nach Hause gehen, aber ich muss denn gleich zurück fahren, und das ist doch Wahnsinn. Aber ich kann es auch heute mehr lesen.
Ich habe Langenscheidt Grammatik A2 geanfangen, aber die Faulheit hat mir genommen. Ich habe nichts überpruft und ich will es nicht machen.
Ich wollte vielleicht mehr sagen, aber meine Faulheit ist immer bei mir, ich mache zu viel Fehler und ich bin wieder müde.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 556 of 812
04 September 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention that I have tried to watch Sherlock in German yesterday. This is hard even in English and even with subtitles, so I guess it wasn't very useful, but, okay, everything I watch like that is equally useful. I also watched two episodes of Dr Who (season one) - one in the evening and other in the morning before university.
As for university... well, how do you call the situation when you have to sit 4 hours trying not to die from boredom? After some struggle leaving 9GAG and free university Wi-Fi I have managed to finish Angst, and even though I barely could grasp the meaning of some sentences (sometimes I couldn't do that at all) the ending felt just as epic as I feel it when reading the Russian translation. Though Russian is quite a rich language and the final scenes described great, nothing, just nothing beats the original:
Quote:
Да, больше не придет... клянусь тебе... Я не ожидал, что ты так испугаешься... Я хотел только вернуть тебя... напомнить о твоем долге... чтобы ты ушла от него навсегда...

Quote:
Non… plus jamais… je te le jure… je ne pouvais vraiment pas deviner que tu serais effrayée à ce point… je ne voulais que te lancer un appel… te rappeler à ton devoir… pour que tu le quittes… pour toujours…

Quote:
Never again ... never. I swear it. How could I have known you'd take it so badly? I only wanted to ... to bring you back to you duties here ... get you to leave him ... for ever, and <cut>

Quote:
Nein … nie mehr … ich schwöre es dir … ich habe es ja nicht ahnen können, daß du so sehr erschrecken würdest … nur rufen wollte ich dich … zurückrufen zu deiner Pflicht … nur daß du von ihm weggehst … für immer …

English translation even manages to run ahead the original, replacing ... with comma sometimes, so nice.
It was so sad that such a good thing has come to an end, so in order to distract myself I start looking up materials I've copied to my phone. Lextra was too heavy and screen is way too small, some books turned out to be really not for me (it was tempting however that I could "easily" learn 3500 elementary German words from Russian). Eventually I just gave up. I have no idea how exactly did I killed 4 hours by doing so little, but somehow I did.
I got home exhausted from loads of textbooks I received (though two fellow students helped me carrying them from uni to the bus stop ^^), and now I have no power for grammar, but I think I can watch something in German. Or, maybe, I'll just start Hannibal...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 557 of 812
05 September 2014 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I have found out (or, to be honest, just finally accepted) that I should take TOEFL if I really intend to go study in Europe. I was advised, however, to do it right before I am actually going to enroll somewhere, and that hopefully won't happen earlier the summer of 2016. I don't like the perspective of paying 255$ and having only two years to use the result, but it's not like I have a choice (I was told that only TOEFL is accepted in all the universities). Therefore I have to be ready to such a thing.
However, 2016 seems to be so far away and I am concerned with German right now. So I entered Memrise:

Depressing and inspiring at once, isn't it?
After 72 minutes excluding pauses and stuff:

Then I had to go to my uni (for PE only, dammit), and I could use a lot of time spent just getting there or back home, but I had one big problem. This problem comes from Australia and called Toehider.
But this exact problem is going to help me to deal with more Memrise. At the moment I have 782 words to water and I have to do something with German too.
Watch my Twitter to find out if I managed to water every single word...

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 558 of 812
06 September 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
You need TOEFL even if you intend to study in Germany?

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 559 of 812
06 September 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Germany has a lot of masters programs in English and from what I was told, they all accept TOEFL whereas the rest is unclear. If I'll get my German to decent level by 2016 and if I consider to look at German programs too I'll take DaF, but that's not that clear too, I think.
TOEFL actually applies to the whole EU, I may end up in Sweden for the same reason.

Sad thing is that I surely won't get to UK, I know my level (as a student) and my financial abilities...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 560 of 812
07 September 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I have watched a bunch of German movies recently and they all have one in common: DAMN UNCLEAR ENDING!
(Zum Geburtstag, Die innere Sicherheit, Operation: Zucker, if someone's interested). I have noticed that in other German films too, even Die kommenden Tagen isn't quite clear in the very final scene, but I never thought this is so massive. I actually can forgive that to Zum Geburtstag and Die kommenden Tagen, but the other two look like someone forgot to actually make an end to the show. Not that it would stop me from watching movies, but damn... I must be very lucky to watch these three in a row.
As to the other things: 2 hours with Michel Thomas today and German for Reading yesterday right before sleep. Second doesn't look quite comfortable to me, it's going to open all my English vocabulary and grammar problems too, I think, but a) maybe I can cope b) maybe it isn't that bad as it seems. After all, I wanted to read in German, right? Well, here I go!
Although uni and my laziness can stop me anytime.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version