Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 75 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 593 of 812
24 October 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Nah, I don't think it's too serious a doubt, I know exactly why I've
chosen Italian over Greek and Swedish - I want to start from total
zero and also see if I like studying the language. And, of course, it
matters that there's more materials in Italian (damn, I just can't
forget the situation when I looked up Greek books and found only
Bible).
It's funny to look up words and laugh about that, but at the end of the
day I have to remember them, know the pronunciation and some
grammar in order to place them somewhere. I just don't have time to
grasp basics of Greek, considering that I've struggled with the
alphabet long enough already.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 594 of 812
25 October 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Sharp Objects went slow at first but once I got really interested I began swallowing it fast ending the book up aa few minutes ago. I guess I have no choice but to read Dark Places too, but, frankly, this is so not alright. I had to deal with my colloquium instead of reading so much. Eh...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 595 of 812
01 November 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I finished Dark Places Friday morning and now I am not sure what to read next.
But, well, it's November, 4 days off and the beginning of my Italian experiment. Well... most of the day spent procrastinating, it was a hard and stressful week after all. Actual studies so far concluded in mastering the very first step in Duolingo. Hahahahahaha.

Well, I also watched (rewatched!) Il bisbetico domato, which I have seen lots of times in Russian but never ever in Italian with English subtitles. At first I even tried Italian subs, but it was hellishly hard, plus the timing was wrong even on English ones, let alone Italian. Subs were incomplete, so obviously incomplete that it could make me sad. But, well, I adore Il bisbetico domato, even seeing its simplicity and these obvious jokes I laughed as I never did before. I guess I just wasn't watching it this closely ever before.
I have more movies in my plans, but things keep interfering.
First of all it's uni (I spent hours with yet another colloquium - and, frankly, I have much more to do). Second... I want to finally watch Lie to me. Third... I am watching 5th season of Horrible Histories. Sixth...
Oh, sixth...

Okay, I had installed TED on my smartphone months ago, but I only managed to use it today. I have never seen any of TED talks earlier (not intentionally for sure), nor did I have certain expectations about that. The very process of setting up the app astonished me. What, there are subs in I don't even want to count how much languages? Of course I selected Enlgish and even when I started bumping into bad synced subs I wasn't upset - this is just yet another proof of that I have to deal with my own vicious circle.

I do hope, anyway, that I will find some time for Italian. Gosh, I even downloaded three volumes of Earworms, I have Michel Thomas, I can use 7 lessons like I already did with German, not to mention Duolingo and Memrise... Plus I have found Harry Potter books (sadly, no audiobooks). I am fully equipped, what's there to add?
So let's find out how far can I get.

Edited by Via Diva on 01 November 2014 at 5:36pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 596 of 812
04 November 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I am doubling the post from the thread Emotional associations with languages, because I can't come up with a better explanation of how I feel about this 6WC. Also because I don't want to lose this post, I feel that sometime I will have to come back to it.
In the school my view about English was changing dramatically, depending on conditions. At the beginning it was interesting, but not catching, with a good teacher it was fascinating, and with a bad teacher it was boring as hell. Fortunately, we were finishing the school with a good teacher, plus I started to listen to music, which could only help.
Now English is a thing that is really, really close, but I can't just grasp it. I think in the language a lot, but I still can't follow stuff without subs. I write a lot, but still have a lot of annoying mistakes. Frankly, I feel like Prometheus whereas English is that eagle. And I also feel that I am damned to be tortured forever, hehe.

Now about German. I was prejudiced because of historical aspect, because I thought it would be hard for me, because I was scared of all the dialects, I didn't like the language itself. Now I can only laugh at that. And then cry. Because German is that passion, that imminent desire, which I can't neither fight, nor satisfy. It's a shadow hanging over me and most of the time I have no choice but to walk under it with my mind either distracted or reminding me about how I like the language. Well, yeah, life gets me distracted, mostly, but often enough when I am about to read in English or to watch something in English I feel some sort of remorse like: "Du solltest etwas mit Deutsch machen". Und ich mache nichts, gar nichts.

Italian is an experiment I am running partially because I can't get down to studying English or German. I don't have time to get bored because of the language, I also don't have time to study it properly - alas! - but I intend to keep going on anyway. I find the whole thing fascinating, even my annoyance doesn't play a big role here (genders? okay, okay, there's always a dictionary). I am intrigued about the possible results for I have no clue what really can come out of that.

Swedish and Greek are the shadows of what I feel with German, basically. They bother me not that often, and I can't even think (=say) a single sentence in them, but I am sure that once I get more of free time they will start howling at me. I sincerely hope that it won't be easy to resist them, the beginning of studies should be fascinating just as it is with Italian now. I have no clue why it wasn't before, though.

And, finally, Russian. It is pain. I see the language degrading every day and I take it too close. Sometimes I even fail to be good enough myself - and yeah, this becomes some sort of masochism then.
It's also pride and love, maybe something else, but firstly it's pain. Fortunately or not, it's that sort of pain that you get used to so it doesn't even feel like pain most of the time. You just know it's there.
_________
Activities on Italian: Duolingo, a few songs, a movie, Michel Thomas and speakASAP - last three from the day before yesterday.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 597 of 812
06 November 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
I don't do much about Italian, but yesterday I had tried my best to
keep improving my Duolingo stats per day. Ok, I failed, but I was way
too sleepy to go on further, plus the concept behind "la mia casa" is a
little bit alien to me, especially when I'm falling asleep in the day
before yet another colloquium.
I'm not sure about what will I do today, I certainly hope not to skip
Duolingo and also I want to get back to speakASAP course - if only
the tasks after lesson 1 were easier...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 598 of 812
07 November 2014 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
I am so caught up with everything I don't even have time for TED, which I now absolutely love.
On the other hand, I manage to watch Lie to me. And yesterday when I've realized that I'm close to actually skipping Duolingo session, I opened that and did only one part of the block before I felt too sleepy. After that I came back to an episode I was watching. That's just sad.
I hoped at least that I could find something Italian to listen to. I did, dammit, I even like a few somgs, but I still prefer Dornenreich, and also I was lucky to bump into Nocte Obducta:
Viel zu viel   
Viel zu weit fort   
Und das All trägt all die Wünsche an einen Ort   
Ohne uns

See my point about German that always haunts me? And yet I don't have the guts to revise things that I don't know so good and learrn new ones. Ich bin auch faul.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 599 of 812
07 November 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Some Italian handwriting (I am so not used to this hence it looks awful, but, well, let's see if I will laugh at it six weeks later):

Just compare it with my poor (well, rich - comparing to Italian) German just a few hours earlier:

I am sure now that I need something new with Italian. Grammar books and some actual Italian books/ translation on my smartphone - acquired.
But, well, I can't find the "stop" button every time I turn on Lie to me...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 600 of 812
09 November 2014 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Your latin handwriting looks really good. I found out most Russian natives have nice
latin handwriting, probably as a result of it being their second handwriting, learnt as
adults and without the years of interference and mutilation that apply to our native
handwritings. I can read you much easier than many people with native languages written
in latin (including czechs). Hey, I can read your notes easier than my own written during
a bad day, while standing in an overcrowded lecture room :-)

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version