Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 76 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 601 of 812
09 November 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Well, my lecture notes are awful, and every time when someone needs to use them, that someone knows that he's about to see lots of varieties of my bad handwriting (did I mention I still don't have some stable one?). And if the thing was written on a bad day - I can't read that too, hehe
______
Current situation in general:

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 602 of 812
09 November 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
You don't have a stable one? Welcome to the club. I have two or three variants with some
stable characteristics. It's not that uncommon.

I've seen an awesome photo of a doctor's handwriting in Mandarin. I think neither of us
has to worry :-)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 603 of 812
12 November 2014 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
The atmosphere plays its role too judging by this thing I copied in class during one boring presentation.

Dein Mut ist dein Vertrauen
Dein Vertrauen ist dein Selbst
Dein Selbst ist deine Tiefe
Deine Tiefe ist dein Gleichgewicht
Dein Gleichgewicht ist deine Allverwandtschaft
Deine Allverwandtschaft ist dein Mitgefühl
Dein Mitgefühl ist
Dein Mut

P.S. And almost no Italian. Not that I'm not interested, just really no time for that.

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3902 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 604 of 812
12 November 2014 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Your handwriting is very beautiful. I see some characters that are similar to russian
cyrillic ones and they are better this way (like your n looks like и)

I like it. My studies on cyrillic have also improved my handwriting on latin alphabet.
It's ae good side-effect of learning the russian language :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 605 of 812
12 November 2014 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Thank you! :)
But isn't this
Quote:
I see some characters that are similar to russian
cyrillic ones and they are better this way (like your n looks like и)

causing troubles distinguishing between n and u?

Edited by Via Diva on 12 November 2014 at 6:26am

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3902 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 606 of 812
12 November 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Well.. I didn't have any trouble reading your handwriting, so probably not.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 607 of 812
13 November 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Aside from getting Dornenreich in my top-8 on last.fm (compare it with last April on page 2):

I've decided to do something with German. Again. Well, my Italian experiment isn't going all too well, but I
do get these five minutes done daily. So I thought about continuing with Duolingo, studying both Italian
and German from English. I have tried studying German from Russian there and the best way to describe it
is to say meh.
Also, now, when I have Listening Practice website, I can finally get down to brushing up my awful listening
comprehension (even though it doesn't seem to be working in Opera). I took easy things only. Additionally
I've tried some easiest German there, and some phrases there were impossible. So much for over a year of
inconsistent studies.
Oops moment of the session: While I grieve, I hope instead of While I breathe, I hope. Oops.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 608 of 812
15 November 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
As you probably have seen here, my main source of studies is a lot of input: songs, books, movies and series. It's not that I hate textbooks, no, I'd be all over a good interactive textbook if I had one, but there is a language I can't really do that trick with. It's the one I'm using to write this post, yes.
I felt the boost because of a big amount of consumed material: daily movies, endless piles of series and so on. I am trying to recommend that to everyone who's complaining about their bad English to me and rarely I find the one who listens (actually none so far). Everything has its impact on me, sometimes so small I can't notice this, sometimes so big I can actually feel it being planted on me.
So here's my try to describe the impact of Lie to me.

I always bothered with accents and details, but it wasn't really consistent. Over here you have any English material categorised and divided into two many categories: AmE and BrE. And each time when I was bumping into some material I felt obliged to check whether it's BrE or anything else, because I thought I need BrE.
My browser has a built-in spellchecker, and guess the language it had been set to just until now. AmE, of course. Guess the language of my Swype keyboard? AmE, sure thing. And I am changing it to BrE right now.
Yes, that is the main impact from LTM: learning to distinguish accents and dialects all over again.
At some point a learner is better off making a choice between the two (IMHO, surely). I did not have make that one. I just kept mixing in American and British features, mingling them into some weird mixture which is, apparently, considered quite normal for everyone. Well, this is just because natives don't really have a choice.
Yes, they kinda have to listen to the language we're trying to produce. They're bound to notice small mistakes and act like nothing has happened. Perhaps they will see their language changing exactly because of all these little things learners and non-native speakers forget. That wouldn't be the only reason to it, but it would be one of the main ones.
I thought I like English culture more than American. I am Jane Austen's fan, so to speak, I've grown up on Joanne Rowling's books, and I like English series and movies. On the other hand, American culture has much more to provide. No one can beat them in input via songs - all the unscrobbled years with Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Three Days Grace (let's add Canada and make things continental, not limited to USA) plus Dream Theater (not theatre, as you can see), Savatage, Between the Buried and Me, Metallica... this list is long and AmE prevails.
To beat my own arguments up I can add that it was even harder for me to watch BrE content. I did not like the sound of some accents there (now I am not so sure), pronunciation was different from what I got used to and so on.
So I ended up with a mixture of a language, mostly influenced by AmE. But even though some BrE features were hard for me, even though I was really soaked wet in AmE, I have always been attracted to BrE more. I do not intend to emigrate to USA. That doesn't mean I am going to rush to UK, but if I were offered to choose between the two I would reply straightaway, and I would have chosen UK. It doesn't even matter whether I end up in Scotland or England, I'd embrace any option.
And what did LTM do to me about that? It has underlined my point of view. If you want to have English accent, you can work out to get it. The rest is not important. You will be very well understood, your speech, of course, will be different from what you will be exposed to, but if that's really important to you, the accent will stand everything.
It isn't that important to me, really, but all the small things I can do to make my accent more English - I would do that as long as it's not exhausting or even tiring.
It's also isn't the sole thing I got out of LTM, I think, but this the one I felt leaving its print on me. Now whenever I read "can't" I hear Tim Roth pronouncing it as [kɑːnt] (or is it [kʰɑːnt]?). Not sure if I pronounce it the same way, but it seems like I'm getting used to at least trying. Well, not having an opportunity to practice speaking always keeps me wondering about how the hell do I talk, so every impression I have about it I can't be sure about.

Wow, I really am sick, that damn graphomania of mine...

P.S. Duolingo rules, German resurrects.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version