Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 809 of 812
19 August 2015 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was all about German, because I spent more than 4 hours finishing off Herr aller Dinge. Well... I really don't know what to think of Andreas Eschbach. He obviously doesn't bother all too much with researching the stuff he writes about, or his
researches simply don't save him from mistakes. I don't know much about the stuff which goes on in this book, but there is enough of Russian used to make me laugh:
Otschen shal! - bad transliteration issue, example 1
Da. Prawilno. - in reply to whether the person speaks Russian or not
Ktschjortu! - do you ever spacebar, man?
Iswinieteje poschalsta - bad transliteration issue, example 2
Äto mnje nje nrawitsa - actually a good example, just looks funny
The funniest thing though is how the reader tries to pronounce this. When transliteration is good, it sounds fine. Sometimes that doesn't help him though. Nowaja Semlja is pronounced with the s sound, even though it's obviously transliterated with the
rules for German, therefore it should be z there.
Anyway, the book was really interesting. I rated it 4/5 on goodreads, because it might have been shorter, I guess.
As for my comprehension - let's just say that I got a lot of the stuff I read, maybe not in details, but still - a lot, more than I have expected. I guess that puts me at B2-C1 plateau now, at least from the point of reading. But I still don't know a load of
vocabulary and grammar. Yet it's useless to argue that my German is something relatively good now.
I will take some rest from German now, since it's the Czech 6WC (dude!), but I have some other Eschbach audiobooks to check. He might not write masterpieces, but they keep me interested, and the fact that I read (!) in German (!) and can follow (!) does the
rest of the job.

Tried to deal with yet another textbook for Czech again yesterday. The authors have some affinity towards my hometown, it's mentioned around 5 times there in just the first 2-3 lessons, which I would regard as a sign, had I been superstitious :)
There is one quite strictly expressed rule there which I kind of doubt:

According to that, být (the auxiliary one) never stands first in a past tense Czech sentence. I don't doubt that it doesn't happen often, but never?
Anyway, the pronunciation still makes me want to scream. I was never good with short/long vowels. I am just lucky enough to pick a language which makes a particularly big deal out of it.

P.S. Deleted the German pack in Semper, installed the Swedish one. Does no harm whatsoever so far :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 810 of 812
22 August 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I haven't studied anything recently. I do the Memrise sessions, I do L-R (Czech) every day, but I no longer listen to any radio or read textbooks. There is only one grammarbook which I can still give a chance, but it was written for English natives (or at
least it doesn't use my knowledge of Russian), so I doubt it will be useful anyway.

I hate writing down "to-do lists" and plans of any kind since I am rubbish at following them, but this time I have to do that.
I still remember my insane goal of covering basic Czech in 6 weeks. Even though this is obviously not really possible now, I was persuaded that it's still a matter of months or maybe weeks, but not years.
So, what do I have to do?
1) try Tarzan talk (but, tbh, being Russian native allows me to skip this, at least most of the time)
2) learn how to distinguish and pronounce stuff which makes me dizzy at the moment (intensive listening)
namely, a/á, e/é, i/í, ř and maybe some consonant clusters
I think I have to get recordings of pairs or words, listen, repeat and repeat until I am able to say it the way the Czech people say it
3) use the Russian grammar and change it to Czech along the way
that doesn't mean I will have to drop být and relearn to use it, nope. What I mean is that I don't have to look up which case verbs use (like I have to in German), at least I don't have to do that most of the time. In case of stumbling into an exception, in
my experience, things stuck in your head easily enough
4) pay attention to the vocabulary, false friends and the like
I do that already, but still
5) produce stuff aka write texts, speak, and the like
oh, and
0) not be afraid of making mistakes
that doesn't mean I will deliberately screw case endings, but merely that I won't bang my head against the wall when I do (and I won't avoid this kind of mistakes for sure)

P.S. Still passively learn Swedish vocab. I wonder if it'll stick.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 811 of 812
25 August 2015 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Via Diva proudly presents:
A very short guide to wanderlust
or name one item which triggered you to study a language
German: Es ist Leidenschaft.
Swedish: Millennium-serien
French: Les Rois maudits
Czech: Kometa

Some Czech verbs in 1st person singular make me think that I am a queen or an empress, compare: mluvím (1st person singular for "to speak" in Czech) and molvim (1st person plural for "to say" in Russian, outdated/poetic),
prosím (1st person singular for "to ask" in Czech) and prosim (1st person plural for "to ask" in Russian). Great that not all Czech verbs belong to this class, because I'd gone insane in no time if I had to compare myself to a
crowned person all the time.

Still haven't done much of studying. Last week of freedom, no mood for any textbook... oh, wait, I decided not to care about them. Still, no mood for being creative too. But! Yesterday I was finally able to more or less sing along to Kometa
(after having listened to it more than 500 times...). I listen almost exclusively to the version from Rok d'ábla, which is sorta faster than original, so maybe that's why I couldn't do much before that.

I'll get the Memrise course done soon. Although there is a bunch of words I don't need (most of which I ignore anyway), I hope this would be useful for me later one.

I found a place to get audiobooks in Czech from. No links for obvious reasons. Gotta admit, it demands signing up, and since it's all in Czech AND requires to answer a control question, I was nervous. But here's the question:
Quote:
Jaké je hlavní město České republiky v druhém pádě?

The words I wasn't sure about are the last ones. Knowing my luck, I decided to check everything with Wikitionary and Google Translate. And, well, now I have two books by Gillian Flynn ^^ The problem is to find the Czech text now, because...

... L-Ring Czech+Czech works bloody awesome! Really, a lot better than I have expected. Maybe it also has to do with a reader who doesn't change his voice for every another character (although I kind of got used to that). But maybe it's just
that the languages are indeed similar enough to be studied through listening. I seem to begin to differ long and short vowels even! I only think that they don't sound all that long in one-syllable words or when every vowel in a word is long, but
it's too early to make such conclusions, it's just one chapter, after all.

Meanwhile, I got myself yet another Twitter account: Deutsche Lyrik
If there are some fans of my handwriting (or handwriting in particular), my music taste and even my Photoshop skills, you're welcome to follow. Actually, you're welcome even if you don't fit that description xD

Speaking of my Photoshop skills... (click for 1920x1080)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 812 of 812
28 August 2015 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
It would be better if that had happened EARLIER. But, well... I present to you my first legitimate take on writing in Czech:
Prvních sto slov
Připadá mi, že já nic nechápu. Jak jsem začala jazyky učit? Proč jsem vybrala ty jazyky? Ačkoli vím já to. Ale nevím, jak to se dělat muset. Nevím, co možná s těmi jazyky dělat. Vím tak málo, že myslím, já nic nevím.
Proč jsem vybrala češtinu? Odpověď je jednoduchá, a tomu neuvěříte. Má odpověď je Jaromír Nohavica. Upřímně řečeno, je to jeho Kometa. Přiletěla ta kometa přímo v mém hlavu, a tak tam i zůstala. A toho mně dostačovalo.
Tak učím Česky skoro měsíc. Učím pomalý, a to není lehce, ale to je v pořádku. Má ruština mně velmi pomáhá.
lang-8

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version