Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 101 102 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 81 of 812
04 September 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Well, you can avoid the genitive in spoken language (although you won't
sound very educated), but there's no chance to get around it in written German.

Hence the commentary in Russian being "sufficiently rare", not "never". I agree with that
assessment. It is not like you never use it. But you don't use it often and it certainly
doesn't take priority. It is always the last case you learn and for good reason, whereas
acc/dat are always introduced more or less simultaneously in schools here.

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2013 at 5:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 82 of 812
04 September 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Schedule's changed all of a sudden. Now on Thursdays we have only Analytical Chemistry labs. And they're starting on the 3rd week only, so I've got two relatively free Thursdays ahead.
English now placed on Friday and in odd weeks this would be total nightmare of 5 lessons, starting with Physical Culture at 8:00 AM and finishing with Applied Mechanics practice, ending at 5:05 PM.
The only way to go through this (now it is an odd week) is to have real rest tomorrow. I hope that I'll be able to full that rest with German. It would've been funny to finally put some basic words in Anki using real dictionary (sorry, Google Almighty Translate, but I need something more serious).
Skype would've been also good, but since I'm too shy and introvert... But I'm also psychotic and I'm able to talk to myself easily (no wonder that my pronunciation is bad - how can one talk to oneself without understanding?!).
Eventually, I could've try something of these:

Since I've told you about all my options, considering that I'm an honest idiot, I'll do something anyway and tell you about it :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 83 of 812
05 September 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
5th of September, part 1
As it always occurs to me when I have big plans, I need to be really kicked to eventually start doing something. I tried one of these A1 books yesterday, listened while looking at text - all that I managed is the first chapter of Die spezielle Band. Judging by the required vocabulary, exercises after the chapter and my feelings: I'm still below A1. Nothing really terrible about this, I wasn't thinking that I'm somewhere higher anyway, I just got the proof.
Having been doing nothing in the morning so long that some sleepiness started to come at me, I realized that I'm wasting lots of time. Well, I did checked out two albums of Sieges Even, found that The Art Of Navigating By The Stars sounds better to me than Steps, but none of these two didn't suit my mood anyway.
Then in order not to fell asleep I mixed up casual games on my phone and English audiobook - finished The House on the Strand. It's funny now easy it's for me to listen books and how hard is for me to watch movies without subtitles. Maybe that's because I listen to books which I already read, but it doesn't work with films that I saw anyway. Perhaps, I wasn't trying hard, I do not know...
Anyway, before I got to Sieges Even I did a little checkout in my last.fm recommendations. I chose Die Apokalyptischen Reiter and Sieges Even, checked SE first, and now I'm sitting in astonishment because of DAR. Right now I'm listening to the last song from All You Need Is Love and I'm already able to say that I will listen to this group.
Actually, what a shame that Mikael Åkerfeldt haven't sang much in Swedish for Opeth! It would've been great if he did mixed up English and Swedish in first albums, it would've been great! But history doesn't like subjunctive mood...

Well, lesson 7 is still in my plans and I'll do it because I really want to find out how to describe past in German, hehe.

Music while typing... well, let it be Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Unter der Asche

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 84 of 812
05 September 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
5th of September, part 2
Nothing but past tense for speaking in lesson 7. Not even a mention about Präteritum.
Sounds really simple if listen to explanation, but she (teacher) told something about irregular verbs only in additional information. Also, no rules to differ verbs which turning into Partizip II (hehe, grammar terms are useful) by adding ge- only or by adding ge- and changing ending to -t.
Considering throw away all my vocabulary building plans and changing them to "verb journey" in two parts: firstly to learn the meaning and then to learn its forms. Oh no, it was a joke, hehe...
Ok, asking time. Is there some grammar textbooks similar to Practical English Usage by Michael Swan? Is it normal to try learn grammar that way at my low level? I think that I should deal with verbs since they are that important and only then deal with nouns, shouldn't I?
And I'm still curious if there's some English textbooks for those who knows schoolish German :)

I would've been very glad to exchange in Skype, mostly English-Russian. I recorded some Russian reading with my awful voice, now I'm going to do the same in English (add awful pronunciation), maybe German too (Schachnovelle, hahahaha! Joke, I do not dare...) and place links here and in first post. If you really want to hear that - fell free to tell me about it, it'll be a pretty kick for my lazy ass.
For those who have current humour problems:

I can't be sure about others, but in my Russian case it's a damn truth :)

P.S. Ich habe keine Probleme. Ich habe ein faul Gehirn. Das ist traurig Wahrheit, aber ich kann gut sein, ob ich es will...

Music while typing: Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Erhelle meine Seele

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 85 of 812
06 September 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
6th of September
No German but Anki and lots of plays of Erhelle meine Seele.
Boring English. All the fun starts at Monday when we'll come with chemical English textbook (The World of Chemistry by М. Кутепова), but I'm not sure if I'll be alright with that. There would be grammar works and nothing had changed there: I still hate any serious look into English grammar if it requires some control. Damn!
We worked with this interesting text in order to wake up after summer:

Nothing really hard for me. But there was no prevail from my side. Maybe others just have a good memory or practice English in their way - I do not know. And, honestly, it shouldn't bother me, it's not even usual for me to compete in English since I have always thought that I'm bad at languages, hehe.
Meanwhile, I dropped Atlas Shrugged and started Aurelio Zen in today's morning. Not that it was hard for me to deal with Ayn Rand's style, but I just decided to read something new. Due to the sudden window in our always changing schedule I've managed to read 14,8% or Ratking so far.

And I'm not lying - I listened to Erhelle meine Seele for the whole day. Check my scrobbling timeline :) I do not understand lyrics completely, but after some words checking with Google Almighty Translate I finally believed that they are damn beautiful and truly. Part of that in my harsh handwriting was uploaded on vk.com and shared it to my fb as well as a new entry with hashtags #SongOfTheDay #ПесняДня #каккурицалапой #handwtiring :)
These lyrics seems to be fitting my mood completely. And Fuchs's (if there is some backing vocals I do not know... next words adressed to every singing anyway) voice is so beautiful that I simply have no English words to describe my feelings.
Это спокойствие во время куплетов, это внешнее безразличие, скрывающее бурю внутри, которая все-таки прорывается в криках и в припеве, где истерика смешивается с надеждой и внезапно потом снова уходит куда-то далеко, отгоняемая все тем же внешне спокойным голосом...

Well, when I'll be able to think like this in English and German I'll probably will put them in "Speaks" section, hehe...

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 86 of 812
07 September 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Glad to see that there is someone who still able to read that :)

I was awaken in quite early morning, all my tries to sleep further, as usually, were determined to fail, so I wake up and take my headphones to listen to... yeah, Erhelle meine Seele.
It isn't the first time when I can't stop listen to something, but should I even think about it as of something that sometimes occurs to me? It's not my concern anyway. So I felt need to "draw" in Photoshop. When it's not enough for me to look at some wallpapers from internet, I usually can try to make one by myself. I'm not a profi, of course, all my Ps works are amateur and quite easy to do, but it suits me well.
Here's result (click on image for full 1366x768)

And here's one of my favourie things to share: wallpaper in action :)

By the way, Google Almighty Translate works really well in Deu-Eng scheme. Well, at least I'm able to notice some mistakes and understand the point. It's all much worse in Deu-Рус, mistakes in that case are really stupid (Es - Он, thought here clearly should be Оно...), but I hope that I'm good enough in English to work in that direction as less as possible.

Speaking of plans in language learning... it's Formula 1 weekend. But I want to watch Das Experiment and I hope I wouldn't forget about Anki. Small but something. If you have something to recommend me - feel free to say that :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 87 of 812
07 September 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Pronunciation examples.
I made some mistakes while reading both in English and Russian, but if my target was read something without mistakes... I would've never reach that, hehe.
Russian text (no translation available) here

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 88 of 812
08 September 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
8th of September
Haven't watched Das Experiment, didn't forget about Anki.
Lots of English in twitter due to F1 weekend :)

Already did some Anki and use mobile version of Memrise. I don't know what I'll be able to do today considering that I have to deal with Verb Infinitive for university English.
In Russian internet zone (рунет :) ) we can find many interesting materials for learning English, and, obviously, we can stick to one particular type. Few months ago I found "Английский как по нотам" and now I'm following these videos like people watch series. Yesterday something new came up: Passive Voice. Of course, I knew all these rules, but if I were asked to describe them, I would've stuck in wonder and finally escape the scene with "I don't know what to say". Maybe it's not enough to actually learn some rules, but this is excellent option for review. Here's one of my favourite episodes Просто о простом времени (Simply about Simple Tense). Despite its length (usually videos with some fundamental stuff are really big) I'm ready to rewatch these "tense" episodes all the time :)

So... No plans for German yet but to listen to more DAR :) This is bad, I can actually feel how my knowledge about German is fading away, but it'll be even worse in near future due to the university...

P.S. If one English native has nothing to do... that one could help me on lang-8 :)

Edited by Via Diva on 08 September 2013 at 5:07am

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version