Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 89 of 812
08 September 2013 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Very short weekending brief.
To sum all up, now I know something new about German, spoken past tense, for example. As it usually happens, now here's a bit of stagnation, but I do hope that I'll be able to go through it.
I discovered something German-languaged to listen, hehehe :)
Nothing particularly new in English. No regress, I hope, but no progress as well. I suppose that it's not up to me to determine my English level anymore since I can't really guess what's going on with language. One thing for sure: keeping log in this forum still motivates me enough and it's actually simple for me, I do enjoy to write here and I'm extremely happy when I see ANY feedback :)

Coming back to listening and finishing this brief:

Thanks to everyone who pays some attention to this log :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 90 of 812
09 September 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
9th of September
After English on Friday I realized that the only opportunity to have textbook for the next lesson is to take from the library as soon as I only can. The problem was that I couldn't do it right in Friday, had no lessons at Saturday, therefore no wish to come to university library... But there was the last moment - today morning.
Plus another problem: I was to take all semester textbooks before 7th.
Plus sudden rain today...
So I'm thrilled.
Russian version:

Alright, languages. German: nothing but Anki and Die Apokalyptischen Reiter songs :)
English - hadn't reviewed Verb Infinitive, was quite average on lesson today, forgot some important words... I definitely need put these words in Anki.
Also I have to drop series about Aurelio Zen. Our teacher (in this semester she teaches us "Chemistry of oil and gas") recommended to read The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power by Daniel Yergin. I doubt that I'll be able to read book in original, but I could use it as English extracurricular reading (we have to deal with 30000 symbols to the end of the semester). And I think that no one from our A group (yeah, we have more demanding during English, hehe) would've even think to try this book as extracurricular reading, so I'm free to choose :) And, actually, I've just found audio... LR? :)

Sad to see that there's no way that I know to learn some German without bad interactions, if you have some advices, please, feel free to tell me about them!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 91 of 812
09 September 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Wrong audio of The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power :(
But I'm still eager to try to read in original. This is my future specialty, I must know about it everything that I only can. And I'll start these tries right now!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 92 of 812
10 September 2013 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
10th of September
Lack of concentration and will led me to funny situation yesterday evening. I did 1.1% of Yergin's book (haven't even finished prologue, hehe) and after a while moved to Michel Thomas. As some of you, readers, can remember, there were difficulties, I didn't understand everything, broke the relaxation rule, tried to memorize something...
It's even worse now. Yesterday I listened to CD1 of Advanced German (yes, I missed CD2 of Foundation Review), and eventually that become some kind of a disaster. I can barely remember any new words and grammar rules except "diving" rules for spoken past tense, and they're not clear anyway. First of them that came up: "verbs with French origin do not need ge-, but only -t ending. Nothing else that I can remember right now.
Actually, I planned to listen without thinking/repeating, and, honestly, I did try to do something in the middle. It was hard to start in the beginning and almost impossible to follow in the end. Maybe that problem could came up because of English tenses which just can't stuck in my head for long enough, I do not know.
I still want to believe that German grammar is more likely to be easier than English in the course of remembering. I wonder how I broke in English grammar and moved to its using, but I'm not sure that this information would be useful for my German due to different situations. I hardly can create another English-alike environment which I built some time ago with music, films, books and, eventually, internet-communicating.
Yes, I'm pessimist, I always was like this and I always will :)
Anyway, I hope not to forget today's Anki and even try Memrise at home. No sure plans and whatever, but I need even a smallest bit of German every day just to justify myself...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 93 of 812
10 September 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
When I can't get to the subs, I have no choice but to listen as is. That was the thing with this interview: link
In case if someone is unfamiliar with F1: here's Niki Lauda, unordinary Austrian driver. He has 3 titles, awful and terrific crash in Nordschleife during 1976 season (hence the appearance and red hat). And now or soon in cinemas there is/ will be movie "Rush" by Ron Howard, where is young Niki played by amazing Daniel Brühl!
So, something got me surprised in here. In F1 there is absolutely no way to get on without knowing English. Plus, even when Lauda finished his racing career, he start some business, which, I'm sure, requires English as well. I do not expect that drivers tend to lose their accents - listen to Fernando Alonso, I can't say anything about his Italian, but his English has very strong accent which even I can catch. But at least they should talk without mistakes. I think that Lauda made some grammar mistakes with tenses (correct me if I'm wrong).
But the thing that caught me in somewhat awe was his pronunciation of the word "Monza". That is the name of Italian town and famous F1 track nearby. It should be pronounced with clearly German [z], but Lauda commits typical English mistake and says it with English [z]. The question is - why so?! Is it some kind of too big awareness (he keeps telling himself "Z as English [z]!"), is it some Austrian accent, is it something else?
The interview itself is very interesting, but he said "Monza" in English way lots of times and it really started to bother me...
P.S. We in Russia say "Монца", just as Italians do and, as I think, German-speaking people should do...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 94 of 812
11 September 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I suppose that every Wednesday will be pretty much the same as today: overwhelmed with physical chemistry I'll be unable to learn anything at all. Not that I do not enjoy language learning - I just need to find something systematic.
I hope that I'll eventually find that something, but now all that I can do is to watch movie.
I didn't even look at Anki. Hehe...

So, if there will be something worth logging - I'll write. Otherwise - no log today.
P.S. I'm still rather curious to hear some answers to yesterday's questions...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 95 of 812
12 September 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Only rewatched Gattaca yesterday. I really wanted to see something
new, but when I heard that tomorrow (today now) will be only one
English and because of it there will be a window at Friday, I lost any
mood to do anything.
Not to mention that none of us did homework, apparently...
So right now I'm sitting in university, enjoying free electricity and Wi-
Fi, which, sadly, can't fix my bad tempo anyway.
Just imagine: they're planning to put our analytical chemistry labs on
Saturday evening (15:30 - 18:50). I just do not know how to describe
my feelings in any language without bad, bad words. Plus, our
Saturdays were supposed to be free from the beginning. And those
who create that schedule, of course, do not care to ask what we're
thinking. Damn!
I should at least look at my homework, but now in order of some
protest I want to read that book about German grammar, which
(book, not grammar) I do not like very much. I have enough time for
boredom...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 96 of 812
12 September 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
12th of September
We're saved from labs on Saturday, but we still have one lesson on Thursday plus university on Fridays from 8:00 to 18:50.
Ok, not for tomorrow Friday. Tomorrow we'll have to choose between physical culture and 2 empty lessons. Two years ago I would've choose two windows. But now that's not even a proper choice!
So... there were quite a few of us on English today, and I think that we did pretty good while being unprepared. And, actually, I prepared some Anki cars and called them "English & Chemistry / Science", they are Rus-Eng and if you interested of something like this - feel free to ask for share, but wait some time for it to become worth looking :)
There were tries of audition and when I got home I decided to watch something English without subs. I tried "Ray Donovan", but there were absolutely no help since I haven't saw that before. Then I turned on "State of Play" (English series), that's definitely better, but I'm not in a mood to REwatch it now.
I ended up with recording. Here's text from our textbook (photo is bad, any size but original is useless)
I recorded two pieces. One was nearly breathless (just like Matt Bellamy's singing, hehe), another is with breath and some stupid mistakes.
If someone's interested, I can record translation into Russian :)

I do not want to drop all languages all of a sudden for the rest of the day, and if something interesting will appear, I'll write :)

P.S. Did Anki for German. Need something more.

Edited by Via Diva on 12 September 2013 at 12:48pm

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version