Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 145 of 812
04 October 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Well, mess is not as big as I thought it to be. Missed physical culture, wasn't able to mess up during lab (hence almost no mistakes with our work), survived 3 lessons of thermodynamics... When I was home, I had to answer in German on lang-8 and this is all my German practice for today.
Except...

And now I'm off to watch "The Americans" :)
Ok, not right now. When I'll be able to stop this:

Edited by Via Diva on 04 October 2013 at 3:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 146 of 812
05 October 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Things are the same as yesterday: sole German practice on lang-8 and lots of listening German songs, generally only to Sandmann. "The Americans" are all over me, next episode in this moment is 9th (of 13). Plus I've started to listen to "Officially Dead" audiobook. I don't remember where exactly I got that, but I think it's level 6 of Macmillan Readers. And it's really good thing to listen, I understand nearly everything. And considering that I haven't read that book before, it is really interesting for me not to forget about the audiobook.
Well, even if I'll stay up to watch the rest of "The Americans" in order to get to the end, I have plenty things to do tomorrow. F1 race, homework for Monday, Tuesday... I wonder if I can do some actual German practice in this time.
Ah, and today I did Anki, how can I forget to mention? It seems that Anki is not fit into my way of language learning. Of course, I can live with no bothering about vocabulary at all, but I have no time for that. Any advices about building and expanding vocabulary in other way?

Edited by Via Diva on 05 October 2013 at 3:19pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 147 of 812
05 October 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Finished first season of "The Americans", absolutely thrilled about
plot. I really like series, though I'm thinking that most of native
Russian actors are overplaying (переигрывают). Pretty the same
situation usually happens to either inexperienced or bad actors. But
it's actually better than nothing at all - the most part of spoken
Russian is done by natives and that's good. The scenario is
somewhat natural.
When I see something that I like I usually tell to my mother about it. Plus, I think
that nothing could beat the first episode so far (except for 13th,
hehe). Well, she was sceptical on a halfway through the first episode,
she actually said that she don't like how americans see russians in
their movies. When she watched first episode, she said "Not bad"
(ничего так, to be precise), which is very high mark from her. I think
that if she hasn't to be somewhere else she'd finished the whole first
season in one day - that never was a problem to her in the
weekends. But she managed to see 6 episodes, and I move on from
5th episode to the final 13th. Yeah, this is catchy. Worth spending the
time, wasting the whole day, nearly forgetting about F1, etc.
So... if you want to hear some Russian - watch "The Americans".
If you like spy stories - watch "The Americans".
If you think that history (and Cold War in particular) is boring - watch
"The Americans".
If you like to see unsure people making mess from these lives -
watch "The Americans".
If you want this list of "if you..." to stop - watch "The Americans".

P.S. 1:57 AM here. Even Sandmann can't help - I think of
myself as of sandman, not the poor kid...

Edited by Via Diva on 11 October 2013 at 12:49am

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 148 of 812
06 October 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Absolutely mixed up feelings before the evening. No German so far, first snow, crazy F1 race and... "The Scapegoat".
Ok, the last one I should explain.
So... I'm very fond of Daphne Du Maurier. Of course, as a person with quite an imagination, I can easily dream about good movie, which could be pictured with her scenario. The very best of her work is "Rebecca", but even there movie is different in some seem-to-be insignificant moments. Hitchcock actually did several movies, somewhat connected to Du Maurier books. He made absolutely frustrating movie "Jamaica Inn", for example. But hope always stays somewhere here with you. So, once I found out that there is the movie "The Scapegoat", but it is not translated into Russian yet. In that time I wasn't ready even for Eng subs, but the problem was that I wasn't able to get movie even without any translation. So I decided to wait.
Yesterday after finishing "The Americans", I looked into Matthew Rhys filmography and was completely surprised to see "The Scapegoat" in the list. Today morning before the race I found out that there is two movies with the same foundation. Downloaded them both - yes, the older movie appeared in my source in last year.
I watched the older one... It's too simple to be Du Maurier. Damn, it's TOO simple. What a shame! But I put 7/10 because even with this simplification movie looks decent, considering the time when it was made.
And I will not forgive these mistakes to the new movie. And I hope that I'll watch it soon.
Really, no place for German. I'm fond of Stefan Zweig, but movie based on his Angst was as bad as "Jamaica Inn". "The letter from the unknown woman" is way better, but I do not like that novel as much as Angst. Anyway, it's better for me now to concentrate on English if German is going rather slow. I don't want to take a break, but if I have no choice, I will.

But there is one way to help me. You can write me in German. Look for example on lang-8 (links in the first topic post) and if it's not very hard thing for you to do - go ahead. I'd be happy to be demanded of answer in German. Really. But not necessary.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 149 of 812
07 October 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Another empty day from the point of German. Even the favorite song at the moment is too fast to concentrate.
On the contrary, lots of English. Did most of my homework in the bus (Rus-Eng translation about organic chemistry, check it on lang-8 if you're curious), translated quite good sized F1 post Eng-Rus. Since I'm always glad to do translation, I seem to have more effect after that. But, as usual, I have no real desire to do in all the time. And no need as well...
But not now. On Thursday we'll finally present our extracurricular reading. There's only one problem. We've been told to prepare text about organic chemistry, but I already have in mind an idea to present something from "The Prize". And, of course, I forgot to ask teacher about that. Well, I don't think she'll be against it anyway.
Now I have to choose between physical chemistry, German and sleeping. Guess what I'll choose? Right, neither of these. No, I'll be playing Alien Hive on my phone, reading Russian translation of "The Prize", but neither of these, no.

Edited by Via Diva on 07 October 2013 at 4:24pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 150 of 812
08 October 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
The day of nothing. Too worried about everything, but not languages. No mood for German, no mood at all. I want to gain some passive skills like listening, but I don't think that this is actually useful.
However... Yes, I'll try it right after finishing the post. I'll be looking for text for extracurricular reading, then playing Doodle God/ Doodle Devil on my phone (Rus/ Eng) and listen to something German in that time. Interestingly, how long will I survive while listening to something that I really can't understand.

Still I have hope for more. The very fact that I keep write about it here gives me hope that I'll fight through this apathy.

P.S. Spoczywaj w Pokoju, Joanna Chmielewska!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 151 of 812
09 October 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Got myself ready to the extracurricular reading (about 12 thousands symbols, don't know I'll will make it in time). One of results is quite a list of words, in whose meanings I wasn't sure. Of course, I want these lists to be smaller or at all absent, but (nearly typed aber, hehe) I can't see the way for it. Learning words out of context - useless, learning words in context for me is possible only while reading, but I really don't want to take pauses and look into dictionary. Even when I made it an extremely easy thing to do (press the word for a second while reading in Moon Reader and then look at the results in GoldenDict) - it was annoying. As far as I can see, this is a vicious circle for me. But what can I do? I'm used to read fast and deal with book slower if I like it sometime after. And I also hate to read with skipping unknown words if the sense of the sentence become somewhat missing.
Anyway, I guess, I can live with that now - I managed before, why it all should collapse now?

German... *shameful exhale* Well, yesterday I did listened to something in German. It appeared to be Die Faelle des Komissar Wagner and part of Die Raeuber. Not the wisest choice ever made, but I can't say that I didn't understand anything at all. Well, there were exercises between the parts of Die Faelle des Komissar Wagner, and, of course, I wasn't at all able to cooperate, but some points of the stories I heard nearly clearly. But I don't remember them anymore. And that wasn't the point of listening. It wasn't.

Anyway, now, after some good reviews, I'm going to deal with...

To those who do not know Russian: "German from zero to perfection in 30 lessons"
Don't ask me how, I haven't really looked in it yet.
But reviews are leading me to my experience with that 7 lessons course, whose usefulness or absence of that I was describing in about a month ago. If I will bear my laziness and will be looking 1 lesson per day...
*drowned in dreams*

Edited by Via Diva on 09 October 2013 at 4:53pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 152 of 812
10 October 2013 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Just read the first lesson of these 30. To be brief: pronunciation nightmare like sch is always hard, l is always soft, tongue down to teeth, lips like donkey - I never thought that German pronunciation could be that hard. Even relatively simple ü was turned from our ю to some mix of у and э[ - I just can't guess how he'll describe ö, which is significantly hard vowel for me.
Author gives us Russian transcription for German words, but when I saw bitten and bieten without them, I realized that on no conditions I can pronounce these two verbs differently. And there was no transcription, because these verbs appeared during training of verb conjugating and discussion of well-known (to author) mistake with verbs, whose base is closing with sound t.
Plus there were some rules like "use articles just as you need", "learn words with article and plural form". Well, the title says "form 0 to perfection" while I'm, apparently, not zero anymore. Still, I'm scared by strict sounding of these rules (especially pronunciation ones), and I honestly do not know, how I'll manage.
Now I'm off to the university, maybe I'll re-read lesson in bus, maybe even go further, but I'm definitely unsure about all that.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version