Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 217 of 812
25 October 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Extremely poor day for all languages but my own Russian. I've watched Despicable Me 2, orig+subs, but that's all by now. Plus German songs. Well, now I really have to admit that my interest to languages is falling down. Considering that I had had long abandonment period before, now I'm probably going to repeat it. I honestly do not want to do it, but since I have no will and whatever, it may happen that I wouldn't be here for a while.
However, I do hope that I'll keep posting just for the sake of my English :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 218 of 812
26 October 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
While German is in standby mood, English is the thing to improve. I've finished adapted audiobook Officially Dead, re-listened to one chapter of English Eugene Onegin's translation by Stephen Fry and re-watched Equilibrium. Neither of this was very hard for me, except the moments in Equilibrium when the speech was too quiet for my ears.
I wanted to record English podcast, I really tried, but every time there were distractions and finally I decided to do it another time. Probably tomorrow :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 219 of 812
27 October 2013 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Belarus tries to make salesmen and others ready for 2014 World Hockey Championship:

:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 220 of 812
28 October 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
While I was empowering my English with Touch series, German was nearly completely abandoned - or, to put it simply - I didn't do anything about it. Well, I watched few videos about verbs in German, but that was it.
Anyway, today I've got another brick to support my feelings to German: a wonderful word der Kummerspeck. It means an action when one's eating a lot in order to deal with the depression. Of course, Google Almighty Translate will fail to explain it to you and you'll get the literal translation "grief bacon", but if one wants to get the truth, he'll do it, eh?
Another great word is das Backpfeifengesicht. Awww, it's just wonderful! The more of these amazing pieces of German I'll find, the sooner I'll be back to my study! I hope so...
Und jetzt sollte ich schlafen gehen, also hoffe ich, dass der Morgen besser sein würde.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 221 of 812
30 October 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I think that me being normal is the thing that finally drove me crazy. So, here we go:

link to the original
Any help with second task would be appreciated :)
P.S. Improving (?) English with Touch (Eng + Rus subs) - quite hard to stop, even if take to the account that I'm already sick of all god-talking...
P.P.S. Just noticed obvious mistake in German sentence from previous post. Ich bin dumm!
P.P.P.S. Of course, fing = find *hysterical laughter*

Edited by Via Diva on 30 October 2013 at 4:15pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 222 of 812
30 October 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
кроме меня cannot be translated as "aber mich" in this context ("aber" is always но or
a). You could rephrase it to say "aber ich nicht" (but not me). Or you can choose another
preposition like "ausser".

I think I would also not write "Everything's a novelty", but drop the article, or rewrite
it more poetically as "Everything's new". How you would render that poetically in German
I don't know.

Edited by tarvos on 30 October 2013 at 4:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 223 of 812
30 October 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! The thing is - I wasn't translating. I found a website, fell in awe while seeing the amount of the translated songs and when I was writing that down, I figured that there is something wrong. Hence my task 1 :)
Text is not mine, btw, all questions to Between the Buried and Me :)

Edited by Via Diva on 30 October 2013 at 4:23pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 224 of 812
31 October 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
In order to escape this awful reality I watched Touch all day long and got to the end of it. Well, I can certainly say that first season was really better that second one, I even start thinking good about Japanese (not good enough to learn it though). But the second one also have its good moments, I'm talking about Saïd Taghmaoui - he was amazing from my point of view.
The most frustrating thing in scenario - too many of various gods. The most upsetting one in common - speech. I'm sure I would not understand a thing without subs, because Kiefer Sutherland's voice sounds like whispers. Maybe my ears are in mess, maybe I'm just persuaded myself, but this is what I think. He wasn't the only one with that whisper-speech, but he was surely the easiest of them to be remembered, eh?
So, apart from interesting, but not at all perfect scenario and astonishing (in a good way) speech of some of the characters, I've got not much of real help to my English. I even would've said that this wasn't worthy improvement for my English. That's why shortly afterwards I went to download British English series - The Fall. Oh, I see that USA was involved and that the actions should take place in northern Ireland, but still I'm sure that the actual speech will be better than that of Touch.
German is in fading mode once again, it seems that now I tend to listen Between the Buried and Me which is not much of a help to it. But, who knows, maybe I'll go through my Trilingual Madness once again this evening?

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version