Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 225 of 812
02 November 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
While my German continues being neglected, I've been thinking what am I to go.
Well, it seems that I do have a plan to follow.
When I realized that I'm literally tired of Ian McEwan, it lead me to a simple outcome: I won't read him in original. Thus, I have to find something else. And I did:

However, I found him quite challenging... who knows, maybe this is because of his brother's influence? Anyway, I got tired pressing words too often, and this morning I suddenly understood, what to do with that.

I doubt that there are some bilingual texts of Gerald Durrell, but even if there are - I don't really need them. I have read and re-read these books not once or twice, so Russian version is not very important. I intend to use it when things are really hard and I can't figure out what the part of the text about without real work with dictionary.
So, here's only one thing that could stop me. Lack of patience.
I do not put it in any time borders, so I think that eventually I'll finish trilogy. When it'll happen - very interesting question, but I don't care about it now.
Speaking about the rest: listened to a lot of Between the Buried and Me, to be precise: Desert of Song and Swim to the Moon. As I've told before, this is normal thing for me.
Translated another F1 text in Russian, which turned out to be quite popular. However, I don't think that this is somehow related to the languages, no. It's all because of Kimi :)
So. here are races to watch, homework to do and The Fall to be finished. Lots of stuff, but Monday is part of my brand Russian weekend! :)
P.S.

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 226 of 812
04 November 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
All languages went strictly passive. Or not? Having participated in discussions here and closing the page with thoughts like "I seemed to say everything I wanted" counts?
Then my English receives quite an improvement every single time :)
So, I finished The Fall, watched Thorne and ordered my mother to check Wallander for me. It'll take time to find subs and if that'll be hard I'll have to choose between Russian sound and original without subs. Ah, I hate my bad listening skills!
Met a friend which appear to be getting parallel education as an interpreter in juristic sphere. After a struggle I managed to show her my level of spoken English and she begged me to stop in order not to get upset. I was blabbering, so she couldn't understand me really clear, but she said that I speak good English in her opinion. Maybe I'll manage to drag her here in order to help her improve her spoken English. Well, I'm useless here, my approach is way too long for her, so I do hope that she'll come here to find someone to help her better :)
German, can you please wake up for Trilingual Madness?

Well, it's not even worth to place the original one.
It's sad to see that when I asked Google for English translation of song, one of the results was my last.fm shout. I need to find some database with right translations ASAP...

Edited by Via Diva on 04 November 2013 at 1:29pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 227 of 812
05 November 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
No real movement since yesterday. However, I have to prepare extracurricular reading for Thursday... Considering that physical chemistry would be truly deadly for me tomorrow I will come back home with a strong desire to do something I'm good at.
Downloaded a whole bunch of English books in morning, I could be kinda late for university if I hadn't stopped myself, hehe. I don't really know if I want to continue The Corfu Trilogy for 1) I can't walk everywhere with actual books 2) therefore, I have to read without Russian text which sometimes is hard 3) I've read this book before, after all. Most of the things that I downloaded in the morning are unread and, as my experience with The Compound and its continuation shows, I can read something fast enough if it's not hard and interesting. Both of this conditions are present in the descriptions of every book there. So, most of them are Intermediate, some Upper-Intermediate and even one Advanced, however, I'm not going to read it soon anyway.
I don't really know how to call my level in English but stupid one. My mistakes are stupid, the amount of unknown words makes me stupid, the inability to make decent translation regardless of direction (Eng-Rus, Rus-Eng) looks stupid... It's much better to live with no idea of any levels of language knowledge. I knew nothing abour CEFR until I got here, and the very perspective to participate in such an examination sounds really good, but for what? I've no idea, am I B2 or A2? Certainly not C1 or, hehe, C2, but this is not much of a consolation.
Anyway, I though that I wouldn't fall asleep having done my physical chemistry homework all wrong and my labs not written, but just to sit here and type an another entry is really relaxing.
Still listen much to Between the Buried and Me, don't know every single word of their song's lyrics, and, actually, don't care too much about :)

I even wanted to give two first lines to the crazy flow of my Trilingual Madness, but not now. Though I am relaxed, my mood is not at all good and there is nothing that really helps it now. Schade, aber kann ich nicht mich lernen zwingen. Es wird mich nicht retten.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 228 of 812
05 November 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
You can form full phrases, B2 is very likely.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 229 of 812
06 November 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Well, if it is, I should be glad :)
Physical chemistry was not deadly, but colloquium is waiting for our empty brains, so I had to do something with myself. But not today: I came home, drowned in internet, re-watched some videos (MiniDrivers, Horrible Histories, some songs, after all) then watched 1st episode of The Shadow Line. I wanted to go further, but I decided to listen to some BTBAM and now I'm right in a middle of brand BTBAM's maze, hehe. So, here's my handwriting for it - the best way to deal with it while actual listening:

originals by clicking on the actual image
I've only one question about it: is it getting better? But, honestly, I do not need to see answers. My handwriting is a matter of conditions and lots of stuff I just can't control. Nothing would be really better without proper practice which I do not have anyway.
German: few songs, few thoughts and nothing more. Actually, it's hard to deal with German when you can listen to 10 minutes long song for just a two lines of clean vocals. Alright, not just for that, but mostly for that.
That's pass anyway, and if I'll be hit by something German once again, I'll be able to make some sort of a breakthrough. No promises, but just a possibility.
P.S. If I'll find out that songs of BTBAM which I listening are not translated to Russian yet... yep, I'll do my best to fix it :) However, I don't think that they aren't translated, it would've been very weird.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 230 of 812
07 November 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Due to some strange stuff there was no English today. I didn't go to the university, stayed home and spent whole day doing nothing. Or?..
Watched 2 episodes of The Shadow Line, don't like it much, but Eccleston and the scenario do the job of keeping me beside screen.
Also watched Die Wand in German with Russian subs. There is too much of a talk (diary talk) and too few of an action. 8/10, but not to be re-watched even for the learning purpose.
Translated two Between the Buried and me songs into Russian, placed one of them on two sites. One of the sites seems to ignore me, other one should be moderating my translation. There are some weak spots, no doubt, but I think they'll publish that. Once it's done, I'll leave links here.
You can try to guess actual songs which I translated, hehe :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 231 of 812
07 November 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I have seen BTBAM live once, I think. But for my money it's an overrated band; I hated
Colors when it was released. I still think their singer is terrible.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 232 of 812
07 November 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, they are certainly underrated here. Speaking honestly, I really had listened only to two last albums and sole Mordecai. They're seems to be following Opeth's way for me: "I hate these growls" stage - "Well, I can listen to this, I think" stage - "Blimey, it's awesome!" stage.
And I do like Tommy's clean vocals. His growling is way more not understandable than that of our dear Mikael, but I got used to it. And music... it always takes time to got into me. It took nearly a year in this case, hehe.
I hope that Death will follow this way too. I do like The Sound of Perseverance and I like its music as well, but earlier growl albums are the mess of a technical death metal which doesn't flow into my ears right.

Edited by Via Diva on 07 November 2013 at 5:30pm

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version