Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 249 of 812
18 November 2013 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm already exhausted though nothing bad has really happened yet.
I was told to make a presentation about solid waste management for
the conference in medical university. Unfortunately, my brain went off
and both versions appeared to be bad (too technical, too many text
and so on). Well, today I've got a bunch of useful advices, and I might
be good with that if there wasn't a physical chemistry colloquium. It
seems that I've already chosen to give up colloquium and try to
impress medical university's freshmen a little bit.
Actually, I was furious while I was seeking for information. Okay,
open dumps — absolutely no bad wonder that this is quite poplar
here. But not having a single solid waste management plant in
Siberia? Well, I certainly wasn't prepared for that.
Plus, at English lesson we were told that "automate" isn't the option if
you want higher mark. And you know what? I'm not sure that'll
choose a road to 5. Oh, I'm not at all sure...
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 250 of 812
21 November 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
A day of improvisation and revisiting things.
From Saturday's evening i was preparing that presentation about waste management. Today I've finally presented it. I don't think that it was extremely good for I was really thrilled. Anyway, the rest of the conference was boring so I was glad to get out of there.
At English lesson before all that take place we were discussing an exam topic about environment. I intentionally hadn't prepared for it, but since I was the last to speak, left for a dessert, it was easy to come up not only with all sorts of pollution but to mention about using natural resources.
Btw, the English exam would be our last. At least I can be sure that it wouldn't affect neither analytical, nor physical chemistry - two other exams that we have to pass.
Now to revisiting things. Feeling myself terribly on Monday (or Tuesday? I'm sclerotic...) I began re-reading The Girl with Dragon Tattoo in English. I forced myself to stop for this post and some writing in analytical chemistry lab journal. I stopped here:

Actually, I feel need to re-watch Swedish movies. Oh, the hell I do! Actually... yeah, I'll write in journal while downloading. Easy and logical.
German is in songs. And I managed to get the meaning of this note without much of a brain work and dictionary:

While I was seeking I also got the point of another one:

Damn, this is really nothing practical, but I'm glad! Das freut mich SEHR!
The movie will take eternity to be downloaded, but this was sole normal version Swedish original (other one was for iPad - no, thanks. don't have one with this screen resolution). Now my task is to find subs and wait, hehehehe. Beware of idiots like me!

Edited by Via Diva on 21 November 2013 at 2:58pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 251 of 812
22 November 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
The ice has been cracked: i saw Män som hatar kvinnor in Swedish with English subs.
I have only one thing to say - I should not think about Swedish anymore.
Pronunciation scares me. No, really, sometimes words sound like the speaker paused and then went on. Simple names like Anita turns into something mysterious and I don't really know if I can manage with that.
Still I do like the actual sounding of the language. It's like melodic and somewhat pathetic German to me. German sounding pleases me more, but despite of me being afraid of pronunciation I still would be dreaming of learning Swedish, I guess...
Nothing really more to tell. Finished The Girl with Dragon Tattoo, just started the next one, but I can make a break for Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat - had read that in Russian not for once. His Discworld was much more harder thing to read, I've really enjoyed only Death's adventures, but I think that original can help. I hope so, anyway.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 252 of 812
22 November 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I am actually reading Безумная Звезда right now.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 253 of 812
23 November 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Is it easy to read? The Unadulterated Cat turned out to be hard, I only get away in most cases because I remember something from Russian translation...
English not only in songs, but in part of F1 FP3 - speech wasn't very clear due to quality of streaming and speakers themselves, but I understood enough to feel comfortable. However, I did not dare to risk and watch last qualification of season in English, so I didn't get as much English as I could, but it is something anyway.
German: songs only.
Swedish: Flickan som lekte med elden. You know what? Desperation fades away. Yeah, maybe they just do not talk that much comparing to first part, but still it's something! Plus, I even was able to catch negatives with inte. I did not actually remember them from the course book I have, but even those vague memory finally reacted.
I do know that this means nothing and I'm still hungry for German and successful English exam, but...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 254 of 812
24 November 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Watched Luftslott som sprängdes. Desperation seems to be far away.
Actually, in their speech there are moments those seem rather strange to me for I'm not used to pitch accent. These long vowels reminds me about me trying to make vowel long - I can only make it loo long or short and there is no other way around for one without proper hearing of languages. You wouldn't hear much difference if I say beach and its shorter analogue one after another. Really.
So, Swedish in that account seems much easier. If vowel is long, make it long just as you're always trying to. Well, I do know that this is pretty unusual even for me, but I think I can cope with that. I also understand that this is not the sole problem of Swedish which could be hard for learners, but it is something for the first time.
Ok, let's go to another points.
For I'm lazy and thoughtless girl, I'm going to re-watch something English today before the F1 race.
I did some things in Duolingo for my poor German and I see that my translation potential is still alive and well regardless of wasted time without any lessons. In short: it certainly fades, but it's still there.
I think I should improve one important point of English grammar which I seem to be forgotten: managing times. Don't know if I'll do it, but I need to. Exams seem to be so far away until you see the mountain of things to learn...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 255 of 812
24 November 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Is it easy to read? The Unadulterated Cat turned out to be
hard, I only get away in most cases because I remember something from Russian
translation...
in English, so I didn't get as much English as I could, but it is something anyway.
German: songs only.
Swedish: Flickan som lekte med elden. You know what? Desperation fades away.
Yeah, maybe they just do not talk that much comparing to first part, but still it's
something! Plus, I even was able to catch negatives with inte. I did not
actually remember them from the course book I have, but even those vague memory finally
reacted.
I do know that this means nothing and I'm still hungry for German and
successful English exam, but...

Having read the English translation helps, yes.

About the vowels:

Не так страшен черт, как его малюют.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 256 of 812
24 November 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I'll see :)
Instead of re-watching something I download lots of stuff and managed to watch one of them: The Last Weekend. Quite good but for 8/10, maximum, I think. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Eng+Eng scheme still in action.
Among these downloaded stuff there are two Swedish movies, one to watch, another to re-watch. Here I can be sure: I saw Stockholm Östra in Swe+Rus set and this was absolutely alright, though I wasn't paying enough attention to the language itself.
So, F1 season is over, my English activity would be lower (it's mostly because of Twitter and many accounts will be quieter than usual. But my weekends well be relatively free till the middle of March, so...
I actually have chosen a lot of Swedish to watch later, it's just that my HDD is not flexible to keep that too. I'll think something and will download more eventually. Maybe at some point of all this madness I'll add Swedish to my "studies" list... oh, I don't know. We'll see Ж)

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version