Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4655 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 33 of 812
16 August 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Since you happen to be a prog meta fan, do you know any German prog bands? :)

I've only found Traumhaus...
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 34 of 812
17 August 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Not any that sing in German. I think there are a few, but they all rather seem to enjoy
power metal combo's.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 35 of 812
17 August 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
stifa not the pure prog (but who has pure prog?!). I like Rage but they are more of a heavy metal.
Our pirate sources tells next:
Owl (Progressive Death Metal)
Syphenia (Progressive Metal)
SEELENWINTER (Gothic Progressive Metal)
Lacrima Christi (Progressive Death Metal
Transcendence (Progressive Metal)
ForTiorI (Progressive Metalcore | Math Metal | Djent)
and this list could be much longer, but what's the point of blind search?
Most tagging on last.fm are: Vanden Plas (simular to Shadow Gallery) , The Ocean (simular to Isis), Deadsoul Tribe (Austria, simular to Psychotic Waltz).
And I remeber another one - Poverty's No Crime (simular to Vanden Plas).
Lots of Scandinavian bands over there, hehe.
I hope that was at least a bit helpful :)
P.S. German is nearly absent over there. I know Angizia and Untoten, they could have prog elements, but that is avant-garde :)
P.P.S. Panzerballett, Weissglut (now Silber, more of gothic/industrial) with German language, thanks to Wikipedia :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 36 of 812
17 August 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
17th of August
Feeling kinda upset now. But let's start with the beginning.
As you can easily guess (and even check somewhere, hehe) I spent morning with music. Everything was good, I even managed to sleep a little bit more than usual after good conversation here (other forums and sites are kinda empty these days) and that gave me some of a good mood.
With that good mood I listened to CD5 of Michel Thomas. Lots of uncertainty, lots of checking with Google Almighty Translate. But lesson was good anyway (finally heard about that often appearing zu, hehe). Then in my plans was movie.
I like Gerard Butler since The Phantom of the Opera (2004). I really like him, I even asked about his filmography in Krasnoyarsk newspaper "Комок" by sending them SMS about 5-6 years ago (when we had no internet to find this information). But some part of that filmography makes me insane. So, today I watched another movie from upset-causing category, Olympus Has Fallen. I put 7/10 with breaking heart - how come that Gerard Butler, having played in such movies as Dear Frankie, The Phantom of the Opera, P.S. I Love You, Law Abiding Citizen... I can't even find the words to properly describe my disappointment.
Apparently, I'll be no more good in German today, hence there will not be 2nd part. Maybe I'll rewatch something, maybe listen some music, but my good mood is seriosly damaged.
But I'll be alright tomorrow for more Michel Thomas, hehehe :)

Music while typing: Любэ - Белый лебедь

Edited by Via Diva on 17 August 2013 at 5:32pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 37 of 812
18 August 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
18th of August, probably, part 1
Funny day. Listened to Daphne Du Maurier's The House on the Strand in the morrning to get more listening skills and to enjoy a good novel. Then watched Oblivion after my cousin's strict recommendation, 10/10 - maybe higher than it should be, but it made my mood. Then it was broken by my failure to fix Android on some slow LG smartphone, but I wasn't completely destroyed by it. So I listened to CD6 of Michel Thomas then. It gets harder, I'm starting to lose many details, using more Google Almighty Translate... but, maybe, that was because of my mood and because of loud singing from kitchen (mom with her friends celebrating another Sunday with vodka, hehe). Apparently, I will not take anymore German today, but I could listen to more Daphne Du Maurier, and (if required) write second part.
P.S. Am I writing like intermediate or upper-intermediate? Just curious :)

Music while typing: Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 38 of 812
19 August 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
19th of August, part 1
Quite positive start of the day with popular science YouTube videos. First of all, I can understand pretty big parts of it, which is very good for subtitles-addicted one. Now I know some funny things. For example, when you press spacebar on keyboard, you're one of 600000 people, who are doing exactly the same thing in that very second. Hence, you're never alone, hehe :)
Got myself heated on the streets while walking to the shop, here is +26 C. It's like summer do not want to leave us with rain and wind. Well, I believe in global warming, and there is only one fact which could possibly help me - it was way worse in the last year, we lost much of agriculture products during the summer.
I have to listen to Michel Thomas, but if I will not get into required relaxed mood (which is possible, hehe), I will just listen to CD6 once more. Anyway, I hope that there will be something to describe in part 2 :)
P.S. +27 right now. Someone freeze us from this desert!

Music while typing: The Fall of Every Season - Her Withering Petals

Edited by Via Diva on 19 August 2013 at 9:05am

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 39 of 812
19 August 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
19th of August, part 2
CD7 of Michel Thomas is only made everything worse. I started to mess with his handles and "zu" cases earlier, but now that problem is only gets bigger. I know that I could easily fix it with revision of previous CDs, but I'm too lazy to do it that way.
Another way exist and it's called practice. I could've tried that, but my vocabulary is very weak and I'm simply forgetting about my memrise course 1000 words of elementary German. Why can't I do them both I do not know. Laziness reingns in my mind...
After finishing that CD7 I started to think of what I achieved, what I understood. So far German tense system seems pretty clear and easy: past-now-future. No thoughts like "И в каком времени мне надо им объяснить, что я их знакомого сто лет не видела?!". Of course there are hundreds guides about that, my personal favourite is that (Dreams and routine of worm's life), but that's not normal. I used to flow with that times after some courses, why it can't stuck in my mind after intense study?
But if tense system in German is really that simple, there should be some other tussocks. I hope that I'll understand that handles and "zu" cases eventually, but I'm already totally scared of German syntax.
Back to Russian - I'd be extremely happy if some foreigner will say something like that: "Да к чертям вы все идите, я и без вас знаю, что мне делать!" and if in the same time he would understand that he could say: "Да идите вы все к чертям, я знаю и без вас, что мне делать!" and if he know that both versions are right. I think that rates and levels in case of some languages are important at work or for documents, but not in real life. If syntax allowes you to play with words and you know how to do it - it's a road to art, to something bigger than routine and daily conversations.
I'm still thinking that some playing with English syntax is possible, I just need to know language better. But when I'm looking at German sentences, I'm starting to afraid that there will be no freedom, only strict rules.
But, as Russian proverb says, "глаза боятся, а руки делают" (you never know what you can do till you try).

And another piece of German writing to sum all up (Google Almighty Translate is on):
Ich weiß nicht was ich tun kann. Ich sollte mehr probieren weil es nur Weg alles tun ist. Die Sprache es immer schwierig aber wir können es leichter machen. Ich will es tun so ich werde probieren es zu tun.

Music while typing: Amends album of The Fall of Every Season (really sounds like Opeth, as I read in recommendation!)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 40 of 812
20 August 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
20th of August
I'm in very mixed feelings now. CD8 is the last of Foundation course, and I do not know what am I to do next. Naturally, I should review it with Foundation Review course and then go to Advanced, but I'm not sure at all if I really should do so. I wish I could read something but I'm totally confident that I'll fail it due to my small and weak vocabulary and lack of grammar knowlenge.
No, seriously, am I supposed to read something after Michel Thomas' courses if he tells us about genders in the very end of Foundation course? We are moving fast, but it all is to create and improve speaking skills. I mention my goals in the beginning of this log: I want to read and translate first. In the course of last months situation is changing, I won't be against a trip to Germany or Austria, but I still prefer reading/translating to anything else.
Anyway, something got me in second try and made me listen to that course, but that something might push me away as well.
However, there is some straw for me. I'm talking about the script of the course. Instead of using my not very good hearing and Google Almighty Translate I could've just look into the script, it is very thorough:

With that amount of material I shall not be pushed out. I think tomorrow I'll take a day off and give it to vocabulary and, probably, LR (Harry Potter wartet auf mich) and then go further with Michel Thomas.
And what a shame that there is no course from Russian to English with this method! Today I managed to hear something new for me in English from CD8, and I already have forgotten what it was.
Below is screenshot from site which was undeservedly abandoned by me:

Numbers are understandable without translation - these are amounts of words to learn, most of them are unknown to me. How am I supposed to learn German if I'm still bad in English which I'm trying to use as basic language?

Well, I honestly warned you - my feelings are mess and there is no real hope for some improvement :)

Music while typing: Алиса - Ко мне

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version