Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 41 of 812
20 August 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Алиса! <3 One of the few words/names I can recognize ...

Via Diva wrote:
Instead of using my not very good hearing and Google Almighty Translate I could've just look into the script, it is very thorough:

In such situations I try to think 'oh well, at least I practiced my hearing skills a bit more'.

As for using English as a source language for a third language ... I did that, and I still do it. When I started using English as a source language for Japanese, my level might have been about the same as yours. (It's still far from perfect, but usable in most situations. I won't complain.) For me, it worked. It also was very slow and often made me feel like I was going crazy. But that's probably my own fault for giving up and switching methods too frequently :D

But I think you might benefit from using a German course with Russian as a source language to accompany your English based courses. Even if it's not a very good course, it may teach you bits of German that are more difficult for you as a Russian speaker than they are for the average English speaker. And it might show you how much there is you already know, so you can feel really clever. At least that's how I use German based courses. :D

Edited by Bao on 20 August 2013 at 1:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 42 of 812
20 August 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Bao, indeed, it's the easiest way to get something good from these situation :) But German is easier for me to hear anyway. Right now I'm rewatching "Das Leben der Anderen" with English subs and I can easily hear some common words and understand them without any help.
And I'm that crazy one who keeps switching methods too, hehe. Plus I have plenty of unused ones downloaded on my netbook, so there is no problem with materials, thanks to Russian pirate society :)
Thank you for the advice about using Ru-based courses. Well, I didn't think that I'll manage without them anyway, but your recommendation could've become another kick for my learning, hehe :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 43 of 812
21 August 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
21th of August
All went even worse than I thought... or better? I took a day off from Michel Thomas, but I didn't do any LR or vocabulary expanding.
I don't remember if I mentioned that before, but I'm a die hard F1 fan. I started in 2009 and never missed a race since. So, in this weekend there will be race after 4-week pause. That pause also called "Silly Season" because of really silly rumors, usually discussing in that time. So, I as Formula 1 amatuer blogger, had to write post about that pause and rumors. I did that yesterday. People were reading that and one of comments was asking me to pick up one quite popular blog. We're in Russia are big ice hockey fans. I was too, but now I'm more of a F1 fan. But that comment did catch me. Very popular blog (more tham 1500 readers comparing to less than 200 in my F1 blog) and interesting topic - tweets of NHL players. So, my task is to pick tweets and translate them into Russian.
That work took almost 6 hours (with pauses, of couse), but it was worth, I can say it already. But, of course, I got tired. I thought about movie (Die Tür, 2009) but I had to give it up.
So, we have day of more intense English that usual, but no German at all. Well, I do not know if it's bad or good, but it is something anyway. Not that I planned, but I have no regrets now and I doubt that I'll have them later.

Music while typing - Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany

Edited by Via Diva on 21 August 2013 at 5:24pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 44 of 812
22 August 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
22th of August
No Michel Thomas. No learned words yet. But another translation En-Ru and "Die Tür" movie (German sound + Eng subs).
I like the movie and I love German sounding so much that I have to ask for your advices.
Here's the list of pretty much all movies that I saw http://www.kinopoisk.ru/user/1474507/votes/ The site is Russian, but it's quite easy to navigate and all non-Russian movies have original titles right in there.
English subs are required, but I can check that by myself.
Hope to get some recommendations.

I have checked one course of German that I have - Easy Deutsch from Oxford Educational. Russian there sounds rather harsh, I could notice it only with two barely read lessons, so, I suppose, it was just translation. Whatever it is, that is not for me. I saw all good comments, but it's just not for me. These courses only seem to be easy, but when you come to real action, there is always problems.
Anyway, apparenly I'll have to delete that when I'll be in need for disk space.
I think next one to be checked would be Assimil. Maybe I'm already prejudiced because of Thomas' method, but I still can try, can't I? :)

Music while typing: Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

Edited by Via Diva on 22 August 2013 at 5:17pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 45 of 812
23 August 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
23th of August
It seems that I've reached my usual state of mind: I want to know something, but I don't want to do anything.
To be more concrete: no German yet again.
Well, I've tried Assimil yesterday evening. So slow that it really annoying, but also useful. I think that around 50% was new. I listened to four lessons, watched the text, but didn't read anything out loud. Maybe I'll do just the same thing today evening (very late evening, hehe).
Not that it's dufficult for me to continue study. It's simple laziness. Lack of determination. My desire to learn German only becoming stronger, and this is my only hope. If desire will lose to laziness there will be only English. It would be sad, but practical, considering that I have only one semester of English further. After exams it'll be easier to deal with two languages at one time.
P.S. I'm still waiting for any German-languaged movie recommedations. I may not watch them immediately due to Formula 1 weekend, but I'll take notes anyway.

No music while typing, but it could be: Opeth - Moonlapse Vertigo

Edited by Via Diva on 23 August 2013 at 5:09pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 46 of 812
23 August 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Take a break. Watch stupid videos. Look at things that make you want to understand, to get the joke. Find things that make you immensely proud of yourself. And don't be too harsh on yourself. And then you'll be fine. The first six months, I gave up on Japanese about every single day. Until I realized that I always returned to it the next day, and that maybe I should think of it as getting some rest, rather than giving up. :P

I don't know any German movies )= there won't be any subtitles, but maybe you can watch some Formel 1 on youtube to get into the mood?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4020 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 47 of 812
23 August 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I don't know any German movies )= there won't be any subtitles, but maybe you can watch some Formel 1 on youtube to get into the mood?

You do not know German movies? Seriously? However... well, I do not know much Russian movies either :D
That's an interesting idea! But there could be problems, 'cause I can't find races from 2009 (the year when I started), but I could do two things at one time: listen to language (even without much of understanding) and discovering history of F1 (hehe).
Vielen Dank! :)

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 48 of 812
23 August 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Haha I have a serious case of not being able to sit through movies. The only German production I remember not only watching completely, but even several times, was an episode of the TV crime series Sperling, called Sperling und die Angst vor dem Schmerz.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version