Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 ... 101 102 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 585 of 812
03 October 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Aww interesting. I'm more familiar with MBTI (INFP), but my friend who's into socionics thinks I'm either INFJ or INTJ.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 586 of 812
07 October 2014 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't take socionics way too seriously, but I think it's serious enough to prove that we can be different people depending on a language we use. Maaaybe...

Chris13
Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3832 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 587 of 812
08 October 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but you might also like "The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer. If so you'll have an enormous amount of works to read with Shakespeare and Chaucer.

I'd actually quite like to hear someone speaking in old/middle English, it would certainly be an interesting conversation to hear. Good luck with your ventures :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 588 of 812
10 October 2014 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
I definitely will check it, thanks!
______
And it appears like I'm more interested in Middle English after all, so I shall not mix the terms anymore.
______
This isn't exactly how I wanted to speak in poems, plus I've used some rhymezone, but still:

I fall asleep and you're not here
You weren't here ever, though
I wonder if you can try and hear
What makes my life so very rough

To live with many expectations
Is to be disappointed in all
But how to set some limitations
If you despise your every fall

I live and breathe so freely that I
Am suffocating from my freedom
I need someone just to rely
On. So where he is, my demon?

I want to stand up and just go
For I cannot sit here anymore
But sleep won't let me flow
On my way to someone I adore
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 589 of 812
15 October 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I went to "Gone Girl" movie last Sunday, and I liked it quite much. That was enough to get interested in the novel, plus I don't think that ending was clear. Since I am busy with everything but languages (if to forget how I was covering Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix in my Twitter), I would have preferred to have Russian translation, but it was blocked on the site I usually use to find books. I was too lazy to continue searching, so I just took the original version - yup, it wasn't blocked. This happened on Monday, and considering that I have quite busy days, coming home in the evening yesterday and today, I have managed to read 35%.
Fortunately, the book is easy enough for me, which allows me to read that fast.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 590 of 812
21 October 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Finished "Gone Girl", considering that I almost didn't read yesterday and swallowed a lot today. The style is easy to read and I plan to read "Sharp Objects" now, but won't guarantee that I can keep that up though.
Also signed up for 6WC with Italian. It's pure insanity, I guess, I will spend more time searching materials than actually studying, but why not? That's a way of checking if I am interested in the language or not.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 591 of 812
23 October 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
While "Sharp Objects" slowly moves on, the uni becomes unbearable and Tool dominates in my playlist, life goes on anyway. So when trying to get home late (ok, around 19:00-20:00) me and a fellow student of mine ended up talking about languages. She said she "despises" some languages, and I offered her to take a look at Greek. As you may know, our subjects are full of various Greek letters and, surely, it's a little bit hard to imagine that they could be used as actual letters, becoming words. I used my arsenal and showed the similarity of letters (ΣΑΛΑΤΑ), told about nasty letters δ and θ, explained the phrases εγω θέλω ένα τσαι, εγω θέλω ένα σάντουιτς, mentioning articles and usage on pronouns. She was interested (for an average "I speak a little English" student here), but, ya know, ya gotta go further. I opened Google Translate and began looking up words. Reactions:

milk - γάλα - hahahaha, why so alien?
a school - ένα σχολείο - how to pronounce it, dammit?
a university - ένα πανεπιστήμιο - hahahahaha... we study in éna panepistí̱mio, hahaha
a teacher - ένας δάσκαλος - oh, and why there's a different article? haha
We nearly ran out of ideas, and suddenly she asked to translate "surface tension". My first reaction was "I don't even know how to say it in English", but it didn't take me long to remember:
surface tension - επιφανειακή τάση - haahahahahaha, let's come to our *scary teacher's last name* and tell her we study epifaneiakí̱ tási̱!
inner energy - εσωτερική ενέργεια - ... ha ha ha
We actually ran out of time by that moment.

So, it's not November yet, and I already doubt if Italian was a better choice than Greek.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 592 of 812
23 October 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Well, you can always unregister and sign up with Greek instead. Although Italian is cool too (cooler for me). You can use Ilya Frank's method, especially if you've read Pinocchio as a kid. I also love "итальянский - это не страшно" =)

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version