Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 89 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 705 of 812
21 May 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I guess this book could have done the same with me haven't I been so very disciplined during the last few weeks (6WC makes wonders).
And thanks, my French would definitely require lots of luck. Also lots of patience, hehehehe.
_______
ENG: I know what's terribly wrong with my Dr Who marathon, or, to be precise, with the way I watch with English audio only. I seem to be simply ignoring the stuff I find too hard, not even trying to comprehend it. It's the way it is because I have
seen these episodes before, I don't really need to follow the plot too closely. Obviously I need to start something new then. Or I should simply rewatch bits over and over again. Now, I love Dr Who, and I especially love the 10th Doctor, which whom I
am currently stuck, but, err... it still doesn't look like the best plan for me.
But right now I'am afraid that would be just a bit too much. And, frankly, the situation isn't gonna get easier in next two months just as well.
DEU: Alles ist okay.
FRA: Encore assez agaçant.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 706 of 812
22 May 2015 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Seeing how do I cheat with English while watching Doctor Who, I just decided to watch the next episode in German. I don't even see much of a difference. A logical conclusion is that my English listening comprehension is as bad as is the one I have in German.
Or, as optimist would put it, my German listening skills are as good as the English ones.
But we shall shut these both up, who can make such a conclusion after one episode that I have seen before 2-3 times?

French gradually stops being so annoying. Before a test yesterday (if you can call drawing in AutoCAD a test) I almost covered a short book on French phonetics. Nasalized vowels are evil. I read "direct the air through both your mouth and nose". How?!
Ah, I talk like I care about that. But why would I?

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 707 of 812
24 May 2015 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Aaand I am back writing fanfiction. Bad, bad, bad idea. Can't help it though.
(bad because I just stop doing it all of a sudden. And because it's not particularly good, never
as good as I want it to be, even in Russian)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 708 of 812
24 May 2015 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
French gradually stops being so annoying. Before a test yesterday (if you can call drawing in AutoCAD a test) I almost covered a short book on French phonetics. Nasalized vowels are evil. I read "direct the air through both your mouth and nose". How?!

The best technique I found was actually in the Brazilian edition of "language is music". It pointed out that Brazilians often nasalize random vowels while speaking English, Spanish etc, and that to unlearn this it's recommended to practice with a fingertip on your nose. If you feel vibration, you're passing air through the nose.

My first Portuguese textbook just recommended to pronounce mmmmmmma and then kinda stretch the a. LOL, I used to hate nasal vowels so much but now I love them in Portuguese and Polish. But I still hate them in French haha.

Also, one book on Romance philology pointed out that in colloquial speech we may say наприęр with a nasal e instead of например. That's pretty much how modern Romance languages developed nasal vowels where Latin had m or n.

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2015 at 8:16am

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 709 of 812
24 May 2015 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Hehe, I should try that one day when I am motivated enough. I have actually watched a video about that yesterday, learned than one of the three vowels that French has isn't used
much anymore, and overall it didn't look all too difficult, but I couldn't practice, it was too late to utter anything, haha.
Right now I think that it's easier to just get a cold and try to figure out what exactly do you do different while speaking to get this nasalised sound :D

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 710 of 812
26 May 2015 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Starting French, not dropping German, reading books in German and English, writing fanfics in English and waiting for that bloody Esperanto course.

If anyone is curious about the fanfic, proceed to page 1. The beginning is boring, alight, but the stuff I am gonna write next is going to blow up nerd's minds. Hopefully. Stay tuned.
(unless I drop this because English is really too hard a language to write fanfics in so far. I thought having this log for two years would help, but nope, it's hardly enough)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4012 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 711 of 812
26 May 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Quite a productive day from the point of English. While I was up at midnight to write more of my fanfic, I haven't finished the chapter and had to do it during the day (and it's uploaded already, yup). I have also finished American Gods and now I have to
pick the next book, and Anansi Boys seems to be the right choice :)
I am completely unsatisfied with my listening though. Dr Who sounds like a complete disaster, it doesn't even matter if I watch it in headphones or listening to the speakers, I just miss the whole episodes, the whole dialogues and I can't even begin grasping the
things I miss. Something can be understood from the context, something I could've remembered. I don't understand how can it get worse, I have been watching stuff quite consistently. For example, I don't miss much when watching F1, mostly I just can't hear team
radio, which is understandable given its quality.
But there's no point in wondering, I just have to fight my way through this wall of "I can't hear what are you saying". Just don't know how to do it in the most efficient way.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 712 of 812
26 May 2015 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I can't hear what you are saying*

American Gods is great. Good choice.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version