Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 97 ... 101 102 Next >>
Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 769 of 812
26 June 2015 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Well I was being sarcastic, of course. It's just that native speakers who can deal with articles because they have them never quite understand the pain it brings to non-natives who don't have anything like it. it's not even about the rules, it's about rewiring
your brain and thinking whether an object is one of many, or well-known etc. This is something we just never do.
___
I had to brag about the languages I know today.
Right after the exam (which I passed all right, in case someone was worried about that) I was to go to the place where I am going to have a 4-week internship. There was no need to show my CV (in which I included English and German) again, but I had to write
about my languages abilities. So I wrote: English (fluent), German (intermediate).
I am a terrible liar.
I mean, come on.
The time suggests I am in the intermediate stage. But then again there are some beginner's stuff I miss.
Hopefully I won't need German in the ecology group of the waste/ wastewater treatment department.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4308 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 770 of 812
26 June 2015 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
You are able to write lengthy blog posts. If that's not at least intermediate, what
else would it be? I think having gaps according to some standard checklists is normal
if you don't follow the traditional procedure. I actually still have some beginner
gaps in Swedish. It's just different priorities...

On the article thing:
I recently got aware that Slovene has definite adjective forms, at least in the male
form, even though it doesn't use articles. Any such thing in Russian?

Edited by daegga on 26 June 2015 at 12:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 771 of 812
26 June 2015 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
My CV looks like that, too. French is down as fluent, Swedish as intermediate...
hopefully they won't look to closely or ask to see proof...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 772 of 812
26 June 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
daegga, I do need someone to feed my ego because I can't do it on my own :)
Very interesting thing about Slovene adjectives. On one hand, I really can't think of anything like it in Russian, we just end up using this or that to introduce the concept of something definite. I managed to find a thesis in Russian about Latvian adjectives (they seem to have just the same forms as Slovenian), when its author translates two sentences with two different forms of one adjective from Lithanian, she makes no distinction (check in the middle of the page 10). So no, we don't really have that.
However, I also found an article about Serbian, which not only claims that Serbian has definite/indefinite adjectives too, but also compares them to short and long Russian adjectives respectfully. Something about long Russian adjectives also mentioned here and I admit I find this article somewhat hard to understand (a long day today, plus some insufficient English), but from what I see, long forms of adjectives are considered to be definite.
Personally I don't see any definite/indefinite element in short and long Russian adjectives. However... there might be a hint of it in the short form, maybe?
I did a search, found found this book and it states that the short forms in Old Russian indicated indefinite objects, long - definite.

Ok, I give up, this is a mess.

Elenia, nah, I guess it's not important if you don't have to work with languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 773 of 812
28 June 2015 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
quoting German Wikipedia:
Quote:
Dariā (persisch ‏دريا‎) ist die weibliche Form des Vornamens Darius und bedeutet so viel wie „Das Gute besitzend“ bzw. „Die Inhaberin des Guten“. Daria
heißt aber auch „die Mächtige“, „die Wissende“ und die „Beschützerin“. Auf Persisch bedeutet er „Meer“ oder „Blauer Ozean“. In Europa hat der Name vermutlich
als Kurzform des griechischen „Dorothea“ („Geschenk Gottes“) Verbreitung gefunden. Darauf weist etwa die Bedeutung „Geschenk“ im Slowenischen.

I had not a slightest idea about yet another weirdness of Slovene :D
But I actually seem to be the opposite of any meaning written here. I live far too away from any sea, I don't happen to possess many good and I am definitely
not a gift.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 774 of 812
28 June 2015 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed your blog post in German. Understanding boosted my ego, thanks ;-)
But really, you are at least intermediate. Checklists are a good thing but you don't need to check all the points to be at a particular levels. And beginner gaps tend to stick with learners for a long time but they tend to be not that hard to bridge once you identify them. Heh, the identification sometimes takes ages.

And what did you write in your CV about the rest of your languages? :-)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 775 of 812
28 June 2015 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Ah, good. I think you could also see some mistakes (this is usually easier with something
written by another person, in my experience) ;)
Yeah I guess I just shouldn't think about levels too much.

Well, in the blank at the organisation was only the place for two, and I didn't mention
anything but German and English in my CV because I don't think that my kind of wanderlust
is impressive :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 776 of 812
01 July 2015 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
English: lots of communicating, finished House of Cards
German: finished House of Cards (except two last episodes which didn't have subs in German), gave up of Er ist wieder da, started Herr aller Dinge by Andreas Eschbach (original book plus original audio)
French: forgot how to conjugate avoir (an eloquent way of saying "nothing")
Eh, shame on me.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version