Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 2
24 April 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered a great book called "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day". So surprising to realize it was written in 1910! Everything I've read so far is still relevant in modern life. I found this book on DailyLit, simply because I wanted to read something in English to get used to the site.

It can also be read in its entirety on Project Gutenberg.

edit: it's not specifically about learning languages, but it's for people who are "not satisfied with living to work and working to live" and want more than that from life.

Edited by Serpent on 24 April 2013 at 1:21pm

13 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 2
30 April 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I still like it a lot, but I now see that as usual, females should keep in mind that it was written by a man, during a time very different from ours too.

When shall this important business be accomplished? The solitude of the evening journey home appears to me to be suitable for it. A reflective mood naturally follows the exertion of having earned the day's living. Of course if, instead of attending to an elementary and profoundly important duty, you prefer to read the paper (which you might just as well read while waiting for your dinner) I have nothing to say. But attend to it at some time of the day you must.

Congrats dude, you've discovered how your hormones work!
For a woman, though, the best time for this is the period. The time of the day is less important. But of course if it's a bit taboo even now, I understand that he couldn't have written about that even if he realized.
Still, the similarity to how Miranda Gray described the reflective phase is striking. Yes, for a man it's a mood but for a woman it's a phase. And it's much better to embrace this phase than to fight.

PS Thank you everyone who voted for the post :)

Edited by Serpent on 30 April 2013 at 6:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version