United States
Joined 5760 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 17 of 20
06 May 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Regarding keeping languages separate in your head:

In my head I kind of build a separate structure for each language. For languages that are
unrelated to one another, this is pretty much automatic. But for closely related
languages, I find that it requires some more thought. In those cases I find it necessary
to integrate into a structure the history and geography of the language. The point is to
make each language entirely distinct in your head.
1 person has voted this message useful

bystander87
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4026 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 18 of 20
08 May 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Maybe you'd be interested in looking at my blog where I write reviews of the books I read and movies/series I watch and also try to add some thoughts on how they relate to Korean culture.

Thanks, good blog. It's always helpful to know people's personal experience.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4333 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 20
08 May 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
bystander87 wrote:

I'm going to try Korean, Japanese, or Mandarin Chinese. It's unlikely that learning one of these will be of any practical use to me. I'm interested in language itself and literature.

Interesting question!

I guess you could have a look at translations of the literatures from these different countries and see what you like before plunging in.

South Korea just seems too small a nation to compete in literature with either China or Japan (North Korea too!). So I would go with one of those. You don't mention film, but both these cultures have very rich film traditions.

China seems like it would have a more edgy culture, if not now, sometime in the nearish future so I would probably consider Mandarin over Japanese, but it would be very difficult decision.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4468 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 20 of 20
08 May 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Most of older Chinese literature is now available in modern standard Mandarin, written in simplified characters.

Edited by Medulin on 08 May 2013 at 11:02pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version