Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 5
01 May 2013 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
What is the absolute fastest, most convenient and efficient, best way of inputting kanji into a computer? My method relies on frequent computer dictionary look-ups and this works well for other languages, but I find inputting unknown kanji takes more time and effort than I wish, and wonder if there is a better way. There is the IME Pad, but drawing kanji with a mouse is very uncomfortable and time consuming. Would this help? What other options are there?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
01 May 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I actually have a graphics tablet, it works - and I don't use it for writing kanji. What I do is that I cheat my way around readings - I usually know at least one reading for almost all 常用漢字 and when I don't know the one in question I enter a word that uses that kanji, and cobble together the word I wanted to look up. For example, if I didn't know 常用 I might enter 日常 にちじょう and 用いる もちいる. Even though I sometimes need to use radical lookup or the IME pad, it's faster for me than constantly switching between keyboard and graphics tablet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 3 of 5
04 May 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Bao. I use the "cheating method" as well, but for reading you need many more than the jouyou kanji, and each new kanji you meet reappears less frequently as well, making learning their readings a challenge. Thus I would like to find a sure method of looking up any unknown word I might encounter in a comfortable and expeditious way.

No one else looks up or inputs unknown kanji on their computers?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 5
04 May 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Are you sure that such material isn't slightly too complicated to deal with? It's not that hard to switch to radical lookup in an IME or a kanji dictionary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 5 of 5
04 May 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
I look up between 20 and 30 unknown words on average per hour of study, so finding the best method of inputting kanji makes a big difference to me. Drawing kanji with a pen or brush on paper is not too bad and can in fact be fun, but using the mouse is as uncomfortable as can be. Has anyone used one of these?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version