Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 1 of 9
01 May 2013 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Let's say for example I'm watching a movie and come across a word that, even after 3-5 rewinds, I cannot understand. I try a few more times in slow motion, and still nothing.

What should I do in this situation? What do you do?

Do you keep going until you finally understand it? Do you let it go?

What about sentences? "j'sais pas c'que je f'rais sans c' boulot" How do you guys learn this sort of stuff?

I really hate the idea of not understanding something right in front of me.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 01 May 2013 at 3:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 9
01 May 2013 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
ask a native speaker. you can cut out a tiny fragment of the movie and post it somewhere, for example. or find the subtitles/closed captions.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4941 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 3 of 9
01 May 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
In the situation described by you - where you already made some effort to catch the phrase -, I would just let it go. I wouldn't want to waste my time researching some tiny sentence fragment. There are many reasons why something doesn't click at this point in time, and, given continued exposure to the language, it is almost certain that there will be a point later in time where it becomes clear, just by itself. That is at least my experience. The time you spend on researching that particular phrase, e.g. by looking for subtitles or taking it to a native speaker, is much better spent on other comprehensible input, output or study activities. A single word or phrase is almost never relevant for your progress in language learning.

Generally, I think the desire to understand everything 100% is quite counter-productive. In my opinion and experience, it is much better to go with the flow. Take in what you're ready for and let go what you're not ready for. Stay engaged, stay in the present moment.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 9
01 May 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
agreed, i'd only do this for something that was really bothering me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 9
01 May 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I have a habit of saving things like this and coming back to them weeks later. Usually I end up understanding them, or at least understanding a lot more of them.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
01 May 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Let's say for example I'm watching a movie and come across a word that, even after 3-5 rewinds, I cannot understand. I try a few more times in slow motion, and still nothing.

What should I do in this situation? What do you do?

For me, extensive watching is about turning "just barely comprehensible" input into "I could understand in my sleep" input. My effort is limited to (1) paying close attention or (2) rewinding a couple of times. If I rewind too much, my wife gets bored, so sometimes I'll ask her to repeat something. But usually I just let it go.

If I want to do intensive listening exercises, I'll take a DVD with accurate bilingual subtitles and feed it through subs2srs. Then I'll delete all the cards which are too easy, too hard or too boring. This certainly helped, but it was cutting into my reading and TV time, so I cut way back on this and all other Anki activities for a while.

Despite the (temporary) lack of intensive listening activities, my listening comprehension has continued to improve. Apparently, I can make real progress just by taking the L+1 input and solidifying it, and letting the L+5 input go for now.

Edited by emk on 01 May 2013 at 2:09pm

maucca
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4462 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 7 of 9
01 May 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
"Le Grand Robert de la langue française" has a phonetic wildcard search which has often been helpful to me in these situations. It's not a miracle worker, but with several youtube videos, it has enabled me to make sense of spoken texts well above my current level.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 9
01 May 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Insofar as you are going to continue your study of the language, anything you don't understand now is something you will understand later. I just move on.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version