Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3988 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 105 of 116
31 December 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
What an awful team member and TAC participant I have been in the past six months…what a bad language student I have been as well....

My non-language-related projects (there were many, and there still are) have drained all my energy over the past months, leaving me with as many loose ends as twelve months ago, and with less progress than I had hoped for. I still have to return to Germany each weekend and renew this empty house, which only leaves four nights per week in Belgium, and this is usually used for household stuff and my dog. I am so fed up with this and sincerely hope this period is over soon. My battery is totally low, and I have to fight my disappointment over my lack of progress by trying to convince myself that really my expectations one year ago were just far to high.

For next year, I decide that success is already given if I have managed to live healthy. Any progress with French will be a bonus.

Ok, here’s my wrap up of my achievements over 2014, with an overview of my current status and plans for the new year. Since I haven’t documented any activity since early June, this is going to be lengthy, so I am going to split this in a few entries.

1 person has voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3988 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 106 of 116
31 December 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Reading:

I am doing the Super Challenge, and have managed to read 52 book units so far (corresponding to 9 ‚real‘ books). The books I have read can be summarized to children’s literature (e.g. Harry Potter, Astrid Lindgren), crime (e.g. Agatha Christie, Tess Gerritsen) and Sci Fi (e.g. Dr Who). I have updated my reading list in post #88.

My intention was to have a mix of easy and more advanced literature. In the context of this nice mini challenge in June I did some stats, but never published them *sigh* Therefore, here we go:

Ronya, fille de brigand (Astrid Lindgren):
- 130 words per minute (one-hour average)
- 1.3 % unknown words (10 pages average)

Poirot joue le jeu (Agatha Christie)
- 100 words per minute (one-hour average)
- 1.2 % unknown words (5 pages average)

I found quite surprising that the children‘s book contained as much new vocabulary as the Agatha Christie novel. I found that confirmed when reading Harry Potter. I have difficulties to relate this to the increased reading speed. I assume that this is either linked to the simplicity of the grammar, or really more to the content itself (I had more fun reading Ronya than Hercule Poirot). Furthermore, probably this does not mean that the children’s book is as rich in vocabulary as more grown-up literature, but the story setting in the woods required more specialized vocabulary (e.g. specific animals or trees). And, finally, this might just be a non-representative coincidence (that nevertheless deserves further attention).

Anyway: I found I can master „normal“ best-sellers easily, like Tess Gerritsen or Robert Harris. I did hit a wall when having a go on Terry Pratchett though. I remember this had also been the case during school time, when I tried my first Discworld novels in English. This might be due to a combination of a both rich and specialized idiolect, the inclusion of invented words, and not really straightforward story arcs. I gave up after somewhat 50 pages and am saving this one for later.

One might also notice the lack of native literature in my reading list. Somehow I am a bit afraid on that, but have got myself a handful of second-hand Maigret detective stories and might try out that later in 2015.

I had planned to have two books on-going simultaneously – one for extensive reading (with words only to be looked up if really needed), and one for intensive reading (carefully looking up every unknown word and adding both vocabulary and phrases into Anki). This worked well for me, until I lost my Harry Potter II (which was the intensive reading bit). I haven’t found it yet back, but am planning to continue when it turns up again :-)

Overall the reading was very enjoyable and relaxing. I haven’t noticed significant progress in my French from that, but have learned 681 new words via Anki in 2014. With round 2600 pages read in just four active months, I am confident to complete at least the „100 books“ in 2014 with ease. I am a happy new library member in my local town, and my book shelves are getting more and more crowded. Tess Gerritsen‘s Rizzoli and Isles series might become a new favourite.

EDIT 1.1.2015: typo corrected

Edited by Suzie on 01 January 2015 at 9:03am

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3988 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 107 of 116
31 December 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Listening

Also in the context of the Super Challenge, I watched some dubbed US series (e.g. Bones, Eureka, Glee), adding up to 3960 minutes (44 „films“). Also this list is updated in post #88. I believe my overall comprehension (also when listening to discussions at work) has increased from round 50% to somewhat 80% in 2014. I noticed significant differences between the TV shows – I felt a strong need for subs and rewinds for Bones, but felt confident to switch off the subtitles for Eureka and Glee after a while.

With huge respect and quite some fear I have started to listen to audiobooks as well on my long rides on the highway across the border each week. ‚Le petit Nicolas‘ went surprisingly well. Harry Potter II was a nightmare. Dan Brown’s ‚Da Vinci Code‘, however, is going absolutely fine. I have not yet finished those latter two, but am surprised and utmost happy to have this unexpected success. However, it needs saying that I had known all three books very well before listening to them. And obviously the comprehension is very depending on the reader. My difficulties with Harry Potter are mostly caused by things like Ron having a lisp and Mrs Weasley an ear-frying high-pitched voice.

Again, having completed nearly half of one Super Challenge, I am confident to complete at least the 100 films within the next twelve months.

Speaking and Writing

Nothing worth to document, I do not believe there was significant progress. Shame on me. Feeling swamped with all those projects going on in my life, I did not dare this challenge. You might be surprised how little interaction with natives is required when you are supposed to live in an immersion environment :-( When the project in Germany is over, and I am able to spend actually some spare time here in Belgium, we can re-discuss….

Dutch

I read one book and had a short conversation. Yeah :-)

EDIT 1.1.2015: typo corrected

Edited by Suzie on 01 January 2015 at 9:04am

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3988 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 108 of 116
31 December 2014 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Overall conclusions and targets for 2015

French:
My goal to improve to C1 was an epic fail. With regard to my active skills, I might not even have left B1….Anyway, some progress is made, especially for listening skills, and I hope for some hidden improvements through extensive reading and listening.

My goals are more humble for 2015:
-     Complete the Super Challenge. Single is a must, double is nice.
-     Do not forget my Anki desk
-     Finish up my language calendar with mini-lessons.

Dutch:

My goal was to have a proper conversation. I had one beginning of January :-) The book (De tweeling) was a very nice add-on, but totally distracted me from my French studies. I am still considering to do some Dutch reading and listening in the context of the Super Challenge, but only if I feel like, if French goes well, and not with ‚star‘ ambitions.

Considering my fail in 2014, I will not participate in TAC 2015, but am looking forward to TAC 2015 instead.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 109 of 116
31 December 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Don't be so hard on yourself. As you said, your goals were probably too high. But looking
at what you've done, it's not bad at all!

Even if you don't do much with the team, we'd welcome visits to the French team thread,
whenever it's ready.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3766 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 110 of 116
01 January 2015 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I agree with Jeffers! Don't be hard on yourself! Through it all, you have kept on track with the Super
Challenge which is a major accomplishment in my mind!

Best of luck for a great 2015!

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3988 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 111 of 116
01 January 2015 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks both, that's very kind. And I'll be happy to visit the French team thread as well (and your logs anyway). It just feels better to do this without any pressure. There was a tiny voice in my stomach last year telling me better not to sign up for TAC 2014. Nevertheless, I found it really fun and do not regret having experienced this. I liked our small team very much!

As said - 2016 again, and then properly!

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 112 of 116
14 January 2015 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Hey Suzie,

Sounds like you've had a hard time in recent months. I hope 2015 with pressure off (no TAC) and other things
going your way that you exceed your expectations. I'm going to follow along with your log this year not just
because of French but Dutch too! I hope you're keeping well :)

PM

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version