Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4010 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 113 of 116
15 January 2015 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
Hi PM, thanks for stopping by! Indeed I am tending to drown in self-pity...however, when comparing to what YOU are achieving (with an infant and shift work!) - I am...just speechless....WOW.

The year has started nicely. Partly because I am already taking a huge bulk of this year's annual vacation in January...:-) I have watched a complete season of Grey's Anatomy and started a new book (Preston Child: Cauchemar génétique). In addition, I did some mini-lessons and have learned 100 new words.

The Super Challenge fits nicely into my daily routine, since it is leisure rather than work. As long as the house renewal is still on my plate, I have decided to be happy and satisfied with this. When all this is done, intense activities (course work, tutored conversations, Lang-8 purges) will then hopefully give the final push to my French, to make me "fully operational". One day :-)

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 114 of 116
15 January 2015 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
Hi PM, thanks for stopping by! Indeed I am tending to drown in self-pity...however, when
comparing to what YOU are achieving (with an infant and shift work!) - I am...just speechless....WOW.

The year has started nicely. Partly because I am already taking a huge bulk of this year's annual vacation in
January...:-) I have watched a complete season of Grey's Anatomy and started a new book (Preston Child:
Cauchemar génétique). In addition, I did some mini-lessons and have learned 100 new words.

The Super Challenge fits nicely into my daily routine, since it is leisure rather than work. As long as the house
renewal is still on my plate, I have decided to be happy and satisfied with this. When all this is done, intense
activities (course work, tutored conversations, Lang-8 purges) will then hopefully give the final push to my
French, to make me "fully operational". One day :-)

Glad to hear you're off to a good start! Where in Belgium are you? I keep asking this of participants overseas
as I'm always curious and I know Belgium a little in your case.

Btw to provide some clarity.. I'm a shift worker but 9 out of ten times i work in the afternoon through to
evening (sometimes I don't start work until 3.30pm). I purposely request this so that I can study during the
morning. I cannot study very well at all in the afternoon/evening if I work a morning shift as my willpower and
intellectual focus reduces by around 70%. I despise studying later in the day (although watching sth in
French, audio during commute home or some light reading are all ok- coursework in the evening=a major
push just to start it).

My wife is great with our daughter and she's still off work. She will return soonish, so my study hours might
take a dive. Currently I'm able to spend time with my daughter in the middle of the day, but I have certainly
felt guilty on more than a few occasions of not being involved enough due to my French obsession occurring
later in day as ive gone to sleep too late the night before , so I've got to be mindful and balance things well as
she's only this young once :) and I will get there with my French eventually. Perhaps over-sharing there...
Thanks heaps for the compliments :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4010 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 115 of 116
17 January 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi PM, I can totally relate to the importance to adapt to one's individual biorhythm (I a similar to you - thinking works better in the morning than in the afternoon or evening, but when it comes to physical activity, I am not really a morning person. My brain activity peaking during office time - that is great for my employer, less great so for my after-work French studies :-)

And I do agree that it is always difficult to manage family time, work and personal interests. A few years ago I did face a similar problem - not with a fast-growing child, but with my father (Somehow noone had come over and offered him the Philosopher’s Stone to grant eternal life). At that time, I had a very travel-intense and demanding full-time job, and I studied during nights to get the job of my dreams one day. I took a very daring and risky decision, which was critized by most of my friends - I quit my job and spent one wonderful year with my father and my studies. Looking back, this was the perfect thing to do, but only in that very situation of mine (no other duties, some savings, and great inner certainty). What I wanted to say was more or less: I understand you.

I live nearby Charleroi, which is a relatively poor previous mining region, but the landscape is awesome – I adore the canals and cannot wait until summer to have lovely daily walks there with my dog.

4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 116 of 116
20 January 2015 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
Hi PM, I can totally relate to the importance to adapt to one's individual biorhythm (I a
similar to you - thinking works better in the morning than in the afternoon or evening, but when it comes to
physical activity, I am not really a morning person. My brain activity peaking during office time - that is great
for my employer, less great so for my after-work French studies :-)

And I do agree that it is always difficult to manage family time, work and personal interests. A few years
ago I did face a similar problem - not with a fast-growing child, but with my father (Somehow noone had come
over and offered him the Philosopher’s Stone to grant eternal life). At that time, I had a very travel-intense
and demanding full-time job, and I studied during nights to get the job of my dreams one day. I took a very
daring and risky decision, which was critized by most of my friends - I quit my job and spent one wonderful
year with my father and my studies. Looking back, this was the perfect thing to do, but only in that very
situation of mine (no other duties, some savings, and great inner certainty). What I wanted to say was more
or less: I understand you.

I live nearby Charleroi, which is a relatively poor previous mining region, but the landscape is awesome – I
adore the canals and cannot wait until summer to have lovely daily walks there with my dog.

Salut Suzie,

Merci beaucoup pour avoir partagé ta situation avec moi. Ça m'a fait plaisir de lire que tu as fait ce que tu
voulais malgré les pensées des autres personnes. Il semble que es très contente de ta décision que tu avais
pris à cette période.

Je connais un peu Charleroi. Ma femme et moi on y est allé deux fois. Une fois pour aller à l'aéroport près de
Charleroi pour voler à un autre pays en Europe (je ne me souviens pas où exactement maintenant que je le
pense, mais je crois que c'était Portugal.. soit Portugal ou Norvège). L'autre fois c'était pour retourner. À cette
période-là nous étions en train de profiter un peu de la vie en Europe puisque nous habitions à Maastricht
aux Pays-Bas près de la frontière belgique et près de la frontière allemande aussi.

J'ai encore deux grands billets de train que j'ai gardé du voyage entre Maastricht et Charleroi et le voyage de
retour aussi. Et maintenant quand j'utilise French in Action j'utilise ces grands billets comme marque-pages
dans mes livres de FIA parce qu'ils sont très bons d'utiliser quand j'ai besoin de couvrir quelque chose
(j'avais déjà écrit beaucoup de réponses dans ces livres il y a beaucoup de temps parce que c'était le cours
que j'avais utilisé quand j'ai d'abord essayer d'apprendre le français il y a presque vingt ans !).

Pour nous Charleroi avait l'air un peu pauvre ou industriel comme tu l'as décrite, mais assez intéressante
quand même. Pusique nous étions de passage à l'aéroport de Charleroi, nous avions aussi pris un bus pour
voyager entre la gare et l'aéroport et pour cette raison nous avons vu un peu de la ville. Mais pas beaucoup
en réalité. Comme d'habitude j'aimerais bien explorer plus naturellement.

J'espère que tes études vont bien :)

PM
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

Hi Suzie

Thank you very much for sharing your situation with me. I'm happy to read that you did what you wanted
despite what others think. It seems that you're very happy with the decision you had made at the time.

I know Charleroi a little. My wife and I went there a couple of times. Once to go to the airport near Charleroi to
fly to another country in Europe (I don't remember where exactly now that I think about it, but I believe it was
Portugal.. Either Portugal or Norway). The other time was to return. At that time we were busy taking
advantage of life in Europe since we lived in Maastricht in the Netherlands near the Belgian border and near
the German border as well.

I still have two large train tickets that I kept from the journey between Maastricht and Charleroi and the return
trip. And now when I use French in Action I use these large tickets as bookmarks in my FIA books, as they
are very good to use when I need to cover something up (I had already written a lot of answers in these
books a long time ago as it was the course that I had used when I first tried to learn French nearly 20 years
ago!)

For us Charleroi seemed a little poor and industrial as you described it, but somewhat interesting
nonetheless. Since we were passing through the airport near Charleroi, we also took a bus to travel between
the station and the airport and for that reason we saw a little of the city. But not a lot in reality. As usual I'd like
to explore more of course.

Hope your studies are going well :)

PM

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version