Diglot
Canada
Joined 4282 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 9 of 11
09 May 2013 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
2. This website (click me) provides rankings on forum as well as a very short description (but do not stop at this, the forums in questions usually cover a wider range of topics than mentioned in that description). You can filter by language and sort by number of posts to find the most active ones. Be aware that this is a ranking by quantity and not quality. Don't stop at this list though, it seems very incomplete to me. For instance, "http://voyageforum.com/" a fairly large forum on travelling or Elbakin.net a small but active forum on fantasy are not on that list.

As stated above, correct grammar and orthography will be an issue. I think you can easily avoid forums where writing is as bad as described by Michel but even on forums that have higher standards, like Htlal, there will still be mistakes and they won't always be pointed out. So keep that in mind when using them.

Blogs might be an alternative but quality blogs might be even harder to find than quality forums.

3. If you can't find an exchange partner, may be you should look for alternatives. For instance, you could try to provide some tutoring in Czech in order to earn money or points to pay for French conversation. That might be easier than having to find someone who is native in French AND is learning Czech. You could also try to find native and fluent speakers where you live through expat' associations and such. You could also try to meet and if you can, host, travellers. The forum I linked to above might be a good place to look since obviously, it is nearly only frequented by native French speaker with an interest in travelling.

As for getting review on audio, I know you can do this on Livemocha but I do not know how well it works since I only tried once.

Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 11
09 May 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
If you're at an upper intermediate, early advanced stage, the best use you can make of your
time is to read and listen to the language. For a language learner rather than someone already fluent and
proficient in a language looking to perfect or clear the fine points, the dedicated study of grammar is a waste
of time. You'll never make a language your own by reading about it, only by letting it speak to you directly and
profusely.

In my case, I never studied English grammar but rather soaked in the language through books and solely in
this fashion was able to eventually approach any text I wished and express myself passably.

I have already done that and it didn't work as well as I had hoped. That is the whole point. I am great at
reading about most topics and in only occassional need of dictionary. I am more than very good at listening
as I only have major troubles only with some dialects, like canadian, and with people difficult to understand
(speech impediments, old people, small children, when someone cries while speaking in the movie etc). The
trouble are my own stupid mistakes which put my active skills several levels down. I speak fluently and make
myself understood without slowing down or bothering the c onversation partner but I don'tuse the language
proficiently. I can write but with stupid mistakes and very slowly. Thats why I want to combine both
approaches from now on.

Tsopivo, thanks a lot, I'm sure my dreamforum hides on the list. I am already teaching French one person but
there are two troubles. First is my time, I am medicine student so there is not that much of it left for work, and
the difficulty to find students. Most people learning French go to language schools and the rest has a choice
between so many people with better papers than I have got (university degrees in French, Dalf, x years spent
in France). The offer is higher than demand in my opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 11
09 May 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Voyageforum and elbakin look awesome, thanks!!!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version