Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 16
08 May 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Have you considered LR? The German audiobook for "The Tin Drum" is fairly good (it's read by the author), and there's a parallel text floating around. Kafka is also quite approachable, as others have mentioned, and there are some good audiobooks of his work as well.

I've LR'd two of the books you mentioned; if you want to, there's no reason not to do it tomorrow, rather than next year. It's very likely to be more pleasant than waiting a year and using a dictionary extensively. If you do use a dictionary, I second the recommendations to use a pop-up one.

Good luck.

4 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4536 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
08 May 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I read some literature when I was A2-B1 in German, looking up 3-5 words per line. I'm not
sure I'd have the patience for that now, and I can't say it's the most efficient means of
study, but it sure didn't hurt anything.

Personally, I don't believe in saving literature or films until I'm at a higher level. If
I enjoy them that much, I'm happy to read them over and over, discovering new language
and new themes each time. If you find it too tiring to work through some of your chosen
works at your current level, set them aside and come back to them in a few months. There
is a wealth of language to be assimilated in even the simplest books.
5 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 16
08 May 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Personally I haven't found Kafka particularly approachable, and it wouldn't be my first
choice, but each to his own.

I do second the idea of L-R though. I find books much easier, and more pleasant, to get
through, if I have an audiobook to go with them, even if I'm not L-R-ing in the strict
sense.

Heinrïch Böll is often considered to be reasonably accessible for learners, and I'd go
along with that. He is also a classic writer of the post-WW2 period.

On a lighter note, there is also Erich Kästner. He wrote a lot of books for children,
including the famous Emil and the Detectives, but also some for a more general
audience, including "Drei Männer im Schnee" and "Der kleine Grenzverkehr" which are
quite fun, and "Fabian" which is a bit more serious.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4385 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 16
11 May 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
It's interesting, people are asking questions I was asking a year ago when I started learning German. I'm learning it for the same
reason as you: I really like German literature. I started Assimil late May 2012 so I think I could be of some help. Right now I'd say I'm
around high A2 right at the edge of B1 or probably B1. I had a lot of trouble with German, everyone kept telling me I'll finally get it
which was much help but they were right. As German is my first foreign language (other than my pathetic school system's Spanish
program) it took me around 3-4 months to finally get an efficient system down but I eventually got all the basics down pat. If reading
is your primary goal, I can't recommend enough buying (or downloading the PDF) or Karl Sandberg's German for Reading. Save all
new vocab into Anki/Memrise and follow along with a course like German with Ease (there's not audio in Sandberg's book) and it
should take you very far. Put it this way, by Chapter 4 you read excerpts from Kafka and Nietzsche (very basic but still), Chapter 8 & 9
your reading Freud and Marx, and by the end of the book at chapter 24 you read the opening dialogue from Faust.

It's gotten very expensive so you might want to download it somewhere: Approach-Graduate-Undergraduate/dp/0133540197/ref=sr_1_2?ie= UTF8&qid=1368243560&sr=8-
2&keywords=karl+sandburg">German for Reading

I've heard German Quickly by April Wilson is good too but I've never used it.

Günter Grass - the tin Drum (die Blechtrommel) -- Read this in English, I don't think the German would be THAT difficult but you'd
have to take it very slow.

Hermann Hesse - the Steppenwolf -- Hesse is pretty easy, you shouldn't have a problem.

Franz Kafka - the Trial (der Prozess) -- Kafka's language is very simple but his word choice is VERY particular. He also extensively
plays with features of German grammar such as word order that can be confusing. I still find Kafka to be a chore in German so I just
read him in English until my German is better.
Franz Kafka - the Castle (das Schloß)
Franz Kafka - the Transformation (die Verwandlung)

Goethe - Faust -- Faust is a whole other ballgame. Again, you'd probably RECOGNIZE a lot of words and understand the meaning, but
it'll hardly be that enjoyable. Goethe is probably my favorite writer, but he's too hard for me to read in German. His language is very
precise, playful, unorthodox, and complicated.

I'd hold off on literature until you reach the very advanced stages. Stick with Harry Potter and Hunger Games and work your way up.
Works like Faust - which Goethe spent most of his life writing - shouldn't be read by a reader who cant't yet grasp the many shades of
meaning by each carefully chosen word.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 16
11 May 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
If anyone likes the idea of reading books that were originally written in German, rather
than translated from English, then an alternative (or addition) to Harry Potter might be
the Tintenwelt Trilogie (Or Tintenherz Trilogie, after the 1st in the series) by Cornelia
Funke. There are English translations available. If looking on Amazon be careful how you
search or you might be inundated with hits for inkjet cartridges. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 16
04 June 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
My girlfriend has read and presented "Die Blechtrommel" at a film/literature art
symposium at university (but the presentation was in English), and she is at about
my level of German. My level of German is not above B2 (except maybe in comprehension
somewhat owing to my being a Dutch speaker). If you speak B2 German then you should be
able to read these kinds of books in my opinion. Holding a full discourse in German on
them may be too much to ask, but would be good practice, of course.

Edited by tarvos on 09 June 2013 at 2:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4359 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 15 of 16
04 June 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
EDIT:
Looks like I entirely forgot about OP's question. Sorry.

I'm roughly a B2 in terms of reading skills and find Kafka quite difficult. You could certainly get through those books, if less than perfect comprehension and/or looking up some words aren't a problem to you, but I think you might not enjoy the experience as much as you're hoping to. Then again, there's nothing stopping you from rereading them later, so don't feel obligated to wait. It comes down to your own preferences.

montmorency wrote:
I do second the idea of L-R though. I find books much easier, and more pleasant, to get through, if I have an audiobook to go with them, even if I'm not L-R-ing in the strict
sense.

I third it. This listen-while-you-read approach (L2-L2 LR, in other words) has turned out to be the silver bullet for me in getting my comprehension skills from intermediate to advanced. I find that the listening component both makes the experience more engaging and pushes the pace just enough to prevent me from overanalyzing every unknown word I come across.

The only downside that I can think of is that—in my experience at least—it doesn't do much for your conventional reading speed. You still have to slog through the slow phase at some point, and that can be frustrating if you're used to getting through a book or two a week.

Edited by sans-serif on 04 June 2013 at 3:06pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 16
09 June 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I would also recommend reading more contemporary authors. I for example read Juli Zeh,
which was a big help in boosting my German (580 pages of German does the trick).

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version