patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
08 May 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Not really a language map, but cool animation showing the constantly changing borders within Europe:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f54_1337075813
9 persons have voted this message useful

Surtalnar
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4156 days ago

52 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 3
08 May 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Nice video, but not really correct in all cases. Austria is labeled smaller than Bohemia during the time of the Austrian empire, although it was bigger and was the name-giving and reining "nation". The same Problem is exists with Austria-Hungary. Also, the Teutonic Order seems to be forgotten to be labeled.
1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoLeal
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4594 days ago

58 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 3 of 3
08 May 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Most of you are probably watching with amazement all the convulsions in central Europe (which are indeed interesting to watch) but let me draw your attention to something different:

Pause the video at 0:22 and check out the bottom left corner. See that rectangular country? Good now jump to 3:22 and take a look at that same area again. Does the shape look familiar? That's because it is exactly the same.

That's right, folks. The Portuguese borders have been exactly the same for something like...750 years. Sure, the Spanish took over in 1580 but the borders never really changed. It was simply viewed as union of kingdoms and it's in fact known as the Iberian Union. When we finally kicked them out in 1640 the previous borders were restored.

Later in the video you'll see parts of Portugal colored as either France or England but that's just because French and British troops decided to come over for a visit during the Napoleonic Wars. They really wanted to fight each other back then and figured that Portugal was a place as good as any other for that to happen but, as far as I know, none of them actually claimed the territories their armies occupied so I guess it doesn't count.

Edited by MarcoLeal on 08 May 2013 at 10:26pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version