Diglot
United States
Joined 4442 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 13
09 May 2013 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
In both Spanish and French, I am approaching a stage where I am able to read texts
written in those languages and am also able to acquire vocabulary through context, etc.
Now, one of my main problems is an imbalance of vocabulary (eg. I'll be able to use
linguistics terms with absolutely no problem but when it comes to saying animal names
I'll be stumped). From your experiences, what books and/or genres of books offer the
widest variety of vocabulary?
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4515 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 13
09 May 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
IMHO biographies are usually great! I read Ibrahimovic's in Italian and now I'm reading Raymond Domenech's in French, and both were/are very readable, good vocabulary and not so hard.

Edited by Fasulye on 09 May 2013 at 11:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
09 May 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
berabero89 wrote:
Now, one of my main problems is an imbalance of vocabulary (eg. I'll be able to use
linguistics terms with absolutely no problem but when it comes to saying animal names
I'll be stumped). From your experiences, what books and/or genres of books offer the
widest variety of vocabulary?

I get most of my animal vocabulary from reading French bedtime stories to my kids. :-) For adult conversational vocabulary, I've had better luck with bandes dessinées, VDM and TV series than I've had with books, which often have surprisingly little conversation. But in general, you need to decide what kind of vocabulary you want to develop, and then go look for it. There's no single kind of book which will provide every kind of vocabulary.

Also, there's nothing wrong with what Krashen calls "narrow reading." If you want to focus on a single topic, genre or author for a while, go for it. Sure, your vocabulary will be lopsided, but it will tend to even out with time. Sometimes it's easier to reach (say) 98% comprehension in a few areas and then use those as beachheads.

Edited by emk on 09 May 2013 at 2:53am

7 persons have voted this message useful

catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4368 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 4 of 13
09 May 2013 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
I remember reading the semi-classics. 20th Century Fiction. Stuff that isn't too contemporary so it retains a lot of literary significance but which is also not too antiquated. For French, I recommend Le Silence De La Mer (that book is really touching, and encouraged me to keep reading) which is strangely not too hard.

Comics - Asterix will definitely teach you how to say 'wild boar' haha.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6772 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 5 of 13
09 May 2013 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I have found high-frequency vocabulary
books extremely helpful for this kind of vocabulary building. It may be less fun than
reading and learning through context, but when combined with SRS software, it’s been
the most efficient way for me to cram a lot of a language, including words that are
extremely useful but don’t necessary pop up that often via other language learning or
even native language sources.

It is less important if you are learning primarily through reading at this point (since
you can easily stop look up words), but if you are sometimes struggling to understand
or produce words on the spot when talking to people, while watching television, etc.,
having the words ready to go is a big help. In my experience (living in a target-
language foreign country), it feels like every time you actually need a word, that’s
when you don’t have a dictionary on-hand or someone who can easily explain what you
need in terms that you understand.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4333 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 13
09 May 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Assuming you are at approximately my level, I started reading books in German in December last year, I am not sure you need to find books with the "widest vocabulary".

I imagine word frequency being a bit like a tree, with the main trunk at the base having the most common words, with the various branches representing more specialized (less frequent) words.

Anything you read is going to have a lot of stuff from the main trunk, so it doesn't matter at first what you read, other than it should sufficiently enjoyable that you don't lose interest. I have found at B1, young adult literature (Harry Potter, the Hunger Games trilogy) helpful as there are lots and lots of useful words, and syntax is relatively simple, and the language tends to be relatively concrete, so that you read fairly quickly. I tried starting a Murakami book as I have read his translations in German are actually quite straightforward, but he's still much harder/slower to read that HP, mostly because the syntax/use-of-metaphor made everything is a bit harder to parse.

Both groups of books are also available electronically, which makes a big difference to me as I can both read much much faster with an ebook, than a paperback, and I can also input unknown words directly into Anki.

Edited by patrickwilken on 09 May 2013 at 4:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4074 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 7 of 13
09 May 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
I would say: read any book that you have already read before in your mother tongue (or a language you know better) and that you have enjoyed. You will be able to follow the plot and to guess many words without opening your dictionary.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4468 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 8 of 13
10 May 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Herman Hesse's ''Sidhhartha'' is a great read in any language.
''The little prince'' too.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version