Joined 6486 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 49 of 58
23 October 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
Ahh now I've seen your log and I'm very interested in how you've
gone about learning Ukrainian. How did you get started? I think it's going to be on
my hit list for 2014.

Hello :) Well, I actually just decided to go live in Kiev for 3 months with a friend,
and prior to that I got myself a tandem partner through the university, she gave me a
novel in Ukrainian and I downloaded some textbooks that I may have looked at for a
while (I'm horrible at using textbooks, I make it to lesson 2 and then I somehow
forget about the book). Mostly I think I wrote lang-8 posts, read aloud to my
tandem partner and had conversations with her, created an ANKI deck and read articles
and that book. It obviously helped that I already knew all the grammar from Russian.
Once I got to Kiev I had found a private tutor and had some lessons with her and mostly
just read and wrote stuff.

Ah yes, the first thing I did was to read a grammar on OCS in Ukrainian (that I had
bought on my first visit to Kiev somewhat earlier with another friend). I.e. the exact
same thing I just did for Bulgarian ;) Parleremo should have some good resources for
Ukrainian by the way (including videos and vocab), you could check that out.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4874 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 50 of 58
24 October 2013 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Check out booksbg.org if you want to find Bulgarian e-books for download. I've never had much difficulty finding e-books in Bulgarian in general if you search enough. I also recommend Ivan Vazov if you want to read traditional Bulgarian literature. His short stories are much easier to read in my opinion than Christo Botev's.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6486 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 51 of 58
24 October 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks Kartof! I'll check him out. I was thinking about something non-fiction though,
i.e. a biography!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6486 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 52 of 58
29 October 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
A small Googling request for the somewhat more advanced/native Bulgarian speakers: could
someone help me check if there is a Bulgarian-Bulgarian dictionary that can be used with
Kindle Paperwhite? I've only found English-Bulgarian so far! Either Bulgarian-
English/French/Russian or Bulgarian-Bulgarian would be fine. And I would be very, very
happy.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6486 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 53 of 58
03 November 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Update time!

The 6 week challenge started, and I'm participating on the tiny team #parleremo, and my
work effort so far is kind of pitiful, but it has gotten me to:

1) add words to ANKI (614 cards now)
2) start reading a new book, short stories by Pavel Vezhinov

The book is really not much more difficult to read than Twilight, so I'm pleased. It's
also very good, and interesting, and so far I've read 10% of it. There's something very
easy to grasp about Bulgarian, at least on a basic level. The lack of cases makes word
order very strict, which of course is nice for a speaker of Swedish (which works the
same way) so there's never any "wait wait, what's the subject/object/recipient here?"
that's rather frequent with the East Slavic languages. The да abundance has stopped
bothering me, I hardly notice them anymore. I also feel that some structures, some
conjunctions and set phrases have nestled in my mind without me actually learning them,
which is also something I appreciate very much. I do wonder how difficult I would have
found Bulgarian without my background in Russian and OCS though. Right now it pretty
much feels like I've already done all the hard work with those two, so I can just sit
back and absorb.

I did some listening too! That is, actual listening, not listening while doing
something else. It was difficult. How much I understand really depends on the speaker
and the topic, but right now I'm focusing more on picking up pronunciation and rhythm
(which is surprisingly staccato) than on getting all the details.

For writing, I did a mini chat with a Bulgarian girl and I wrote another journal post.

When it comes to Russian I burned through a historical romance novel that I read
together with a Goodreads friend. It was very amusing. You can find my review
here.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4874 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 54 of 58
03 November 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
A small Googling request for the somewhat more advanced/native Bulgarian speakers: could
someone help me check if there is a Bulgarian-Bulgarian dictionary that can be used with
Kindle Paperwhite? I've only found English-Bulgarian so far! Either Bulgarian-
English/French/Russian or Bulgarian-Bulgarian would be fine. And I would be very, very
happy.

Sorry for the late response, but I didn't manage to find a Bulgarian-other language kindle dictionary :(. All of the links that I've found are probably the same English-Bulgarian dictionary you've found.
tricoteuse wrote:

I did some listening too! That is, actual listening, not listening while doing
something else. It was difficult. How much I understand really depends on the speaker
and the topic, but right now I'm focusing more on picking up pronunciation and rhythm
(which is surprisingly staccato) than on getting all the details.

I always find it interesting what different people's responses are to listening to Bulgarian. I personally agree that it sounds staccato, with a similar rhythm to Italian or Greek. Other people have told me that it sounds blurrier and that the sounds are less separated than in other Slavic languages.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4974 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 55 of 58
04 November 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse, haven't seen you in a while, so I though I could drop by here and share this
link, you might be interested:

Writing

Edited by Expugnator on 04 November 2013 at 5:21pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6486 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 56 of 58
05 November 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Hey Expug! I can't access that link. Is HTLAL messing it up somehow?

And thanks for looking Kartof! I don't think the sounds are more blurry in Bulgarian, if
anything they're more distinct since the consonants are harder and therefore often easier
to pinpoint. Plus, with languages that go by word order and prepositions and such instead
of cases, you (I think) inevitably get more "small words" popping up all around the
place. As long as you learn to recognize these (since they are mostly unstressed) I think
comprehension should be rather straight forward. My vocab is still too small though, so I
miss too many crucial words in most sentences on topics I'm not familiar with.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version