Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 13
14 May 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Afaiu the scale is as follows:
change - alter - adjust
:)
I'd rather say the situation has changed, if it's more or less completely different. altered would (IMO) require some additional words like "to some extent" or "somewhat".

Serpent has really hit the nail on the head!

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary says:
Alter or change?
Change has a much wider range and many particular collocations such as change your mind/name, change colour/tack and change the subject. Change often suggests a complete change; alter can suggest a smaller change
Alter is often used when sth has changed only slightly or not at all

IMHO, adjust would suggest an even smaller change.

2 persons have voted this message useful

babeltower
Vietnam
Joined 4024 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English

Message 10 of 13
15 May 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Based on things I wrote

"I took my shirt back to the shop to have it altered ". This form can be found in
Advanced Cambridge Dictionary. Since that, I think it is correct academically and not
wrong.

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4344 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 13
15 May 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
If "I adjust the signal on the TV during the football match" I am presumably trying to make the signal clearer.

If "I alter the signal on the TV during the football match" I may be changing the channel to something else, though I could be modulating it.

Alter implies change (though the change could result in a modification); Adjust implies modification/modulation.

So if I adjust my relationship with my girlfriend, it implies that I still have a relationship with her, but it's changed in someway. If I alter it, it could imply that we've broken up.

Edited by patrickwilken on 15 May 2013 at 1:14pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 13
15 May 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
babeltower wrote:
Based on things I wrote

"I took my shirt back to the shop to have it altered ". This form can be found in
Advanced Cambridge Dictionary. Since that, I think it is correct academically and not
wrong.

I was disagreeing with tarvos who said adjusted sounds better here. it's just a much more common word. I recommend finding out more about its meanings, as it's more common to speak of either major (change) or minimal (adjust) changes, rather than "medium" (alter).

Edited by Serpent on 15 May 2013 at 9:24pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 13 of 13
15 May 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
With all due respect, and tarvos' level of English is as close to native as you can get; he's wrong on this one. He did leave North America when he was quite young, well before he probably would have ever had the need to take a shirt or a pair of pants/trousers to a seamstress or tailor in order to have the article of clothing "altered".

As a lifelong native speaker of English, and someone who has bought clothing that has needed to be altered, I can speak with some authority on this subject. Again, no offense meant to tarvos. I always appreciate his contributions.

Here are some real world examples: How to Alter Clothes from the US. From Australia- Alter It and lastly, from England Alter Sheffield- Clothing Alterations and Repairs.

Edited by iguanamon on 15 May 2013 at 11:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version