2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 11
14 May 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Saw this today:

Almodóvar: I'm so Excited ("Los amantes pasajeros"):

IMDB entry

Very funny; very strange; very Almodóvar.
1 person has voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6119 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 2 of 11
07 September 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Didn't see that one but I saw "Los Abrazoz Rotos" and "La Piel Que Habito" recently and they were both
garbage. Hope he returns to form again
2 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 3 of 11
07 September 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Could you recommend some movies where he was in form? I've watched Hable con Ella, Atame, Volver, and Todo Sobre mi Madre, and while I kinda liked the first one I saw (Volver), the rest of them all felt really flat. I have a Todo Almodóvar collection at my house (last renters left it), but I don't know what else I should watch to get a better feel for his movies. The ones I've seen feel like they could be compressed to the size of La Concejala Antropófaga and get the same point across. Or maybe I'd be better off just hearing from people who like his movies what they get out of them so I can know what to look for. It seems a shame to have all these movies sitting around that I have trouble convincing myself to watch.

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6119 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 

Message 4 of 11
09 September 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Well those movies are his best so if you don't like those, don't bother with his movies after Volver as they are
inferior, and sometimes downright laughable, La Piel Que Habito (2011) being an example. The plot of that
movie is the worst kind of attention-seeking, try-hard shock elements, and is borderline offensive.

Hable con Ella is my favorite movie of his, even if it's over the top and oversentimental at times I think it has
some of the best characters and acting, and a genuine feel to it.

Edited by anime on 09 September 2013 at 9:04am

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 5 of 11
27 September 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Just saw it today, it was pretty funny. It's very Almodovar indeed.

I've seen every Almodovar after Mujeres al borde except Todo sobre mi madre(so far), and I'd say he actually got better as time progressed (although Atame is an exception, classic movie) with La mala educacion, Los abrazos rotos, and La piel que habito being my favorites.

His earlier movies are just so boring to me. I don't understand them really.

anime - What is it that you find offensive about La piel que habito? I didn't find it to be anything that you said about it.

Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4439 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 6 of 11
27 September 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
nonneb wrote:
Could you recommend some movies where he was in form? I've watched Hable con Ella, Atame, Volver, and Todo Sobre mi Madre, and while I kinda liked the first one I saw (Volver), the rest of them all felt really flat. I have a Todo Almodóvar collection at my house (last renters left it), but I don't know what else I should watch to get a better feel for his movies. The ones I've seen feel like they could be compressed to the size of La Concejala Antropófaga and get the same point across. Or maybe I'd be better off just hearing from people who like his movies what they get out of them so I can know what to look for. It seems a shame to have all these movies sitting around that I have trouble convincing myself to watch.

I think you can give him a last shot and watch 'Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios'. It's excellent. If you don't like this one, forget Almodovar for the rest of your life.

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6119 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 

Message 7 of 11
12 October 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Just saw it today, it was pretty funny. It's very Almodovar indeed.

I've seen every Almodovar after Mujeres al borde except Todo sobre mi madre(so far), and I'd say he actually
got better as time progressed (although Atame is an exception, classic movie) with La mala educacion, Los
abrazos rotos, and La piel que habito being my favorites.

His earlier movies are just so boring to me. I don't understand them really.

anime - What is it that you find offensive about La piel que habito? I didn't find it to be anything that you said
about it.

Yeah, I see this kind of people reviewing films on IMDB, praising the new popular movie, and they don't seem
capable of a taste of their own, most reviewers fall under this category, and the trash we see on cinemas is
because of these people hyping and paying for these abominations. It's quite tragic really. I will normally know
from talking to a person if they actually have their own personality or if they just act how they're supposed to,
and like what the rest of the sheep herd like. So yeah, La Piel Que Habito, where to start, *spoiler alert*

A plastic surgeons daughter get raped by some freak dude in the middle of a cocktail party, she then
proceeds to fear her father instead for no apparent reason, she then kills herself. The surgeon hunts down
the rapist, kidnaps him, then performs sex change surgery on him to resemble his dead wife (who also killed
herself), the surgeon then proceeds to rape the rapist of his dead daughter, then some weird brazilian guy
turns up and rapes the rapist some more, gets killed by the surgeon, the surgeon then has sex with the rapist
again, then the rapist kills the surgeon and goes back to the clothing store where he used to work to
pleasently surprise them; their once ugly and annoying male coworker has turned into a stunning, charming
young woman through the magic of surgery. THE END

Yeah this really is a great movie   *does massive headpalm*

The movie is trash and an insult to some of Almodovars prevoius works.

I take it you like "exciting" movies where lots of "exciting" stuff happens randomly. Who cares about the script,
the fact that you want to be able to relate emotionally to the characters? Eff that busywork!

Edited by anime on 12 October 2013 at 2:47pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 8 of 11
12 October 2013 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Don't you think that you're running along with the sheep by praising only people's old work? There are just as many people who praise the older stuff than people who praise the newer. I'm not even going to try to understand how you can tell if people can form a taste of their own from an imdb review or not.

I don't see why it's tragic that people can find merit in his newer movies as well as his older ones.

Putting all of this aside, I did say I liked his earlier movies. Atame, Las mujeres, Hable con ella, etc. When I said his earlier movies, I was talking about stuff like Tacones & Kika. So where's your argument there?

I take it you like "deep" movies where lots of "deep" dialogue and scenes takes place, like looking at a lake for half the film. Because writing is the ONLY thing that matters.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version