Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 20
16 May 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Will anyone watch it?

From a language point of view it's interesting. I think English is used a bit less this year. Many countries chose their own language.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 16 May 2013 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Romanzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4098 days ago

15 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, French

Message 2 of 20
16 May 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I watch it and love that many countries chose to sing in their national language,
especially the Latin ones! I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that San Marino didn't make it :(

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 20
16 May 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I have just googled an article when the author chose the best five in his opinion but
there are videos of all the songs. So, I am going to chew throught it, perhaps there
will be something worth diving in both for the language and the music.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/eurovision-2013-y our-guide-to-all-the-
acts/story-e6frfn09-1226644185349

So far:
The author seemed quite excited about the Belgium guy, Roberto Bellarosa. Well, I was
totally unimpressed, it sounds like all the songs I accidentally heard on MTV not that
long ago.

But the girl from Danemark got me quite excited! Yes, it is pop but quite a nice one
with some other things mixed in. Emmelie de Forest and her song Only Teardrops. I
really liked it.

Amandine Bourgois sounds quite good and she sings in her native French. And the song
quite stands out of all I have heard from Eurovision (not that I watched it, I haven't
surely heard everything. But some songs yes). Well, the second half is worse. She
focuses to much on waving around and trying to get people to clap their hands instead
of singing.

Anouk speaks in Dutch at the beginning of the video! It sounds great. But her song
Birds is in English. I have heard the name before, no wonder. She is obviously good and
quite experienced (unlike some of the contestants who just left a tv show contest). Am
I wrong or is the song a nice Waltz?

Sweden and Robin Stjernberg. A normal pop song and normal teen star voice. While I
wouldn't listen to it otherwise, I wouldn't run for my life away from the radio either.

These five caught attention of the journalist. So, I am going to listen to the rest
during the night. No worries, I won't comment everything :-D

My country isn't participating this time (it was at least once but I guess people
didn't care much). But what about those represented. Do you know these artists?

Hmm. Albania: Adrian Lulgjurar and Bledar Sejko. The journalist hated them, I don't
think they are bad. Not too original but definitely not bad. And they sing in Albanian!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 4 of 20
17 May 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I forgot the original question: no, I won't watch it but I am curious what got into the
competition.

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4270 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 20
17 May 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
If I wasn't going on a scout camp this weekend, I would watch it. I like the eurovision, I think it is fun to see what songs/shows the different countries choose to represent them.
I have watched the semifinals. The song from Iceland is in Icelandic this year. That is surely going to please someone in here :)
It does seem like more countries have gone back to singing in their own language.

I actually believe it when they say that "we" (Denmark) have a good chance to win, but we will see...

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 6 of 20
17 May 2013 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
The Icelandic song is awesome! And the singer handsome :-) Yes, that song from Danemark
is, in my opinion, among the best on the list. But sometimes winner is far from the
best.

After listening to all the songs and watching all the videos, I'm afraid that 50% of
the women and 80% of the men there are dangerous to any diabetics. And that guy from
Romania made me laugh, while the Bulgarian one and that lady in the Macedonian scared
me away. But there were a few nice ones.

Two songs are in Greek and they are quite good even though not the genre of music I
usually listen to. The Georgian duet wasn't bad and the Tomorrow song by Gianluca
Bezzina from Malta had the best lyrics there in my opinion (and is pleasant to listen
to and the video is fun). O Mie by Aliona Moon from Moldova was quite good. Does
Moldova speak Romanian or do they have their own language? Shame on me for not knowing.
And I quite liked the Switzerland song.

Tilia, I wouldn't overestimate informative value of this contest. We can't see a
representative example of overall taste in music in the country just the taste of the
people who vote in this kind of competition which is a specific part of the public. And
we can see only a few genres included.

Thinking of it, I guess I know why the Czech Republic doesn't participate anymore. Even
for the one year, it wasn't easy to find someone both good enough and willing to
participate. And that year the winner was a humourous Ukrainian transsexual with
horrible song. Most people weren't sure whether the band was taking it as a big joke or
they meant it. So I believe noone here takes Eurovision seriously anymore, not even
people who like these genres of music :-D

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 20
17 May 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I hope Belarus wins ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 8 of 20
17 May 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Eurovision was never taken seriously here in the sense of "music competition", but people do like the entire fun and gossip and crazy outfits.

I am happy Greece (finally!!!) used greek, and they are goods lyrics too. I remember there was a time when using English was a scandal, but then it became the norm. Maybe all countries should send their language, and eurovision could broadcast translation to the lyrics so that people would understand more. It's nice to hear many languages.

The guy from Iceland made an interesting comment, when asked why they finally used that language instead of English as was planned. He said something like: you can only get personal with someone speaking in your own language.

Meanwhile I will watch the final with more interest since Greece is in it, but there are other songs that I like. France, Iceland, Italy. Not Belarus, but for Medulin's sake I'll cheer :)

Edited by renaissancemedi on 17 May 2013 at 7:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version