Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 11
22 May 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
matumic wrote:
And just out of curiosity, how many pages/minutes/hours would you recommend that I read daily on average?

There's no set number of pages, no specific amount of time. Sorry I can't be more precise. Language-learning is not an exact science. Instead of thinking in terms of a day, try thinking in terms of a week or a month. At this stage, I'm reading a book a week in Portuguese. I probably spend about an hour a day in Spanish and two to three hours a day in Portuguese.

You are just starting this new phase of learning. Remember, you are making Spanish a part of your life. This will involve a certain amount of "sacrificing" many of your normal English activities exchanging them for Spanish ones. You may not read much in English for enjoyment for a while. If you can deal with that, your only limit is your time available. Even time is not as limited as you may think if you take advantage of Barry Farber's "hidden moments" strategy.

The Super Challenge, first suggested by our dear Christina, set a goal of 100 films and 100 books in 20 months. Even if you fall short of this goal, imagine how much better your skills will be if you only manage half of it or even a quarter. What if you set a goal to read every advanced article in Veinte Mundos in 6 months and really make an effort to know them? Then in addition, get 90% of your news from Spanish-only sources. Post once a week on lang8. Add in a book a month and make an effort to speak Spanish at some point (in-person or online) most days of the week and I think you'd be well on your way to your goal. The more time spent with the language, the better you will be.

The main thing is, paraphrasing emk, to find something you like to do in Spanish and keep at it as long as you can. Don't forget that people are your best resource. Having Spanish-speaking friends really helps.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 May 2013 at 10:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

matumic
Groupie
United States
Joined 6044 days ago

60 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 11
23 May 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
And when you say that you're reading a book a week in portuguese, how many pages are these books on average?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 11
24 May 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
It depends, on average about 300 pages, mais ou menos. I rise early and read in the morning and at night when I have a chance. I don't count pages or words. I just read, and learn. I have no structure or time limit. I do make time for it though.

Numbers of pages aren't important to me. This isn't an onerous task I'm doing. I read what interests me and enjoy doing it. As long as you do that too you'll be fine. If you approach it as a chore to get through, you won't last long.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version