Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5593 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 7
23 May 2013 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I:m currently studying for the jlpt (level 3) and one problem I keep having in practice tests is that I'm unsure whether a word would be e.g. どうぶつ or どぶつ.
It seems fairly random that some words have a long vowel and some have a short vowel.

Can anyone give any advice for how I can try to remember the vowel length? Its just not something I'm used to in English and in other languages I've learned a little of it tends to be much more pronounced and rare.

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4658 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 7
23 May 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
What helped me to deal with this problem is this: don't think of them as long vowels. Think of them as two separate letters pronounced together. It's not do-/bu/tsu, it's do/u/bu/tsu. Or to be accurate, it's actually said do/o/bu/tsu.

What I do is take the word and pronounce each letter slowly and separately. Do. O. Bu. Tsu. Then I say them faster and faster, closer and closer together until I get it.

What helps is also clapping your hands each time you say a syllable. Each letter/syllable in theory has the same length. When you slowly say each syllable, clap. Then as you get faster and faster, you get used to the rhythm of the word.

After that, it's just sheer memorization. You have to remember that どうぶつ means "animal" and どぶつ is... well... a Buddha statue made of earth?

Edited by kujichagulia on 23 May 2013 at 5:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4150 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 3 of 7
23 May 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
There were 2 things that helped me get used to long vowels.

The first was learning a lot of kanji and their common compounds. (Before I started
really studying Japanese grammar, I had already learned about 500 Kanji and I think
that this helped me immensely in understanding Japanese phonetics. While I wouldn't
suggest doing exactly what I did, I see no harm in going ahead and learning some
additional kanji.) Learning the characters behind the sounds allowed me to... well,
associate those sounds to the characters. Knowing that ど is 土 and means "earth" and
that どう is 動 and means "motion" allowed me to guess the length of a vowel even when I
couldn't necessarily hear the difference at first. (Also, some words are really easy to
remember because of their characters. Doubutsu was easy for me to remember when I
realized it meant "move thing", and then since I knew the character 動, motion, it was
easy enough to remember it had a long vowel.)

The second was exaggerating their length. And I mean really exaggerate them! Doubutsu
isn't just do-u-bu-tsu, but do-o-o-o-u-bu-tsu. It seems awkward at first, but I found
that pronouncing them like this during the early stages of my studies helped me
remember which words required a long vowel much more easily. You will have to shift
away from this kind of pronunciation later on, but it isn't too difficult to do so.
Once you learn more words and have exposed yourself more to the sounds of Japanese, the
difference between long and short vowels will become much clearer.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 4 of 7
23 May 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
What helps is also clapping your hands each time you say a syllable. Each letter/syllable in theory has the same length. When you slowly say each syllable, clap. Then as you get faster and faster, you get used to the rhythm of the word.
A bit of a nitpick, but the technical term for what you're talking about here isn't "syllable" but "mora", which is a much more useful concept when describing (standard) Japanese phonology and prosody. Generally one kana symbol represents one mora, the major exception being the palatalization symbols - にゃ,りょ,きゅ, etc are all 1-mora syllables. One activity that helped hammer this idea into my head was listening to songs while reading the lyrics. That way you notice that in most cases the singers try to match the morae to the beats - どう is two beats, へい is two beats, おん is two beats, and sometimes even something like っか can become two beats (although this one ends up sounding the least natural, since most singers just elongate the preceding vowel rather than isolate the geminated consonant).

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4547 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
23 May 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I know that I used to have this problem and I don't any more, although for the life of my
I can't remember if I did anything specific to address it. I think learning the kanji
really helps. Even if you're trying to accumulate vocab without learning a lot of kanji,
you should eventually develop a feel for it.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4658 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 6 of 7
24 May 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
A bit of a nitpick, but the technical term for what you're talking about here isn't "syllable" but "mora", which is a much more useful concept when describing (standard) Japanese phonology and prosody.

Ah, thank you for the correction. I completely forgot about "mora".

HopeTea
Japan
Joined 4082 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 7
25 May 2013 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
I honestly think just listening to a lot of Japanese is a big help. When you can start to hear native speakers
speaking the words when you see them for example, you just start to get a feel for the words. So I guess I
would say it just takes time. At least that's how it happened in my case. I don't remember doing anything
specific, though I do agree with a previous poster that remembering them in an exaggerated way can help
(especially with words you often get mixed up on).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version