Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Did you teach yourself to become fluent?

Tags: Teach Yourself
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 12
24 May 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Some more podcast links:

WDR podcast
overview

There is a pretty big range there. Wander through and see if anything attracts you.

Schlaflos in München

The incomparable Annik. (In Hochdeutsch not Bayrisch! :-) ).

1 person has voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4396 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 10 of 12
24 May 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the fantastic advice! Seems like everyone agrees it's a better to just jump in and start using native
materials. Fuenf_Katzen, I'm in the same situation, I have no one to speak with and am literally counting the cents to
pay for college, food, and rent so traveling isn't really an option. I have a PDF of How to Improve Your Foreign
Language Immediately by Boris Shekhtman and will probably read that soon. Judging from these post it seems best
that I do something like LR. I have German and English editions of Harry Potter and a copy of Er ist wieder da by
Timur Vermes which I've been holding off because I'm nervous to start using native materials.

Also, would forcing myself to think in German be beneficial or just reinforce mistakes? Has anyone managed to
learn to speak without actually having another person there?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 12
25 May 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Don't be nervous to use HP! And yeah, LR or audiobooks are an excellent idea. It's also a way to stop f*cking thinking and carry on reading! doesn't matter if you didn't understand something - if it's important, it'll come up again.

Don't FORCE yourself. Have enough input to make you want to think in German.

Don't doubt the power of independent learning! (starting with "don't" again just looked good :D) Many members here have taught themselves to fluency. I've taught myself Finnish. I did visit Finland once a year, but most of the work was done at home. On the techniques page, see scriptorium and especially shadowing.

Don't neglect listening. Back when I was a beginner in Italian, I expected to take a route similar to Finnish. Writing fluency, reading fluency, then a lot of shadowing to reach speaking fluency. I did so much listening that I didn't find it necessary to shadow, other than to improve specifically my pronunciation and intonation. This time I didn't need it just to get my speech to the level of my writing.

Edited by Serpent on 25 May 2013 at 12:08pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6783 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 12 of 12
26 May 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Bobb328 wrote:
Right now I know most of the basic grammar concepts and can recognize
them but it takes me forever to actively use them. For example, writing a sentence with
adjectives and multiple verbs would take me several minutes to think out the
declinations of each case and gender (and forget about speaking, right know I don't
know how anyone can speak an inflected language; especially one where there's
almost no indication of what the gender is).

I would not call myself fluent in German, but I have reached a point where I can speak
automatically and correctly on common topics without thinking about declinations, word
order, genders or other basic grammar points. This was the result of lots and lots of
speaking practice that ingrained certain habits in my head. I believe German is easier
than other inflected languages because it only has four cases, and most of these only
change the ending of the article/adjective slightly. These declension rules and
patterns for creating plurals are fairly straightforward and just require practice
until they become automatic. I would recommend that you get as much speaking practice
as you can, either in the form of drills, talking to yourself, or through language
partners, but focus on correct output. If you already know most of German grammar, you
should be able to tell when you are making mistakes. I would suggest that in your
initial speaking efforts, you should focus on taking the time to produce largely
correct output (to your best ability, and with self-correction as necessary) rather
than just rushing the words out without worrying about whether they are correct. The
speed and fluidity will come with time, but fossilizing mistakes or ingraining bad
habits will be detrimental in the long run.

Additionally, I would suggest that if you are concerned with speaking automatically and
fluidly at this point in your learning, you might want to focus on mastering the more
simple and common grammatical forms, sentence patterns, and vocabulary before moving on
to "advanced" communication/grammar/vocabulary. I had my greatest gains in the first
few weeks of intensive studying because I spent that time talking about essentially the
same things over and over again with my host family and language partner friends - what
I did that day, my plans for the next day, my thoughts about the news, etc. Over time,
I could easily use the most common verbs, tenses, nouns, etc. with complete
automaticity. Later on, I could fit new words and sentence patterns into my speech
because I had a good base. And I found people were more willing to speak German with
me because I spoke more fluidly and correctly, which further increased my speaking
opportunities.

It sounds from your original post, for instance, that you are planning to study 30 new
vocabulary words a day and that you feel speaking is difficult in part because the
nouns themselves often do not indicate their gender. I think vocabulary cramming,
while useful in its own way, doesn't help that much with developing automaticity and an
ability to speak fluidly in German. And as for the gender issue, I would suggest that
you just make sure to memorize the gender at the same time as you learn the new word.
This will initially be hard, but gets easier as you train your brain to chunk the noun
and gender as a single concept.

Edited by mike245 on 26 May 2013 at 9:24am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version