France
Joined 4451 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 9 of 29
30 May 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
If reading articles on the Guardian website be careful. I was reading it the other day, and even though I had selected the "UK" option, I found myself reading an article with distinctly US spellings, e.g. "labor" for "labour".

Maybe the article was written by an American? I think the Guardian normally just keeps the spelling used by the author of the article.

By the way, the Guardian used to be rather (in)famous for having a lot of typos and spelling mistakes, hence its nickname "the Grauniad".
3 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4066 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 10 of 29
30 May 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
vogue wrote:

I'm not a translator so maybe it matters more, but this seems doable without any
additional resources. I'm
100% functional in British English with just making sure I have my spell check to
British English (which is
usually not needed anyways).

Depending on what type of translation, it could indeed matter (and greatly).

Try translating a legal document (from another EU state, for example) destined for use
in the British court system. You won't get very far with just setting your spell check
to BE.

Our legal systems and terminology are quite different. I'm sure there are other
translation specializations that also differ quite a bit, but I'm familiar enough with
our legal differences to know that it takes a fair amount of extra training.

R.
==

I would say with court documents, yes that's a big difference. I don't know much UK medical terminology, but that's the other place where I could see that being hugely different if chemist vs pharmacy is any indication.

As far as Volte's list, I live in the UK and haven't even heard some of those words used (but keeping in mind I'm in London) and some of the British definitions are also our definitions (mind you that may vary by region). For example, everyone I know calls "hard cider" cider in the U.S unless there's a specific need to clarify, whereas this wikipedia page suggests it's the norm to call it 'hard cider'... Same with kebab - most people I know are referring to doner with this spelling and shish with kabob as the spelling.

There are plenty on there that I do hear, but I think I've internalized them as normal so perhaps I'm not qualified to advise on how easy it is to pick it up. I have also gotten the impression that some of that vocabulary maybe falling out of favor, generally in favor of the American usage.

All this being said, I work for a political NGO and have never had any problems, but I'm also living in England so I do get to hear British English regularly. Maybe without that "immersion environment" a book would be useful.

Now if you wanna' be thrown really off.. try Australian.

Edited by vogue on 30 May 2013 at 5:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 11 of 29
30 May 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
My impression is that apart from IT and to a certain degree investment finance which are dominated by terms originating from American English, jargon or specialized terms from other fields (especially law and medicine) would require a prospective user or translator to be comfortable with these terms in whatever variant of English is relevant.

Incidentally this reminds me of some Croatian linguists who stated that among other reasons Croatian and Serbian are different languages because of the formal or semantic differences of the specialized lexemes used in Croatian and Serbian academic or legal documents. They reported (with some justification I may add. See next paragraph) that they couldn't reliably understand Serbian academic papers (although may I pointedly ask was it because the grammar and lexemes as a whole were genuinely unintelligible or the underlying intellectual concepts/meanings were outside their experience or academic training?)

I'd argue though that much American legalese (to say nothing of British legalese) could just as well be expressed in Mandarin to me since I have no clue of what's being meant even though it's still in English. Yet just because I don't understand it usefully and would need a translator (or legal expert) to make sense of them, I'm not set to treat legalese from anywhere in the Anglosphere as being a foreign or different language in the sense that English and Dutch are different languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4480 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 12 of 29
31 May 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
In medical terminology, there are very few differences between UK English and US English (unlike in law terminology). Even ''popular'' British foetus is spelled fetus in medical UK English, in order to be uniform with ''global/US'' medical usage. Many Americans publish articles in British medical journals and vice versa, so the uniformization was/is needed. You're more likely to find differences with measure units (imperial units being used in the US and older mg/L favored over new mmol/L). All British psychiatrists are familiar with American DSM system (since, as a rule, this American classification of mental disorders is used for research all over the world).
As for -ize spelling, it is completely acceptable in British English, it is advocated by Oxford University Press, and hence the name Oxford spelling. British English with Oxford spelling is the ''official English'' of the UN.

Edited by Medulin on 31 May 2013 at 1:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5508 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 13 of 29
01 June 2013 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Lots of great advice here. Thank you to everyone who responded.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 29
01 June 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
fetus wasn't even foetus in Latin :P

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4863 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 15 of 29
01 June 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
There are also slight differences in grammar and usage. In British English, for example, 'which' is often used interchangeably with 'that' in the beginning of a restrictive relative clause, whereas Americans tend to use 'which,' at least in formal writing.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4480 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 29
02 June 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I don't like relative clauses in English. Those who wrote the rules tried to copy the Latin grammar,
but even they failed to know what they were trying to do...

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version