24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 9 of 24
30 May 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
But is it certainly proved that Italian and German have more recognizable cognates than
Italian and Russian?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 24
30 May 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
What is a "recognisable cognate", and how would you go about counting the words?

What would constitute proof in your eyes?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 11 of 24
30 May 2013 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
What is a "recognisable cognate", and how would you go about counting the
words?

What would constitute proof in your eyes?

I don't know but how did Volte and others determine that Italian shares more common
vocabulary with German than with Russian?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 24
30 May 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Based on our experience with the languages. There are quite many international words that Russian doesn't use, for example helicopter. Italian and German tend to use them also when Russian doesn't (elicottero, Helikopter).
Of course you can find all sort of examples between the three languages. Russian and German both borrowed the English word football, whereas Italian uses the name of the game played in Florence in the 16th century (calcio). But this is more of an exception.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 24
30 May 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Is Fussball a borrowing or a calque or even just how you say it, given the Germanic roots
of German and English? (it is cognate for sure)

Quote:
I don't know but how did Volte and others determine that Italian shares more
common vocabulary with German than with Russian?

My guess is that there is etymological evidence for this. But that is naught but an
informed guess. But you do know that German and Italian share a linguistic border, so
there is bound to be crossover.

Edited by tarvos on 30 May 2013 at 5:16pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 24
30 May 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Марк: I determined it by studying both Russian and German, and fluently speaking Italian. The similarities and differences between languages become obvious with surprisingly little study. It's obvious that Italian is a lot closer to Spanish than it is to English; it's almost as obvious than Italian is closer to German than it is to Russian, that it's related to both, and that it's not very close to either. If you want it quantified, that can be done to various degrees with corpora, from a page of text to some more representative sample of the language - but I don't intend to spend hours doing that; I'd be shocked if no one else has.

Similarly, as Serpent said, she's studied both Italian and German, and is a native Russian speaker - and comes to the same conclusion from that perspective.

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4215 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 15 of 24
30 May 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Most of Russia's Latinate imports come via French, since the Russian nobility once spoke French amongst
themselves. German has many more words culled directly from Latin, since Latin was so integral to the educational
system until the 20th century. That being said, German also has many Gallicisms borrowed from its next door
neighbor. I would think, however, that the Latinate vocabulary in German would be more transparent to an Italian
speaker.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 24
30 May 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
If anyone is truly into this, I'd suggest a rough or imperfect starting point would be to look at Swadesh lists.

P.S. Another way to get a very rough idea is to count the items that I found on the IDS project and checking off boxes for German, Italian and Russian under "Advanced Browsing" on the left.

Edited by Chung on 30 May 2013 at 5:59pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version