United States
Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 4
30 May 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I just ran across a recently-published novelette titled The Gist. It's about a broke translator who's asked to translate a book written in an unknown language. But the author of The Gist decided to try an experiment: he wrote the novelette in English, asked a friend to translate it to French, and then asked a writer he admired to translate it back to English. All three versions are included in the final book.

The story of how the novella was written
A description, an except and ordering information

Quote:
A dealer in old books, lost books — books no-one knows even exist. A man who works for him, prizing meaning from places where it is deeply hidden. A book, at first unintelligible…but which begins to reveal its secrets in ways the translator could never have guessed.

This is the story of The Gist, but that’s only the beginning of the journey. Michael Marshall Smith’s original novelette was then translated into French by Benoît Domis, before being rendered back into English by Nicholas Royle —who had no access to the original text or author during the process.

All three versions are presented in this edition. The idea is to discover what happened during the process, how much the story changed while passing through two other minds and another language…

To see if The Gist survived.

This novelette was published by Subterranean Press, which is a tiny, specialty press that normally prints beautiful limited editions. It's definitely an expensive book for the length of the story. I just ordered one of the last two copies at Amazon.com at a pretty steep discount.

I figured that novelette might appeal to some other people on HTLAL. Not only does it tell the story of deciphering an unknown language, but it offers an opportunity to see a professional round-trip translation, and compare each of the different versions.

(And while I'm thinking about it, has anybody ever written a true bilingual French/English book—not merely the same text in two languages, but one story which requires two languages to read? I know about the film Bon Cop, Bad Cop, but not any books which involve multiple languages and code switching in the same way.)

Edited by emk on 30 May 2013 at 5:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 4
30 May 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I have a copy of a truly bilingual Spanish-English book, which I picked up second-hand in a university town, but don't have it to hand at the moment, and the title escapes me. There are plenty of mid-sentence language changes, and it requires a quite high level in both languages, including a lot of cultural familiarity; I can't fully comprehend it, despite reading Spanish at an often-adequate level.

1 person has voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4536 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
30 May 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
The U.S. publishing house McSweeney's has a quarterly literary publication that I've
subscribed to for a while, generally of very high quality. They recently dedicated an
issue to a similar experiment, wherein very short stories are translated from an L2-
>ENG->L3->ENG->L4->ENG. The cover appropriately shows a telephone, a reference to the
telephone game (tangent- I know this exists in Japanese as 伝言ゲーム, would be curious
about other languages).

Unfortunately, the editor shunned the use of translators, people who have dedicated
their life to the subtle craft of translation. He instead called upon writers, many of
whom have only a basic grasp of the languages they're translating from. What's more, if
you read the translator's notes, some of them seem to be under the impression that they
weren't allowed to use a dictionary.

Maybe it would have been more interesting if the editor had framed it as a hilarious
experiment in amateur translation, rather than a philosophical inquiry into the nature
of translation itself.

Anyway, I hope that "The Gist" is a more interesting experiment. I really like the
idea.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 4
31 May 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
osoymar wrote:
(tangent- I know this exists in Japanese as 伝言ゲーム, would be curious
about other languages).

I've never heard of that as the "telephone game" before ... only as Chinese whispers.

In Italian I've heard it referred to as il gioco del passaparola.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version