dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 4
30 May 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I've been watching a show on S4C called cariad@iaith which follows a group of Welsh learners through a week-long immersion school. It is hosted by the same people who do another S4C show for learners called Hwb, which also has an extensive YouTube Channel. Does anyone else here watch these shows? I don't study Welsh (yet), but I've been enjoying the shows anyway.

Sadly, most of the video on the S4C streaming service, Clic, is limited to the UK only, but a proxy service like Expat Shield will get you access. What's great about the Clic videos is that they have subtitles that can be turned on and off in both English and Welsh (depending on the program). I wish TG4 (the Irish TV station) did that. I've also figured out how to save the video and subtitle files and turn them into an MP4 video that plays on my iPad, but since I suspect posting that process may be against forum rules I won't detail it here.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Tahl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4099 days ago

26 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh
Studies: Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 4
01 June 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
I've been watching a show on S4C called
cariad@iaith which follows
a group of Welsh learners through a week-long immersion school. It is hosted by the
same people who do another S4C show for learners called
Hwb, which also has an extensive
YouTube Channel. Does anyone else here
watch these shows? I don't study Welsh (yet), but I've been enjoying the shows anyway.

Sadly, most of the video on the S4C streaming service, Clic, is limited to the UK only,
but a proxy service like Expat Shield will get you access. What's great about the Clic
videos is that they have subtitles that can be turned on and off in both English and
Welsh (depending on the program).

Nice to see someone writing about Hwb and cariad@iaith here! The same
production company, Fflic, makes both these shows, and they're keenly aware that Welsh
speakers and learners outside the UK are desperate to see Welsh language TV content
legally.

What they've put on YouTube is nearly the entire contents of each Sunday's Hwb,
broken into segments of different types. Those include Dysgwr yr Wythnos
(Learner of the Week), Y Wers Gymraeg ('The Welsh Course,' a satirical soap
opera), actual lessons (Gwersi) that prepare one of the hosts to interview
celebrity guests in Welsh, and then the actual interviews with those guests.
Everything is aimed at adults. Some of the segments are aimed at more early-stage
learners (e.g., the Hwb Bach segments), and some at more fluent speakers (e.g.,
anything with 'Wales Shark').

I don't routinely watch Hwb because my Welsh is beyond the point where it's
instructive for me, but I do still watch it sometimes for the pleasure of hearing
Welsh along with moving pictures. I've appeared on the show in one of their Dysgwr
o Dramor
(Learner from Overseas) segments -- my interview is
here.
4 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 4
02 June 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Thanks Tahl. Their youTube content is indeed fantastic. The loss of the subtitling though means I can't really
watch until I get my Welsh up, but all the great Welsh materials I've amassed recently is threatening to call
me away from my Irish so perhaps that time isn't far away...
1 person has voted this message useful

Tahl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4099 days ago

26 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh
Studies: Spanish, Finnish

Message 4 of 4
02 June 2013 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Come to the dark side! And, most importantly, use the free audio course at www.saysomethinginwelsh.com.
Don't be put off by the intro course (of something like 17 hours of material) being free; it's a labor of love for
the guys who created it. It's unquestionably the best way into Welsh. Happy to tell you more if you want!

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version