Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 6
01 June 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
I have been reading Le Petit Nicolas recently, and I came across a reference to the line "My tailor is rich", which I have heard is from the old version of Anglais sans peine.

In the Petit Nicolas story "Djodjo", the school is visited by a boy who only speaks English. Agnan, who is the first in the class and the chouchou of the maitresse, claims to speak English. Here is the whole section

Quote:
« Moi je possède quelques rudiments d’anglais », a dit Agnan, qui, il faut le dire, parle bien. Mais après qu’Agnan eut sorti ses rudiments à Djodjo, Djodjo l’a regardé et puis il s’est mis à rire et il s’est tapé le front avec le doigt. Agnan était très vexé, mais Djodjo avait raison. Après, on a su qu’Agnan lui avait raconté des choses sur son tailleur qui était riche et sur le jardin de son oncle qui était plus grand que le chapeau de sa tante . Il est fou, Agnan!

I have also recently read the book, "A Year in the Merde" by Stephen Clarke, which has a running joke based on the phrase. They are trying to start an English tea room, and the French characters think the name should be "My Tea is Rich".

So, this phrase seems to be a part of French consciousness. Can anyone give any other references? I've heard that it's mentioned in one of the Asterix comics, but I'm not sure which one.
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6168 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
01 June 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
From Wikipedia,

"[My tailor is rich] a été parodiée et reprise de nombreuses fois, par exemple dans La
Cantatrice chauve, Astérix chez les Bretons, Le Petit Nicolas (histoire "Djodjo") ou Le
Gendarme à New York mais elle est aussi utilisée en aviation pour la même raison de
parodie."

I never would have thought that it was referenced so much.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5469 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
03 June 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
"My tailor is rich" is the first line from the first ever Assimil book (Anglais sans Peine - written in the late 1920s). Hence, it is the first English sentence that many French people came across when learning English, giving them fond memories of it.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 6
03 June 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I referenced it once during a French class and the prof knew of it.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
04 June 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Emk recently found a copy of the Assimil biography, which is also entitled My Tailor is Rich, and
posted a short review here:

Link

- And isn't Petit Nicolas delightful? - If you're enjoying it, there are numerous other titles in the series.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 6
04 June 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Today I heard about another work of art inspired by Assimil. Eugène Ionesco was inspired to write play The Bald Soprano (La Cantatrice Chauve) while trying to learn English with Assimil. It seems the play is made up of meaningless banter and discussions, much like the way one Assimil lesson follows another.

Wikipedia article

This was mentioned on a Duolingo thread, which also said that the play is not that hard to read in French.

@songlines: it was you who inspired me to pick up Le Petit Nicolas. I have the book in French, of which I am on my second reading, and the CD's in French, to which I have listened 4-5 times. I am understanding more and more with each listening, and will start one of the other titles once I've read this one 3-4 times.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version