Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Anyone else enjoy Καθαρεύουσα literature?

Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4255 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 1 of 13
03 June 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I know that most Greeks hate καθαρεύουσα, but I have perverse love of reading literature written in it. I read
novels in Standard Demotic as well, but there's plenty of fun stuff, often in the public domain and available on-
line, that's written in καθαρεύουσα. Some of the things that I have enjoyed reading:

Short stories by Papadiamantis, Vizyinos, Vikelas, and others.

Βικέλα Δημητρίου, Λουκῆς Λάρας

Χανς Κρίστιαν Ἀνδερσεν (μεταφρ. τοῦ Δ. Βικέλα), Παραμύθια Δανικά

Ἰουλίου Βέρν, Περιοδεία τῆς γῆς εἰς ὀγδοήκοντα ἡμέρας

Ροΐδου Ἐμμανουήλ, Πάπισσα Ἰωάννα

Anyone have any other favorites?

Edited by Γρηγόρη on 03 June 2013 at 6:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4158 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 13
04 June 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Papadiamandis, Kalvos, and some of the others you mentioned.

I don't think people hate katharevousa exactly. It's just that it's linked with past eras, ideological wars and bad school teaching. Not to mention some really horrible texts written in it.

One of the most shocking things in my life was to see Papadiamandis "translated" in the demotic. I still can't get over that one!

Does Estia still come in katharevousa? When I was taking the panellinies exams it was, and we were supposed to read it in order to become more familiar with those types of the language. Personally I think that if it comes as a natural expression it's good, if it tries to imitate the ancient style, it becomes complicated, unnatural, forced and ugly.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5399 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 13
04 June 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
How big is the gap between katharevousa and ancient (koine) Greek? It is mainly new words or is the Grammar too changed to understand its texts from an ancient point of view of the language?

Where do you find this kind of texts
Quote:
often in the public domain and available on-
line
?

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4158 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 4 of 13
04 June 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
double post...

Edited by renaissancemedi on 04 June 2013 at 8:54am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4158 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 5 of 13
04 June 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Katharevousa is called that, because its purpose was to clense the language from foreigh elements. So, it turned back to the ancient texts for words and styles. Some gifted writers did well, some others not so well... As for the gap: In my view the texts are uneven in how close they get to the ancient language. Some of them were even trying to imitate Thucidides, a model of beauty and clarity. They produced monsters, again in my opinion. The ones who actually wrote out of love for the language, not checking every other word in an ancient grammar or a syntax manual, produced good texts. It's so difficult to seperate in your head the ancient,kathareviusa and demotic elements, mainly because everything coexists somehow in this modern language. I may be biased, but I think today is the richest version of our language, because we can draw from such a wonderful and diverse past. So, learn as much as possible but if you can't separate exactly the eras don't feel it's your fault, because many many times, it just isn't possible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4044 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 6 of 13
04 June 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Well I dislike Katharevousa for a) for political reasons in that it completely clashes
with my views on perscriptivism vs descriptivism in language, as well as the vast
ideological baggage it comes with and b) from a linguistic point of view. Not only is
it a poor approximation, and some of its ancient sounding neologisms horrible from an
ancient pov, but it killed off some genuine natural ancient words which had just
evolved naturally.

BUT outside of academic and intellectual writings, I actually enjoy some
elements of the full on literary tradition. I'm not talking about the guy who tried to
write in Anc Greek χωρίς απαρέμφατο but you know. Brief favourites being: Emmanuel
Rhoidis (who also, IIRC, wrote a defence of demotic...in puristic)and Alexandros
Papadiamantis was great, a fantastic psychological profiler, both probably top for me.

Also it worked great for translations of certain works, so there is that. So, yes,
divorced of its idealism its actually kind of cool. ESPECIALLY when authors play with
register and have lower class people talk in almost village like dimotic. Reminiscent
of those old Sanskrit plays. I do think though generally (modern) Greek prose has came
a long way since though. But once you get over the knee jerk reaction its nice to read
now and then.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4158 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 7 of 13
04 June 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:
I'm not talking about the guy who tried to
write in Anc Greek χωρίς απαρέμφατο but you know.

Who tried that? It sounds like a joke!

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4044 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 8 of 13
04 June 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Lykeio wrote:
I'm not talking about the guy who tried to
write in Anc Greek χωρίς απαρέμφατο but you know.

Who tried that? It sounds like a joke!

I know right? I can't remember...which is frustrating me, I came across this a while back
in an article and actually read some, it was...bizarre. It certainly was not Rangavis,
who for some reason is in my head. Did he try to re-introduce the infinitive in his
plays? Something around that.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version