Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 38
22 September 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
How many languages does one have to speak to attend a polyglot conference? With three languages, I'm definitely
not a polyglot - but I'd love to meet up with other language learners! Looking forward to more info...
1 person has voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 38
23 September 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
We had lots of aspiring polyglots at the conference in Budapest. I would say that the "rule" is that you have to speak a minimum of one language ;)
9 persons have voted this message useful

doubleUelle
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3815 days ago

67 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Thai

Message 19 of 38
07 December 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I would DEFINITELY be interested in attending a polyglot conference in North America.

Please keep me updated on this.

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5875 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 20 of 38
08 February 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to let you know that we had a great offer to sponsor the next Polyglot Conference in Novi Sad this year. We have therefore decided to put the date for the Montreal Conference back a little, so we can do both (as you may know we organise these conferences in our spare time and it does take a lot of work to make them a reality). More information will follow, so do watch out for it. I'll start a new thread about Novi Sad. :)   

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5627 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 38
08 February 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that we had a great offer to sponsor the next Polyglot Conference in Novi Sad this year. We have therefore decided to put the date for the Montreal Conference back a little, so we can do both (as you may know we organise these conferences in our spare time and it does take a lot of work to make them a reality). More information will follow, so do watch out for it. I'll start a new thread about Novi Sad. :)   

I have already seen some people speculating on the internet, so your first - hand information on the Polyglot Conferences is very valuable for our forum members on HTLAL. Yes, it's the best thing that we have an own thread for every different Polyglot Conference, otherwise the discussions will mingle up and people get difficulties to find important infos for that conference in question which they can afford to visit.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 February 2014 at 3:23pm

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4114 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 22 of 38
28 July 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Once again asking against hope this will actually ever happen (particularly because the last post in this thread happened almost six months ago), but has there been ANY progress on organizing a polyglot gathering on this continent? Brian has kept very quiet in regards to that, and no more information has come up here or in other outlets.

I'm sure this line of reasoning has come up before and to a few people it will sound an awful lot like I'm complaining, but I'd like to see this happen at least once on this side of the Atlantic for one very good reason: those of us who live south of the US border tend to earn a lot less than Europeans, and mobilizing to Europe, even for a week, is an investment verging on the absurd. I don't know about other people, but at least for me, the money required for attending Berlin 2015 would be more then two months worth of my wages.

Since I've brought the topic up, I may be asked, "then why don't you organize it?" Quite simply because 1) I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to start, and 2) given my country's reputation, I'm not sure about how many people would attend a gathering in Mexico City (and I would understand people's hesitations).

So please, if this is never going to happen, just obliterate for once and for all the few Latin American members' hopes of a Gathering happening somewhere they don't have to sell a kidney to go to, and let us forget about it already.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5875 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 23 of 38
28 July 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Once again asking against hope this will actually ever happen (particularly because the last post in this thread happened almost six months ago), but has there been ANY progress on organizing a polyglot gathering on this continent? Brian has kept very quiet in regards to that, and no more information has come up here or in other outlets.

I'm sure this line of reasoning has come up before and to a few people it will sound an awful lot like I'm complaining, but I'd like to see this happen at least once on this side of the Atlantic for one very good reason: those of us who live south of the US border tend to earn a lot less than Europeans, and mobilizing to Europe, even for a week, is an investment verging on the absurd. I don't know about other people, but at least for me, the money required for attending Berlin 2015 would be more then two months worth of my wages.

Since I've brought the topic up, I may be asked, "then why don't you organize it?" Quite simply because 1) I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to start, and 2) given my country's reputation, I'm not sure about how many people would attend a gathering in Mexico City (and I would understand people's hesitations).

So please, if this is never going to happen, just obliterate for once and for all the few Latin American members' hopes of a Gathering happening somewhere they don't have to sell a kidney to go to, and let us forget about it already.

Thanks for raising this. It woul dbe great to see many more people from the community at an event in North America. Novi Sad was too good an offer for us to pass up as it had the backing of the Serbian Government. Besides, Novi Sad is a beautiful city. We have therefore put the North American Polyglot Conference back to October 2015. It will be taking place then though. Exact date to be confirmed, but we've started planning it already! NYC here we come! :)

Mithrandir
Triglot
United States
Joined 3959 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Russian

Message 24 of 38
31 July 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Too bad about not happening this year. However I guess the silver lining is more time to
prepare a fantastic conference in 2015. I am very much looking forward to attending!

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version